Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 29 October 2012, 13:52   #11
Member
 
Al Baker's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhawk ficht View Post
Respect and welcome to you Al, you must have encountered some interesting situations during your work with Greenpeace, look forward to reading your tales from the high seas.
Hey being from Milford Haven, maybe you remember the Sea Empress oil spill from February 1996?
I did weeks of Ribbing there rescuing oiled birds from the slicks.
That involved a lot of very interesting rocky land sea interface driving and swimming in oily conditions with hands full of sticky birds that try to peck your eyes out.
__________________

__________________
Al Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 14:30   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 562
welcome to the forum and as others have said interesting CV. so where in scotland are you now hiding?

Dave
__________________

__________________
clydeoutboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 14:45   #13
Member
 
Al Baker's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 108
Hello Dave and thanks for the welcome. I'm "hiding" about 100 miles due North of you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
welcome to the forum and as others have said interesting CV. so where in scotland are you now hiding?

Dave
__________________
Al Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 16:31   #14
Trade member
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,455
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Hi Al

welcome to the crazy world of RibNet

Last year Greenpeace snapped up my demo rib all Black Parker 650 diesel. Last I knew of her she was on Artic Sunrise. Would be nice to know how she was and she is being looked after well . Perhaps you came across her?
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 17:27   #15
Dhf
Member
 
Dhf's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Baker View Post
Hey being from Milford Haven, maybe you remember the Sea Empress oil spill from February 1996?
I did weeks of Ribbing there rescuing oiled birds from the slicks.
That involved a lot of very interesting rocky land sea interface driving and swimming in oily conditions with hands full of sticky birds that try to peck your eyes out.
Hi Al,
I must say you've got some awesome pics in your album, I love that one with the boat high up in the trees, and that one with someone being thrown overboard in hot pursuit by the looks of it, training exercise i'm guessing.
As for the Sea Empress what a total disaster that was, which could have been totally avoided btw, If it weren't for certain fat cats putting the pressure on. whilst one of our UK power hubs was running low on reserves, I could say more but........
It was a hearbreaking disgrace to see so much wildlife being killed by man made error. and appalling how they couldn't contain the spillage/disaster, did you know they could have pulled that vessel away sooner, further out to sea and then place muti booms around her. but they didn't they just left her to long spewing crude everywhere..... grrr!!! I could rant all night over this disaster........
Fortunatly due to the weather and tides round here, things got back to nearly normal quicker than expected, with wildlife counts remaining as normal in many cases. Mainly due to good work like yourself and others gave by helping with the clean up operation.
Many thanks to yourself and others who helped
__________________
Dhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 17:31   #16
Member
 
Al Baker's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 108
Hi Andre, the Parker is still on board. I was driving her in the Russian Arctic this summer. Before I arrived she was missing 2 rear seats which had been ripped off by the lifting strops while recovering in heavy weather. Aside from that she's well looked after.
She runs very smoothly but the wireless throttle thing......I've hated wireless throttles since the first time I met one so a bit biased there. Being black and very very quiet has it's advantages. I have a pic or two of her from August if you like. In fact there's already one in my album here: http://www.rib.net/forum/members/152...cture3177.html
__________________
Al Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 00:14   #17
Trade member
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,455
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Baker View Post
Hi Andre, the Parker is still on board. I was driving her in the Russian Arctic this summer. Before I arrived she was missing 2 rear seats which had been ripped off by the lifting strops while recovering in heavy weather. Aside from that she's well looked after.
She runs very smoothly but the wireless throttle thing......I've hated wireless throttles since the first time I met one so a bit biased there. Being black and very very quiet has it's advantages. I have a pic or two of her from August if you like. In fact there's already one in my album here: http://www.rib.net/forum/members/152...cture3177.html
Hi Al, many thanks. I heard about the seats and Scotseats did a super job in replacing them.
Nice picture. The DTS throttle is great but we all have our likes and dislikes.

