Boat name: Sea you anon
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard DF 150
MMSI: 235054129
RIBase
Hi from Aberdeenshire...

Hi All,

Have decided after a few years of arguing with myself to get into this RIB malarky! So, PB2 booked and now on the look out for my first RIB purchase :-). Early days on the research front but thinking around 5 to 6 M with a modern 2 Stroke circa 100/150. Any suggestions / advice greatly received. Cheers, Cameron
Old 10 January 2018, 13:05   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum Cameron.

Agree with your assessment of around 5-6m boat length, but you can go smaller. Depends what you're planning to do storage wise, who you have helping with launches, etc.

I launch out of Cruden Bay, Rosehearty, Stonehaven, and weather on east coast was decidedly lumpy last year, averaging F4-6 on the days we were out from April through to October, so something that gives a comfortable ride with a deep V hull when the weather turns makes absolute sense.

Boats, then pretty much anything including Ribcraft 585, Avon Searider 5.6m, Humber Ocean Pro, Tornado 5.5 or even Delta Dash 5.5m would be good choice.

Depends what you mean by modern 2-stroke, as in Tohatsu TLDi or E-TEC, etc?

If you're looking for second-hand outfit, then in most cases it will already be paired with an engine, and the majority have moved into 4-stroke, unless it's an old outfit. That said a Searider 5.6m is perfectly paired with Yamaha 90hp, and I know a friend with Tornado 5.5m with Mercury 90hp.

If you want to widen search for a boat from other folk on the forum - then you'll need to indicate budget, number of people proposed on board, layout - utilitarian or leisure, must-haves, etc.
Old 10 January 2018, 14:55   #3

Welcome to the forum.

What sort of budget and use do you have in mind?

How many people and do you prefer jockey seats or a combo with bench seats etc?

There is a ribcraft 585 on eBay just now with an optimax which would be great setup if budget stretches to it. I don't know seller so you will need to do normal due diligence.

If you only want a 2 stroke that will limit choices if you have a good budget so unless you have a good reason for only 2 stroke then worth reconsidering.
Old 10 January 2018, 15:13   #4

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
ust to echo the above - good choice of boat size for a first rib. I wouldn't be too set on a 2 stroke. Lots of moderns engines now 4 stroke and fuel economy predictably better, plus generally quieter which is just more pleasant on a small boat where you can't get too far from the engine.

Some general idea of budget will help people give you sensible advice on boats.
Old 10 January 2018, 16:04   #5

Town: Newburgh
RIBase
Thanks all for your response, very helpful. I guess the 'petrol head' in me says go with the 2 stroke, love the smell! Was thinking Optimax, E-Tec or some such but I guess I would not rule out 4 stroke if the right package came along. Use would be for leisure on East and West coast, typically carrying 2 to 5 persons. Liking the look of some of the 'cruises' mentioned so might think about using for this too with potential for overnights etc. Budget wise I am thinking 10K +/- 2K. Not so keen on the full Jockey Seat arrangements, would prefer bench type layout with Jockey for Pilot. It seems I am on a bit of a learning curve here! Cheers, Cameron
Old 10 January 2018, 16:09   #6

Ribcraft on eBay....

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ribcraft-58...06?_mwBanner=1

You should really look at your engine choices and research them correctly. The best place is the hull truth in America forum, they have a lot of engines there so if there are problems they find them.

The optimax I've seen people calling them opti bombs....I don't know why specifically so do your homework on the hull truth. All engines can have niggles so don't be put off, just buy and check the for the common issues.

One thing to note, 2 stroke boats are harder to sell some people will claim. This may or may not bother you but putting it out there. As the buyer who wants a 2 stroke then it may help you get a better deal.
Old 10 January 2018, 17:34   #7

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
You'll not get a representative view of engines on an American forum as American boating is totally different to UK boat use and leads to different faults they tend to do higher hours in shorter time and often at higher speeds for longer
Far better to ask about a specific engine on a UK forum and get UK specific advice
Old 10 January 2018, 17:49   #8

The water in USA is very different from UK, ours is wetter stuff!

There are tens of thousands more engines in USA than here and not everyone does mega hours in short years, for outboard fault sites and research you can do worse than to hit up the hull truth or some bespoke forums like etec or mercury owners etc.

These sites are certainly not the be all and end all but will have far more info than a rib site largely with UK people when it comes to outboards in GENERAL terms. They also have a lot of guides on how to do basic things if you need to check an engine prior to buying. Would also do no harm to ask anyone on here if they have X engine when you pick and get some info.

Lack of use and corrosion certainly don't help but don't assume that everyone in USA does hundreds of hours each year, certainly lots do but lots don't!
Old 11 January 2018, 07:03   #9

Town: Newburgh
RIBase
All great info guys, thanks. I'm in no great hurry to purchase so have time on my side to properly research and monitor the 2nd hand market for trends etc. Cheers, Cameron