Old 12 August 2015, 20:30   #1

Town: Kirkland
Boat name: SD365
Make: Saturn
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15HP Yamaha
Hello from US West Coast

Hi Everyone.
I have 12ft inflatable (Saturn SD365) with a 15HP Yamaha, high-pressure air floor and inflatable keel. It's mainly used for recreational purposes with up to 3 kids and 3 adults (when friends join us).

This is my first RIB, that I keep inflated all year, except for keel which gets in a way on a flatbed trailer. With a motor it's light enough to launch with a dolly wheels. For the off-season, I built an electric hoist that lifts boat with trailer against garage ceiling.

After couple of years of owning it, I realized that I probably want to change a few things:
  1. Too bouncy on waves
  2. Bends on waves under full load (5 adults)
  3. Need steering console with throttle and electric start
  4. Add seats and some bow storage

I've ordered an aluminum floor to replace bendable air floor, but I think it'll only allow me to address the 2nd issue and maybe somewhat help with 1st, since the inflatable v-keel probably can't cut the waves. And it's probably not a solid foundation to add console, controls and seats.

Does it make sense to keep an order for aluminum floor, or should I cancel it and plan to buy a real RIB with fiberglass v-hull for next season instead?
My concerns with buying new real RIB besides the price are:
  • Would my 15HP short shaft Yamaha still be enough?
    It's probably the most expensive part on which I would loose money.
  • How heavier it'll become?
    Flatbed trailer won't work, may need a boat trailer. Though this is already heavily customized tilting trailer, that I can keep converting into a boat trailer. Would it still be possible to launch or load it on a trailer with dolly wheels? Lifting existing one on trailer is a two man job.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Old 13 August 2015, 15:06   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Hi, Tim (I assume), and welcome;

Your boat is a soft-bottom inflatable; referred to on here as a SIB (as opposed to a rigid hull inflatable, aka RIB.) No big deal there.

A traditional console takes up a fair amount of deck space, something that is at a premium on a small boat. There are other non-traditional systems, like the Zodiac helm-on-tube-frame job, but I rarely see those and can't really comment on them. Electric start is nice, but you then have a little more complexity and maintenance (and need to keep the battery somewhere.)

On my tiller steered 14'. 3 adults and 3 kids would have been about my max load for anything other than puttering around in flat calm water. Losing the kids (or one of the adults) would have been preferable to that. That said, I did once take out 7 divers and gear; it worked, but we weren't going far, we weren't going fast, and it was a one way trip; point being that the boat is probably far more capable than your comfort levels.

A small RIB will ride better than a small SIB, but it's not going to be a truck vs Cadillac kind of improvement. You'll still get tossed around and beaten up in rough water. Your best bet is to see if you can bum a ride in a boat similar to what you're looking for, and compare it to the ride of your current boat (tenders to larger boats will give you the comparison opportunity - maybe a bribe of a couple of beers would get you a ride?)

As far as specs go, it depends on the RIB build, so I won't speculate there. It will likely be considerably heavier than your SIB. It would likely take a bit more power than the 15 would provide. It will almost certainly require something other than a flatbed trailer (the Vee is rigid, so you need something to support that.)

jky
Old 13 August 2015, 17:30   #3

Thanks JKY, that brings some clarity.
The 3 adults + 3 kids scenario is something I'd like to cover, for cases when I invite some friends to join us, though I doubt reaching that load often.

It seems the basic hard floor upgrade would be a waste unless I intend to keep the SIB. A 12-14' RIB would appear more appropriate. I'd also have to upgrade my almost new 15HP Yama to whatever the new RIB would take (25+). This would add ~250lb to the overall weight and would force trailer launch only, but should still be OK for my garage hoist system. This should also make pulling someone behind the boat more feasible.

I rent a 20' Bayliner, which still bounced quite a bit at high speed, but certainly quite comfortable at cruising. Although traditional boats are more comfortable and used are even cheaper than a new good RIB, the storage and fuel efficiency is a big problem compared to RIBs it seems. I'd love to try some RIBs on a water, but majority of people I see on water around here are on yacht, traditional boat, PWC or basic inflatable with electric motor
Old 14 August 2015, 16:42   #4

Yeah, that's the problem in the US - RIB's are kind of a one-off.

RIB's are much more popular with the diving crowd than regular boaters. If you have any dive spots near you, it might be worth a trip or two to see what you can find.

jky
Old 14 August 2015, 17:59   #5

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
maybe a trip up to Vancouver. Lot's of RIB stuff happening up there. Call around and you can probably find a dealer or shop that has a bunch of different sizes.

