Old 16 July 2019, 19:55   #1

Town: Long Sutton
Boat name: Kavango
Make: Excel Volante
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF15A
Hi!!

Hi, just popping in to introduce myself.

I've had this feeling in my gut for a while now and its got stronger recently. I just want a boat!!

I have no experience or knowledge whatsoever but aim to learn as much as I can from now on in - books, courses, asking questions and getting out there should over time do the trick I hope.

I'm in my early 40's, live in South Lincolnshire which means I'm just a short drive from the nice North Norfolk Coast.

This adventure will be for myself, the enemy, the boy and the love of my life our Newfie dog.....

I have been researching and that always seemed to end up with me reading posts on here so have joined!!
Old 16 July 2019, 21:00   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Welcome. Before you go and splash out on a boat - do your Pb2 course it will help inform your buying decisions...
Old 16 July 2019, 21:44   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Noodle and welcome to the forum. We are not too far from you being a bit south of Peterborough but that's enough to skew out favoured launch are to the Essex coast.

Have you seen any particular size/outboard power and/or makes of outfit that attract you?

David
Old 17 July 2019, 12:04   #4

Hi Poly, thanks for the advice, I have had a good look at the RYA website which is very useful and the course you suggest is taught close by.

My situation and requirements has pretty much made the decision on "type" of boat that would be suitable so am sure I can start the search now.

Cheers
Old 17 July 2019, 13:33   #5

Hi Fenlander, I think so! I will explain my situation.

We love caravanning and camping so it needs to fit in either a large camping trailer with my other gear and be able to go through a caravan door. So a Sib or Frib it is then. I dont want to spend too much initially just in case say the missus isn't a fan or something so that narrows it down to a sib in my eyes. I also don't want it to become a huge financial drain either as that could possibly stop us being able to go to the places we want to use it in the first place!! So I would prefer to be able to carry/wheel the gear to where it will be launched (will always be 2 of us).

There will normally be myself, I'm 6'4" and a BMI busting 120 kg, the missus who's normal size, the dog who's 68kg and the lad who's 7. So initially of the sibs I started looking at the larger Honwaves. So a T40 with ally floor too heavy, so decided on a T38 air floor but concerned about the dogs claws. Decided would be ok if I trimmed some gym mats to the shape as a bit of protection but that may not be needed I dont know. I then noticed posts about quality control issues currently affecting some of these boats so decided my money can go elsewhere.

Now currently looking at the Excel sibs, seem well built if a bit utilitarian looking. Would prefer a flat floor for the dog to lie down.

I also want something future proof so that when I actually know what I am doing we can go out exploring on holiday - France, Spain, Croatia and Italy etc (no dog - too hot). This gets me on to the OB, it seems if you have a 6hp or less OB in France then there is less bureaucracy which would suit me fine. Now I dont want to go tear arsing around especially with the dog and the lad, just explore and get from A-B with no drama but TBH if it was myself and a mate then yes a bit more fun would be wanted but at this stage being a beginner an OB that does the job in the UK and could be used in the countries above legally with minimal cost/paperwork would be perfect! I could always get something with a bit more oomph at a later date when I have more experience. Obviously the OB needs to be of the size that could be carried without spinal injuries but be able to shift 3 people and a big doggy on the water. Looking at a 4S knowing that they cost more in maintenance and have to be lay down correctly for transport but dont get on with 2 strokes all that smoke and smell.

I'm currently thinking of an Excel Volaire/ Volante 390, launch wheels with a Suzuki DF??

This is the bit I need help with - can I get an OB that would be good for France, learning the ropes here but still have enough power to be safe? Could a 6hp accomplish this with the passengers as above???

Sorry that got a bit long winded, If I need to move the post let me know.

Cheers
Old 17 July 2019, 14:23   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
bedtime reading noodle & welcome
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/inflata...aqs-75094.html

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/which-s...sib-62208.html
Old 17 July 2019, 15:06   #7

Hi Jeff, I have!! But felt my situation is quite uncommon, the combination of big dog, being a beginner and trying to have France covered in the future aswell with a single setup if you know what I mean. I've been reading every night for hours for a week odd, lots to learn.

Cheers
Old 17 July 2019, 15:34   #8

Ok some scattergun thoughts...

Air floor not an issue with a dog. The air vs hard floor is all about weight and assembly time so a little related to how frequently you might want to set it up in a week's holiday... i.e. daily or once at the start and leave inflated for a week or so.

All the 4 stroke outboards are quite decent so have a good look at their weights and features and just choose one that appeals.

With your crew load and a SIB that is probably going to be 3.4m+ then you will be at displacement speed which is not a problem as long as you plan your trips re tides, weather and currents etc.. I spent 20yrs taking smallcraft to sea before I used anything that could plane.

I don't know anything about smallcraft in france re outboard sizes but many take their outfits with 15/20hp motors.

In truth you would need to jump from 6hp to 15hp min to guarantee a decent planning performance if that is a future goal.

Re 4 stroke vs 2 stroke it's a very personal choice. I've been 2 stroke for most of my life and was pleased to go to a 4 stroke in 2016 with the purchase of a new motor and then 4 stroke again with another new motor in 2018. I have just returned to 2 stroke (15hp) because of the unbeatable weight vs power ratio.

What's your experience of 2 stroke? A modern 2 stroke outboard running on quality oil at 100:1 as many are has minimal fumes and smell. For me the biggest nuisance is getting rid of the unused fuel/oil mix.

Are you buying new or used? The Honwave issues seem to be just in the past two years so if you buy used built before they had issues then you should be fine... particularly as you can see the boat on collection and examine it for problems.

If you have considered a T40 with alloy floor but decided too heavy do think about the T35. They are not quite so bulky and 30lbs lighter to move about but still very roomy and stable.

