Old 01 January 2017, 18:13   #1

Town: Langbank, Renfrewshire
Boat name: -
Make: Avon Adventure 450
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60hp Mariner
Help me start my RIB adventure

Hi

Having been inspired by some amazing pics online, I'm making some very tentative steps to find out how a small RIB or SIB would help me and the family (wife and 4-year-old twin boys) explore the Firth of Clyde and Loch Lomond, which are both very close to where we live.

I'm looking for advice on:
  • Whether this is a ridiculous idea
  • What size and type of boat would be best for us
  • What size of outboard I'd need - and the difference between 2 and 4-stroke
  • How much I'd be expecting to pay for all this, plus of course life jackets etc

All help - including pointing me towards other sources of info or forum posts on RIB.net - much appreciated.

Thanks!

Nick
Old 01 January 2017, 18:27   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksharpe View Post
Hi

Having been inspired by some amazing pics online, I'm making some very tentative steps to find out how a small RIB or SIB would help me and the family (wife and 4-year-old twin boys) explore the Firth of Clyde and Loch Lomond, which are both very close to where we live.

I'm looking for advice on:
  • Whether this is a ridiculous idea

• Not ridiculous but the kids will be the limiting factor for how far/long and what weather you will tolerate. Beware L.lomond isn't necessarily more sheltered than the upper clyde.
    Quote:
  • What size and type of boat would be best for Us
  • What size of outboard I'd need - and the difference between 2 and 4-stroke
  • How much I'd be expecting to pay for all this, plus of course life jackets etc
Budget will dictate the rest. 2 v 4 isn't important. The bigger the boat the more comfortable, really you want seats for four. At that age they may struggle with jockey seats? The engine size depends on the boat, for what you want you can probably ignore the traditional ribnet " biggest that will fit " type advice. Beware big boat potentially has implications for handling ashore, cars, launching (keeping two kids entertained during launch / recovery faff isn't to be dismissed).

Life jackets are obviously important but clothing to keep everyone warm and dry is probably more expensive and lasts less time before the kids out grow it - bit barring any crisis that is what has the biggest impact on smiles!
Old 01 January 2017, 19:37   #3

Welcome along buddy.

Clyde outboards in Port Glasgow did have a honwave and frib in stock that may be worth looking at as local to you. Give them a call to see if they still have them in stock though as not been in for a few weeks.

As has been said, budget will dictate what suggestions you will get so if you have a rough number in mind and where or how you will store whatever it is that will help people suggest something suitable.
Old 02 January 2017, 16:47   #4

Thanks both, really useful. Didn't even know the Port Glasgow shop existed so will defo give them a call.

I'm thinking £1-1.5k, so boat and engine both second hand I'd imagine.

See this is for sale on the site, don't know if it'd be big enough though.

Thanks!

Nick
Old 02 January 2017, 17:28   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hi mate

Your first obstacle is it for them cold,wet,seasickness,waves etc bearing that in mind best to buy an inexpensive set up to start with 3.5 m boat 15 -20 hp engine if you don't want to trail it look for an air floor boat honwave are a great starting boat.have a look on eBay for a complete set up. Don't skimp on clothing,life jackets etc keep them safe,warm and happy.
Is it ridiculous never your opening a whole new world to them fantastic.
Cost wise new honwave t38 about a grand with engine new just over £3000 15-20 hp just googled it so secondhand should be within your budget.
Good luck cheers
Old 03 January 2017, 12:57   #6
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
I'm thinking £1-1.5k, so boat and engine both second hand I'd imagine.
Well that certainly puts things in perspective. I think the perfect boat for your application would probably be 10x that budget - but my perfect boat is always 10x my budget too!

You can get a small SIB in that budget as you've seen. Is it ideal with two 4 yr olds - probably not. Could you have fun in it on the nice days - certainly. I think your biggest challenge is working out where to sit them. On the tubes, on the floor, on the thwart are your options - and all have pro's and con's some of which are worse for little ones. Wherever they are is going to be wet. Once they are two 10-12 yr old its probably getting a bit cramped too. But it will still work then as a basic "ferry" to get them from Balloch to the islands, or around the Kyles of Bute etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Hi mate

Your first obstacle is it for them cold,wet,seasickness,waves etc bearing that in mind best to buy an inexpensive set up to start with 3.5 m boat 15 -20 hp engine if you don't want to trail it look for an air floor boat honwave are a great starting boat.have a look on eBay for a complete set up. Don't skimp on clothing,life jackets etc keep them safe,warm and happy.
Is it ridiculous never your opening a whole new world to them fantastic.
Cost wise new honwave t38 about a grand with engine new just over £3000 15-20 hp just googled it so secondhand should be within your budget.
Good luck cheers
Quote:
See this is for sale on the site, don't know if it'd be big enough though.
I don't know the specific boat, but the seller is reasonably well known on here. You'd be fine with a 15HP on that just now, but as kids grow 20, or 25 (I think that is the max its rated for?) would be better. Bear in mind that the weight of some 20/25HP engines will be very difficult to lift on off each time.