Jason
Old 18 August 2015, 21:49   #6

Town: Long Beach
Make: saturn
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timch View Post
Hi Everyone.
I have 12ft inflatable (Saturn SD365) with a 15HP Yamaha, high-pressure air floor and inflatable keel. It's mainly used for recreational purposes with up to 3 kids and 3 adults (when friends join us).

This is my first RIB, that I keep inflated all year, except for keel which gets in a way on a flatbed trailer. With a motor it's light enough to launch with a dolly wheels. For the off-season, I built an electric hoist that lifts boat with trailer against garage ceiling.

After couple of years of owning it, I realized that I probably want to change a few things:
  1. Too bouncy on waves
  2. Bends on waves under full load (5 adults)
  3. Need steering console with throttle and electric start
  4. Add seats and some bow storage

I've ordered an aluminum floor to replace bendable air floor, but I think it'll only allow me to address the 2nd issue and maybe somewhat help with 1st, since the inflatable v-keel probably can't cut the waves. And it's probably not a solid foundation to add console, controls and seats.

Does it make sense to keep an order for aluminum floor, or should I cancel it and plan to buy a real RIB with fiberglass v-hull for next season instead?
My concerns with buying new real RIB besides the price are:
  • Would my 15HP short shaft Yamaha still be enough?
    It's probably the most expensive part on which I would loose money.
  • How heavier it'll become?
    Flatbed trailer won't work, may need a boat trailer. Though this is already heavily customized tilting trailer, that I can keep converting into a boat trailer. Would it still be possible to launch or load it on a trailer with dolly wheels? Lifting existing one on trailer is a two man job.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Hi, I wanted to know how long have you owned the Saturn? Have you had any issues with it? Any leaks? What is the quality like? Thanks.
Old 18 August 2015, 22:36   #7

I had it since 2012. No complaints, other than I probably outgrown it and need something more solid It has no leaks, punctures or discolorations. The material holds well, so are the valves. Pretty much everything is in "like new" condition and works as such. Maybe I haven't been hardcore enough with it and/or maybe the quality is good. The colors are pretty attractive too, so I keep getting compliments and questions.

It's normally stored inflated on trailer in my garage, the only things I deflate are keel and floor. I'm in Washington, so perhaps our sun is not harsh enough to deteriorate the tubes, or the hypalon material is holding well against the UV.

I have removable transom wheels and 15HP 4stroke motor on it. Not counting the engine and under 300lb load, you have to be suicidal to go full throttle, 300-700lb it plains well, at 900lb it's hard to plane and I feel like the inflatable floor is rolling over waves. Though I'm not sure if I had the thing properly inflated without having a pressure gauge, where proper inflation is really the key. The tubes are protected with pressure releasing valves, not sure if that applies to keel and floor. It's very stable, i haven't been able to capsize it even standing on a side and pulling another person from the water. Practical max occupancy is hard to tell, I've had up to 9 people there at once (4 adults+5 kids)+motor, and felt mostly limited in room rather than weight. Technically it's rated up to 1450lb.

Unfortunately, I'm probably going to sell it now, making room for a real RIB. The only thing this dingy is missing would probably be hard floor (aluminum floor sold at $300) and pressure gauge.
Old 18 August 2015, 22:44   #8

Town: Long Beach
Make: saturn
Length: 5m +
I hope mine holds up just as good. I just purchased the 17.5 ft saturn from boatstogo. I will be arriving tomorrow. I am excited to get it on the water. I will also be storing it in my garage. I hope the seams and valves hold up for many years. I will probably start saving up for a rib for the future.
Old 19 August 2015, 14:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom7337 View Post
I will probably start saving up for a rib for the future.
Don't make the mistake I did. I ran a SIB for about 5 years; did one dive and then, on a whim, did a second off a friends RIB on a fairly rough day. Started making plans to obtain a RIB that evening (ended up taking about a year, but it started from that one ride.)

jky
Old 19 August 2015, 16:15   #10

So, was the difference between SIB and RIB was that significant to convince you RIB is a way to go? Was the size of your SIB and friend's RIB the same? Did your SIB had a hard or inflatable floor, v-keel?
Old 20 August 2015, 15:06   #11

SIB was a 14' Achilles SG with a 40 Honda, tiller steer. Inflatable keel, aluminum floor.