That Excel Volaire looks very interesting but still as of yet I haven't seen a write up on its performance on the sea from a sibber who is experienced in other types to give a meaningful comparison.
Old 17 July 2019, 15:43   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Hi Noodle, our situations have similarities. I’m currently in the process of researching a SIB purchase to take abroad with our camper. I wouldn’t let the French bureaucracy put you off buying the correct engine for your setup. As long as you have the correct paperwork they are pretty benign. I wouldn’t spoil the outfit just because of the French. The rules tend to vary from country to country, so what’s accepted in France, may not be accepted in Croatia/Spain/Italy etc. I tend to go slightly overboard (no pun) & get every bit of paper I can to cover all the bases.
As already said, the dog won’t be a problem on an airfloor, our dog was in RIBS all his life & never marked the tubes.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 15:59   #10

I would just like to say thankyou everyone for the advice!!! It's great that you are willing to help others like this - superb!

I post on a shares forum and it's cut throat!!!
Old 17 July 2019, 17:15   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle View Post

I post on a shares forum and it's cut throat!!!

Aye! We’re just lulling you into a false sense of security, just bide your time.......[emoji23]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 23 July 2019, 19:35   #12

Im in!!!!

Now the proud owner of an Excel Volante 390 with a 15hp Suzuki OB...Yippee!

Have bought some other bits and bobs, anchor, ladder, SH HX300E, vhf, dry bags, 12v pump, seat cushions and bags, transom wheels, life vests and a new buoyancy aid for me as I've gone a bit too porky for my old one.

Really pleased with the boat looks put together well, The high pressure floor surprised me, rock hard but nice and flat for the dog to lie down, I like it, has a keel tube that forms the v shape of the hull, being a complete novice will not know whether it is better or worse than others.

Have fitted some wheels that tbh with this setup had to be located perfectly to avoid hitting the OB, the tubes when lowering, and the splash flappy things when up (t seemed to be impossible to not put some upward pressure on these though as the mounts were put as low as possible without having to put them over the seam tape which I didnt want to do.

Fitted an eye on the inside of the transom for the ladder which fits perfectly over a grab handle but all the weight is on the eye, the grab handle just stops it moving, works a treat.

Got a 15hp Suzuki DF15A second hand been serviced, has done 20 hours, have had it running in a bin of water.

Just lots of learning left to get on with.......

Well chuffed!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190723_142959.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	130183   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190723_142944.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	130184   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190723_142919.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	130185   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190723_143027.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	130186   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190722_134949.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	130187  

Old 23 July 2019, 20:00   #13

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Nice one noodle perfect little set up you have, as Dave says the dog won't harm it but if it does bother you halfords have interlocking tiles very light weight and low cost you can cut to shape easy for added protection
Old 23 July 2019, 21:12   #14

Congratulations, that's quite a substantial first outfit. Are you off to the Norfolk coast soon... let us know how you get on.
Old 24 July 2019, 06:22   #15

RIBase
Nice outfit, do you find the Suzuki easy to lift & man handle?
Old 24 July 2019, 06:43   #16

Hi Jeff thats a great idea, I have got 3 large lightweight gym mats about 8mm thick that I thought of using but they are the perfect size for laying on the ground to blow the boat up on so will keep them for that, I am sure the floor is ok without anything on but if not I will get some of them.

Cheers
Old 24 July 2019, 06:54   #17

Hi Fenlander

Well I thought in the end I might as well just get what I want from the off, instead of using for a bit and then wanting to upgrade, this setup should have me covered I think. I wont be going to the Norfolk coast just yet I'm going to get a bit of studying done first, I need to know what I'm doing if I'm to take the kid and dog out. Still pondering how to recover a hefty dog just incase she goes in the drink, really need something like an engine hoist but pretty certain thats not practical haha!!

Might just pop it in the Welland for a test first off, there is a public slip just up the road from me at Fosdyke. Will let you know about Norfolk.

Cheers
Old 24 July 2019, 07:09   #18

Hi Pikeydave, I must admit its not the easiest, the grab handle under the cowling is a bit awkward, it feels too far underneath, I've been carrying it about 5 metres in the garden but wouldn't want to do more than that very often but I suppose in normal circumstances you wouldn't need to. I will build/buy a trolley shortly to store/move it as it's taking pride of place on the dining room table at the moment!

My missus wouldn't be able to carry it at all, I'm very tall which I think helps. It's pretty easy to get it up onto a table or boot with 2 people though, the bottom is very light for someone to lift it up so it's lying flat, my 6 year old helped me get it on the dining table, helped with a quick flick with the knee to lift it a bit.

But if its just boot to boat near car with 2 people no problem, just one doable but difficult.

Cheers
Old 24 July 2019, 08:17   #19

>>>Might just pop it in the Welland for a test first off, there is a public slip just up the road from me at Fosdyke.

That would not be my first choice for dipping a toe into this boating lark. The Welland is tidal consisting of brown soup surrounded by brown sludge banks. There is nowhere to tie up or get off and nothing to see either upstream or downstream from Fosdyke. If the tide drops while you are on the trip you will find the slipway area vey muddy and at times the current is fast.

Better to get into the Glen nearby at Surfleet. A much cleaner environment, more to see and places to get out.

The Glen slipway is here...

Old 24 July 2019, 08:31   #20

Thanks for that, yeah it is a bit minging was just a thought really as it was close, I take the dog to surfleet up past the golfcourse.

Jut been looking at insurance with craftinsure but in the agreements part when it gives you a quote it states

"The boat will only be left moored or anchored unattended, in non tidal waters"

Seems a bit daft as I would never be covered? What does everyone else do?

Cheers for all this help its really appreciated!