Old 20 August 2015, 11:06   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
SIB was a 14' Achilles SG with a 40 Honda, tiller steer. Inflatable keel, aluminum floor.

The RIB my friend has is a 15.5' Zodiac. It was a little faster in calm smooth water, but way more comfortable in sloppy stuff. Cut through the chop and swell rather than bouncing over the top, so a lot less slamming and jolting.

At the time, I was also diving out of Pt Lobos (which has a pretty terrible ramp), and I wanted something a little more rugged in case the boat decided to bounce off the rocks surrounding the ramp. Interestingly, after buying the new boat (17.5' Aluminum hulled Polaris), I think I've launched out of Lobos once. The ramp layout ends up being a little tight, and its just as easy in most cases to just motor around from Monterey.

jky

Old 20 August 2015, 11:20   #12

Town: Silverton, Oregon
Make: Bombard Commando C4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 HP Mercury
Nice to see someone from the Pacific NW on the forum! Do you ever get out on the Hood Canal? It is the only place in WA I ever took my Zodiac, went there diving a few times years ago.

Old 20 August 2015, 11:57   #13

Town: Kirkland
Boat name: SD365
Make: Saturn
Engine: 15HP Yamaha
Hey Dan,
I went to Hood Canal a few times, when renting a house on a shore. I was a bit worried there at the beginning with the morning tides leaving my SIB on a sharp rocky shore. But it survived, and it forced me to buy transom wheels as it was very uncomfortable then carry the boat back to the water.
I mostly boat at Lake Washington and occasionally at Lake Chelan, though it's a 3.5hr drive for me. Once I get the RIB, I plan to take it through the locks.
One thing I like about my SIB with transom wheels is that I could launch it almost anywhere, bypassing any line at launch dock. But I'm getting tired pulling it ashore with the engine on and loading it on to a trailer. So I might just get something more solid for choppy waters, faster when loaded but at a cost of being in line to launch it.
Old 20 August 2015, 23:53   #14

One of the times I went up to the Hood Canal we stayed on a friend's sailboat and I remember the tide being pretty extreme. The water is amazingly clear (NW standards, not Caribbean standards) though, so it was worth it.

Most of my boating is on the local reservoirs, there are four within about an hour's drive, two of them over 3500 acres. I also like to crab the bays, but I haven't been doing much of that since having kids. Now that they are getting a little bigger I hope to get back into it more.
Old 21 August 2015, 02:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F View Post
The water is amazingly clear (NW standards, not Caribbean standards) though, so it was worth it.
How clear? Monterey averages maybe 15-20 feet, with anything over 50 firmly in the excellent to stellar range.

Quote:
I also like to crab the bays, but I haven't been doing much of that since having kids.
What are the basics of crabbing regs up your way (I'm assuming you're talking Dungeness)? Down here it's 10 a day, 5.75", females OK (though we usually return them.)

jky
Old 21 August 2015, 09:53   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
How clear? Monterey averages maybe 15-20 feet, with anything over 50 firmly in the excellent to stellar range.

The three times I have dove Hood Canal were all during winter, when visibility is relatively better. I would estimate that it was around 40', but one time was even better - I remember looking over the side of the boat and seeing the bottom pretty clearly in 40'. The ocean here is more like Monterey with 20' being pretty good.

What are the basics of crabbing regs up your way (I'm assuming you're talking Dungeness)? Down here it's 10 a day, 5.75", females OK (though we usually return them.)

jky
Here it is 12 crabs per person/day, 5.75", only males allowed. Red Rock can be taken any size/sex limit of 24/person/day, but the wife doesn't like them, so I don't keep any. I usually like to go to Newport, but sometimes it is Tillamook or Netarts.

I am actually looking into going next week if I can get the Mother-in-law to come watch the kids....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crab1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	108070   Click image for larger version

Name:	crab2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	108071   Click image for larger version

Name:	crab3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	108072   Click image for larger version

Name:	crab4.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	108073  
Old 24 August 2015, 16:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F View Post
Red Rock can be taken any size/sex limit of 24/person/day, but the wife doesn't like them, so I don't keep any.
Surprising. I find rock crab to be tastier than Dungeness, but it's a lot more work for the amount of meat.

Your season is open already? Ours is early November through about the end of June.

Luck if you go.

jky
Old 24 August 2015, 19:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Surprising. I find rock crab to be tastier than Dungeness, but it's a lot more work for the amount of meat.

Your season is open already? Ours is early November through about the end of June.

Luck if you go.

jky
Our Season is year-round. You can crab any time you want, day or night. I don't mind the Red Rock, but you don't want to argue with the wife about this sort of thing....

Thanks!