The RIB my friend has is a 15.5' Zodiac. It was a little faster in calm smooth water, but way more comfortable in sloppy stuff. Cut through the chop and swell rather than bouncing over the top, so a lot less slamming and jolting.

At the time, I was also diving out of Pt Lobos (which has a pretty terrible ramp), and I wanted something a little more rugged in case the boat decided to bounce off the rocks surrounding the ramp. Interestingly, after buying the new boat (17.5' Aluminum hulled Polaris), I think I've launched out of Lobos once. The ramp layout ends up being a little tight, and its just as easy in most cases to just motor around from Monterey.

jky
Old 20 August 2015, 15:20   #12

Town: Silverton, Oregon
Make: Bombard Commando C4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 HP Mercury
Nice to see someone from the Pacific NW on the forum! Do you ever get out on the Hood Canal? It is the only place in WA I ever took my Zodiac, went there diving a few times years ago.
Old 20 August 2015, 15:57   #13

Hey Dan,
I went to Hood Canal a few times, when renting a house on a shore. I was a bit worried there at the beginning with the morning tides leaving my SIB on a sharp rocky shore. But it survived, and it forced me to buy transom wheels as it was very uncomfortable then carry the boat back to the water.
I mostly boat at Lake Washington and occasionally at Lake Chelan, though it's a 3.5hr drive for me. Once I get the RIB, I plan to take it through the locks.
One thing I like about my SIB with transom wheels is that I could launch it almost anywhere, bypassing any line at launch dock. But I'm getting tired pulling it ashore with the engine on and loading it on to a trailer. So I might just get something more solid for choppy waters, faster when loaded but at a cost of being in line to launch it.
Old 21 August 2015, 03:53   #14

One of the times I went up to the Hood Canal we stayed on a friend's sailboat and I remember the tide being pretty extreme. The water is amazingly clear (NW standards, not Caribbean standards) though, so it was worth it.

Most of my boating is on the local reservoirs, there are four within about an hour's drive, two of them over 3500 acres. I also like to crab the bays, but I haven't been doing much of that since having kids. Now that they are getting a little bigger I hope to get back into it more.
Old 21 August 2015, 06:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F View Post
The water is amazingly clear (NW standards, not Caribbean standards) though, so it was worth it.
How clear? Monterey averages maybe 15-20 feet, with anything over 50 firmly in the excellent to stellar range.

Quote:
I also like to crab the bays, but I haven't been doing much of that since having kids.
What are the basics of crabbing regs up your way (I'm assuming you're talking Dungeness)? Down here it's 10 a day, 5.75", females OK (though we usually return them.)

jky
Old 21 August 2015, 13:53   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
How clear? Monterey averages maybe 15-20 feet, with anything over 50 firmly in the excellent to stellar range.

The three times I have dove Hood Canal were all during winter, when visibility is relatively better. I would estimate that it was around 40', but one time was even better - I remember looking over the side of the boat and seeing the bottom pretty clearly in 40'. The ocean here is more like Monterey with 20' being pretty good.

What are the basics of crabbing regs up your way (I'm assuming you're talking Dungeness)? Down here it's 10 a day, 5.75", females OK (though we usually return them.)

jky
Here it is 12 crabs per person/day, 5.75", only males allowed. Red Rock can be taken any size/sex limit of 24/person/day, but the wife doesn't like them, so I don't keep any. I usually like to go to Newport, but sometimes it is Tillamook or Netarts.

I am actually looking into going next week if I can get the Mother-in-law to come watch the kids....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crab1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	108070   Click image for larger version

Name:	crab2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	108071   Click image for larger version

Name:	crab3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	108072   Click image for larger version

Name:	crab4.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	108073  
Old 24 August 2015, 20:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F View Post
Red Rock can be taken any size/sex limit of 24/person/day, but the wife doesn't like them, so I don't keep any.
Surprising. I find rock crab to be tastier than Dungeness, but it's a lot more work for the amount of meat.

Your season is open already? Ours is early November through about the end of June.

Luck if you go.

jky
Old 24 August 2015, 23:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Surprising. I find rock crab to be tastier than Dungeness, but it's a lot more work for the amount of meat.

Your season is open already? Ours is early November through about the end of June.

Luck if you go.

jky
Our Season is year-round. You can crab any time you want, day or night. I don't mind the Red Rock, but you don't want to argue with the wife about this sort of thing....

Thanks!