Town: Port Talbot
Boat name: Fox Cub
Make: Wetline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Evinrude 4hp 2stroke
RIBase
Hi from Port Talbot

Hi from Port Talbot

Hi everyone; a very new beginner to boats, I am hoping to do my VHF course soon so I can take out our Wetline 2.6 with Evinrude twin cylinder 4hp two stroke....

I have gone through huge amounts of advice and information on the internet, and we have good equipment, such as VHF and 180N manual gas lifejackets.

Looking to use the boat inshore around the coast to take photographs of wildlife and generally enjoy in fair weather. Dream is to go to Cardigan Bay in the future (when I have much more experience) to possibly photograph the dolphins.

I know boats often have names, but wonder if it is possible to name our little tender craft (see what I did there!) or whether naming is generally done with the larger boats. Also do they then need to be registered, please? Thanks in advance, and I am sure my wife and I will learn a lot from this forum.

Tyrone (Or Ty)
Old 29 July 2014, 13:04   #2

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
Hi Ty, welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll learn a lot here - as we all do.

Firstly, it sounds like you've got a sensible head on your shoulders to think about the things you have listed which is to be commended!

However, don't be too worried about "having to do a VHF course" in order to take the boat out. While it's good practise (and a legal requirement) to have a license to be able to use one generally to call your mates, etc., you can get away with using one without a license for emergency purposes. That said, it's essential to at least know how to use it correctly in order to (God forbid) pass any mayday messages if required (there are plenty of sources of information regarding the format of mayday messages on the net). I have a hand-held in my grab-bag that I would use in the same situation.

I'm not saying don't do a course, and I am planning to buy a fixed VHF and go on the course to get a license in the near future, but it's not something that should stop you going on the water. So feel free to go out with your VHF as a "back-up" until you have done a course.

I can't see why you shouldn't name your boat regardless of size, and it doesn't necessarily have to be registered either. It's usually large and/or commercial boats that tend to be registered.

That's just my thoughts, I'm sure others will be along to say hello and offer their opinion/advice soon.

So name your boat and enjoy the water!

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 13:23   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Hello Ty.

All of what Ovey said, plus this bit:

Is your SIB the tender to a larger vessel? If it IS, then you should be cautious about naming it (or at least marking the name on it). Tenders generally carry the name of the mother craft and a T.T. designation

Mother craft - Loose Goose
Tender - T.T. Loose Goose (Tender To Loose Goose)

The convention wouldn't bother me, but I'd check the insurance implications, as they often require the mother craft's name be on the tender to include it in the overall policy. Just one to think about...

Not a big fan of manual gas jackets - but that's what you've got and they beat having nothing! I'd nearly prefer a basic foam PFD if messing about in the water around a SIB.
Old 29 July 2014, 19:14   #4

RIBase
Hi,

Thanks both for your prompt and most welcome advice in your replies. Ovey, I used SSB CB for years so am aware of radio protocols, and know the phonetic alphabet to a Tango I can't wait to launch and try it out. (I would leave my VHF on channel 16 to receive any Coastguard weather updates or warnings). Wilk, it is our only boat, so not a tender for a larger craft, and I see the point and understand the reasoning by it. When I say manual, they are very lightweight, but pull the cord and you have a full size on your back life preserver, so that is why we chose them. We are in our sixties and not super fit, so it beats blowing them up (though I did blow them up with just huff and puff to check how they feel and fit). The automatic ones would prolly go bang the second a little spray hit it, so that was a no-no I assume you are thinking that they tend to restrict movement when deployed and it would be difficult to re-enter the SIB? My hope is that they will not need to be deployed, and treading water/breast stroke may get me (or my other half) back to the boat in the event of a de-camp. We have a couple of dry bags which we shall stuff with dry clothing etc. and I have a GoPro which is waterproof, and a Canon DSLR which isn't, so will refrain from taking the DSLR out until I can see what the experience is likely to suggest....
Old 29 July 2014, 19:40   #5

Length: 3m +
I suspect Willk is referring to the fact that when the bubbles from your breath are coming up from your nose being underwater and its dark and cold and wet and you are confused as to what just happened then it is easier than you'd imagine to not find the manual toggle and pull it. Thats the less unpleasant version. The other version is you bang your head going over or when hitting a rock under water... ...you are unconscious and so don't pull the cord and as a result become a statistic.

There are two designs of auto - one with a dissolving tablet and one that uses hydrostatic pressure. Each has advantages and disadvantages but neither should go off with some spray. A good sized wave repeatedly over the bow - big enough and wet enough to soak your hair might dissolve the tablet. Will not be enough for the hydrostatic pressure.

But you will at some point want to get in and out the boat. Either may go pop when you discover the water is a bit deeper than you expected! I did this the other week with a foam PFD on and while it was a touch embarrassing and not the best time to discover a leak it the dry suit but the worst that was needed was swim in holding the painter. Had I been in my auto it'd have cost me £25 to reset it...
Old 30 July 2014, 09:14   #6

RIBase
ShinyShoe; those are valid points. I was told (perhaps incorrectly) that the manual gas were best as the auto would discharge in an inflatable (let alone a RIB! at some speed!), as though as soon as the jacket tasted salt it would fire..... it seems the hydrostatic may actually be a better bet, but these will suffice for many a while, and if we do upgrade the boat in the future, we can upgrade to autos and use these for guests... (we have two; one for me and one for my wife). Will practice the reach for (but not the pull of) the cord on numerous occasions....
Old 30 July 2014, 09:31   #7

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
I've got auto inflate for me and my missus (the paper disc type) and we got pretty drenched over 15ish miles on sunday when the wind turned and spray kept breaking over us. They didn't go off. The actuator is generally rolled up inside the bladder which is inside the cover of the LJ - it would take a lot of spray/rain to make it go off.

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 17:05   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I work in the oil industry & we do regular helicopter ditching training and every time I try to set off the manual jacket (can't wear auto in aircraft) I struggle to find & pull the toggle.
During these exercises we are in wetsuits in a indoor pool & know exactly when we are going to get dunked.We are expecting to need to activate the jacket which have enlarged toggles too but I always seem to struggle .
So speaking from experience of having tried a manual jacket I'd rather replace the odd cartridge in an auto if needed. Although in approximately 10 years I've only had one go off & that was a jacket that was left in a damp locker
I wouldn't put my safety ahead of a sub £20 recharge kit!
Old 09 August 2014, 18:19   #9

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
HI Ty i thoroughly recommend Swansea water sports for training prices are reasonable and Ceri (the instructor is very good) I'll be looking to my VHF with them later this year. But did my PWC with them. FOr an idea of what can be done try and do the 2 day RYA LEvel 2 powerboat course. YOu get to play on the sea with a real machine!

Swansea Watersports - Swansea Watersports