Regards
Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 00:48   #18
Member
 
Country: Thailand
Town: Phuket
Boat name: Neptune's Chariot
Make: Thai Hong
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam Out F20hp Petrol
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 22
"I've been pursued by Navy, police and coastguards the world over and learned to deal with all manner of emergency situations."

Do you mean pursued as in they wanted you to train/work with them.. or pursued as in they wanted to arrest you ?? haha

Thanks for the intro' I am very new RIB user having just bought one a few weeks ago so it's good to know people like you as a newbie.. I did take my boat out for a trial run last week and found some of it's behavior in slightly choppy sea hard to understand..

A friend and I set out in perfect flat conditions and everything was fine but on the way back the clouds rolled in as did the wind the sea became quite choppy, I soon noticed once the waves picked up a bit that the boat kept slowing down even if the throttle was fully open the boat would suddenly slow down and even in one case to an almost complete halt and the engine cut out (my friend and I had a sudden white look on our faces) but luckily the engine started again on first attempt, but as it would slow down it would then for some reason pick up speed as normal again, then a minute later, without any adjustment to the throttle, slow right down, I played around with adjusting the tilt of the engine and it some cases it seemed to make a difference but others not at all.. This maybe a very rookie complaint Im sure but I couldn't work out what was happening or how to resolve it and keep the boat at a constant speed.. One thing that I thought might have contributed to this behavior when I got the boat out of the water the Hull was full of water as since I discovered a crack in the hull that is now being repaired.

Do you know why it will have behaved like this? Perhaps due to currents under the water or the wind or waves..?? All of the above?? Whats the best way to handle a rib in choppy seas?? Perhaps by this point the hull was so heavy with water it made it impossible for boat to maintain speed? But as mentioned it would suddenly gather up speed again almost at random it seemed..

Very perplexing for a layman like me and a bit scary to be honest when you dont know whats happening or why...


Thanks for any advise you can give
__________________
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 03:16   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley
"I've been pursued by Navy, police and coastguards the world over and learned to deal with all manner of emergency situations."

Do you mean pursued as in they wanted you to train/work with them.. or pursued as in they wanted to arrest you ?? haha

Thanks for the intro' I am very new RIB user having just bought one a few weeks ago so it's good to know people like you as a newbie.. I did take my boat out for a trial run last week and found some of it's behavior in slightly choppy sea hard to understand..

A friend and I set out in perfect flat conditions and everything was fine but on the way back the clouds rolled in as did the wind the sea became quite choppy, I soon noticed once the waves picked up a bit that the boat kept slowing down even if the throttle was fully open the boat would suddenly slow down and even in one case to an almost complete halt and the engine cut out (my friend and I had a sudden white look on our faces) but luckily the engine started again on first attempt, but as it would slow down it would then for some reason pick up speed as normal again, then a minute later, without any adjustment to the throttle, slow right down, I played around with adjusting the tilt of the engine and it some cases it seemed to make a difference but others not at all.. This maybe a very rookie complaint Im sure but I couldn't work out what was happening or how to resolve it and keep the boat at a constant speed.. One thing that I thought might have contributed to this behavior when I got the boat out of the water the Hull was full of water as since I discovered a crack in the hull that is now being repaired.

Do you know why it will have behaved like this? Perhaps due to currents under the water or the wind or waves..?? All of the above?? Whats the best way to handle a rib in choppy seas?? Perhaps by this point the hull was so heavy with water it made it impossible for boat to maintain speed? But as mentioned it would suddenly gather up speed again almost at random it seemed..

Very perplexing for a layman like me and a bit scary to be honest when you dont know whats happening or why...

Thanks for any advise you can give
Welcome to Ribnet AL ;-)
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 03:47   #20
Member
 
Al Baker's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 108
Thank for the welcome Chris.
Wesley, it sounds like you we're very lucky. Driving in waves at any sort of speed requires constant throttle adjustment and split second timing. If you drive with the throttle fully down. I'm not going to attempt to explain how in here. If you want to fly me down there then I could get you up to speed in wave driving fairly swiftly. Before Darwin spots you driving it.
__________________

__________________
Al Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« Ribtec 585 | Top | Hello »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.