Old 14 June 2015, 15:56   #1

Town: South Coast
Boat name: Scooby Doo
Make: Arctic Blue 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: QSD 4.2 350 Diesel
Hello from the Solent

I've been a long time lurker and thought it about time I joined up after all the free advice I've gleaned over the years.

I've been ribbing for about 30years, during which time there have been 3 ribs, each one a bit bigger and a bit faster than the last and all running on the pink stuff.

We're running a 2009 Arctic Blue 27 with a Cummins Mercruiser diesel QSD 4.2 350 with 240hrs. Out back is a new bravo 1 drive with a bravo 1 28P prop.

She has a double stepped hull, bow trim water tank, VesselView engine monitoring, a toilet for the ladies and of all things a bow thruster!

She runs 50knts max at 70ltrs/hr and 42knts cruise at 55lts/hr although we're still dialing her in as we've not had her long.

Cheers, Ben
Old 14 June 2015, 18:29   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
Welcome. Nice boat, hope you enjoy the forum.
Old 14 June 2015, 20:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf10 View Post
Welcome. Nice boat, hope you enjoy the forum.
Thank's cgf10 we have a few niggles to sort out but she's a great rib.

Hope to embark on some missions this summer, Alderney, Weymouth and if nothing has blown up by then we may shoot for Salcombe.
Old 14 June 2015, 21:46   #4

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Sounds very nice, I like the Arctic Blue RIB's - we need some pics!

I stopped in at Salcombe on my way to and from Penzance in the Ribtec last year - I find it a very easy place to overnight (although accommodation ashore within walking distance is limited), and it's convenient if heading further West. In your boat, Salcombe's practically next door to you!
Old 15 June 2015, 01:03   #5

It has taken some getting used to how quickly we can get to places. Looking forward to taking the little one to the beaches off pool.
The old rib made 32knts, admittedly it would do that in a force 8 but 50knts is a whole other world. The novelty still hasn't worn off and we go everywhere WOT!
Rib has 2 x 300ltr tanks but we haven't worked out how to fill the second tank yet.
Its been a real voyage of discovery, no manual, no previous owner to ask, however we do all of our own spannering (unless it gets really technical or we run out of time) and are enjoying the journey.
On the whole the Arctic Blue is over engineered and very well thought out the designer definitely had OCD.
Old 16 June 2015, 23:02   #6

Town: County Antrim
Length: 6m +
Well done scooby doo with the arctic blue. Thinking of buying a slightly earlier model than yours and would be very keen to hear how you are getting on with the new toy. I had spoken to the brokers in Largs about scooby doo but needed to sell my old boat first. She has now gone to a new home and I am hopefully about to join the Arctic blue crew.hows the boat going - what do you think about the mercruiser engine and leg set up- some pals would be a lot happier if the boat I am looking at had a Yamaha and I have only had Mercury optimal outboards before which never gave me a minutes bother so hoping that the diesel will be a similar experience.
Would be keen to hear what you had to say about any glitches you have had to sort.
Cheers
Old 17 June 2015, 02:06   #7

Hi Rufus, So far so good! Diesel is defiantly cheaper than petrol to run. You have to be religious about leg and engine oil changes and warming her up before 'putting the hammer down'.
Previously I’ve had a mermaid and Volvo Penta, as a family we are fairly mechanically savvy which helps. Make sure you have a local ish shop who can supply parts and work on the engine. I have heard nothing but good things about the Cummins Mercruiser engines, its the 3rd generation and all the bugs and weak points have been worked out. The engine has a tone of sensors to let you know if anything is amiss. Basically with regular maintenance and a bravo leg they are a solid power package.

From what I’ve seen I’d definitely recommend an Arctic Blue, we are really happy with ours. They are well made and well thought out, loads of locker space! Huge engine room, I can kneel down beside the engine on both sides. Everything is labeled. The handling seems planted for a double stepped hull but I haven’t had a chance to really push it yet. Oh and its super dry even in some pretty big seas.
The bow tank is a real asset going upwind in bad weather.
They have 3 lifting points so you can launch with a single point crane.
The bolster seats are great and racing throttles work well.
Oh and I think it looks pretty good (but I’m biased)

Downsides:
The teak decks are lifting in a few places looks like they used too small screw heads and weren’t bonded down too well. We’ll get this professionally fixed soon.
The 27 is really wide, so towing with the tubes inflated is a no on and even with them down its dodgy. I towed it from Glasgow to the South Coast and its wide!!
They are a little over engineered so are heavy, ours is 2.7T empty. But this also means they are SOLID.
When driving standing the curved top of the windshield is in your line of site.
The engine is not as well known in the UK as some other makes (Yanmar/Volvo) so less places stock parts so you may have to wait a few days, although service items seem readily available. I’m lucky enough to have a local workshop who know CMD’s well.

Any info you require just ask, I don’t have access to any good pics at the moment, I’ll try to post some bad ones I have.
Old 17 June 2015, 02:56   #8

Sorry for the crap picture this is all I have access to at the moment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scooby Doo.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	106145

Can't justify getting a 5K trailer wet when a lift is less than 1% of that.
Old 17 June 2015, 06:11   #9

Morning scooby doo
Thanks for the info it gives me a lot of reassurance.
The boat is 2006 ( I suspect by the look it is a mark 1 hull)and the engine 320hp.
It's difficult getting reliable info because there doesn't appear to be a dealer anymore in the UK. It's always best to hear from an owner anyway.
The guy who owns the boat is as honest as the day is long and has listed every bit of work he has had done. Replaced turbo this year because he felt he had lost a little power and now the boat is going really well- 36 knots at 3000 revs.
Have a really good pal who is a marine surveyor so he will give it the once over in the next week or so and then hopefully it's job done.
Will keep you posted on how things go.
Thanks again for all your advice - it really is appreciated.
Old 17 June 2015, 09:02   #10

Sorry scooby doo should have mentioned that you can view the boat by typing in Arctic blue Narnia. The site hasn't been updated to cover the work that has been done over the last couple of years but here's a breakdown.
Full service of engine incl re conditioning of leg.
Bennett trim tabs added.
Ais added.
Full covers and trailer
New turbo fitted.
The owner completed a round Ireland trip last year with his missus and had a ball. No glitches with boat or engine.
Would be interested to know if the engine is after the bug and glitch update that you refer too.
Any athoughts?
Old 17 June 2015, 15:26   #11

She looks great and very well cared for, if the price is right and nothing stands out as a show stopper I’d go for it!

If its a QSD 4.2 SE then you are good, mine is a 2009 engine so I'm sure yours is fine. Anyway I don't think the previous engines were bad, just not as good.
Sounds as though the owner has spared no expense which is reassuring, the recon leg is a bonus, plus the turbo. Do you know how many hours the engine has?
Much better to buy a boat that has been regularly used. Scooby Doo had been sitting for a while and we have had a few niggles to sort out, nothing major and all expected but still a pain to deal with when you just want to be ribbing!

As with any large complicated rib, there will from time to time be something to sort out. So long as you understand this I’m sure you will love owning an Arctic Blue.

I also struggled to find info on the Arctic Blue ribs, but the more I learned the more I wanted one. One of the reasons I signed up was to post information to shed some light on these great boats for any future owners.