I can't comment on the price of that boat as I don't follow SIB values, but often the advice would be to buy a package rather than bits.

Many people start off flat packing their boat each time and end up using a trailer as it is more convenient. Beware that is more cost and effort.

Bear in mind you will want and anchor and rope, a VHF radio, and maybe some flares, paddle etc. Have a search for the "what kit do I need" thread. You should really do the VHF course, but you will gain a lot more from a PB2 course so I would prioritise that.
Old 04 January 2017, 18:38   #7

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: pat
Make: Sollent 900
Length: 9m +
Engine: Mercury 300hp Verado
Hi
I purchased a brand new T38 Honwave with brand new Honda 20hp. a couple of years ago.
Really nice looking and easy to pack up and put in the back of the car. Had a rechargeable pump to blow it up.
The problem we had was the floor would bend like a banana, bow to stern when you tried to get up on the plane. Honda could not understand why it was doing this, they sent me another boat, same thing happened. Pressures were as recommend. the only way to get the boat to plane was everyone sitting on the floor.
So if you just want to poodle around these are perfect.
Havn`t tried the 4.0mtr Honwave with floor boards.
Just thought I`d let you know my experiences
Old 05 January 2017, 09:19   #8

A test run?

Again thanks all for your input.

Slightly put off by the thought of wet, cold kids moaning that they weren't having any fun, so it's perhaps back to the drawing board on the RIB idea.

I guess what I really need is to try one out and see how it works for myself. What kind of place would anyone suggest contacting to actually try out a small RIB like the ones I've been considering? I've no idea where to start as they're not the kind of craft it's easy to rent for a few hours.

Best

Nick
Old 05 January 2017, 09:43   #9

Nick,

To clarify you are not considering a Rib, it is known as a SIB, keep that in mind when calling anywhere as a rib has a fibreglass bottom and a SIB does not generally speaking, they are generally blow up or alloy/wooden floors in a SIB and you roll them up for storage. There are fold up ribs but let's not go down that route as well out of budget.

There are places you can hire a SIB online and they will ship it to you, I've never used them so no experience but have a Google or one here- Boat Hire, Outboard Hire and Marine Equipment Hire :: Boats2Go and see what is on offer.

If you buy something decent you can use it and possibly sell it for the same or more than you paid if you buy out of season (now) and sell in season. If you hire one the money out your budget is gone for good but only you can make the decision on if you want to take that chance, pros and cons either way.

You may get someone who will offer a loan of one but they are expensive items when new and generally someone else's pride and joy so you may have more luck asking someone local if they will take you out for a run. I do not own a SIB so can't help I'm afraid.
Old 06 January 2017, 17:25   #10

http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/complet...tml#post737663

worth a look perhaps if you can gather the wedge/what you are after
Old 07 January 2017, 08:59   #11
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Again thanks all for your input.

Slightly put off by the thought of wet, cold kids moaning that they weren't having any fun, so it's perhaps back to the drawing board on the RIB idea.

I guess what I really need is to try one out and see how it works for myself. What kind of place would anyone suggest contacting to actually try out a small RIB like the ones I've been considering? I've no idea where to start as they're not the kind of craft it's easy to rent for a few hours.

Best

Nick
Nick, you probably want to get some training anyway, so why not do a course - or even a taster session. If you shop around you should be able to find a provider who will do small tiller steered boats as part of it. You may need to ask specifically as most people want to use the biggest toys. They may not have any true sibs but see what you can find. E.g. I believe these guys (never met them) have some tiller steered poly boats similar in size and performance to a rib / sib. http://www.ipowerboat.co.uk/courses/4591103170
Old 07 January 2017, 13:11   #12

I seem to remember looking at the Futura (zodiac I think) a fews years ago, It has inflatable full length skegs on each tube, excellent handling and wright ups, more expensive than the honda
May be worth a look at second hand
Happy Hunting
Old 07 January 2017, 13:16   #13

Hi Nick

Type in Zodiac Futura Mk2 images good fun sib
Old 16 February 2017, 19:30   #14

Thanks... Now let's get in the water

Cheers all for your help with this.

We bought one.

Heading up to Loch Lomond on Saturday for a spin, but working in Glasgow has made me want to go right up into town on the river. Does anyone know if the nearest feasible launching point is Port Glasgow? Surely not!

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1297135.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	118034  
Old 16 February 2017, 19:47   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Cheers all for your help with this.

We bought one.

Heading up to Loch Lomond on Saturday for a spin, but working in Glasgow has made me want to go right up into town on the river. Does anyone know if the nearest feasible launching point is Port Glasgow? Surely not!

Nick
Yes it is the closest proper slip. By special arrangement you can (could?) launch at the Renfrew Ferry slipway. With a small SIB there may be other places you could just slip it in without an actual slipway.
Old 16 February 2017, 22:07   #16

that stretch can get some of the worst conditions on the clyde as it gets very narrow. I've had to come home a few times off plane in my rib/previous boats up there so be careful bud. Pretty strong tide too as you would imagine.

Tags
rib