Picked up a Avon inflatable Dinghy yesterday, ex RNLI with 2 stroke 8hp Yamaha engine. This is my first ever boat of any kind and I brought it so I could get more involved with the children, who love swimming in the Margate Sea. Sadly I can't swim, and will be relying on buoyancy aid and making sure I never venture out too far. Interestingly enough, the chap I brought it from couldn't swim either!
I took it out yesterday as soon as I got it back from West Sussex. Was quite the effort and needed the Mrs and eldest 2 children to safely carry it to the beach. The floor is 2 part hinged 1" thick and looks to be teak wood. It took a while to get it to sit flat, but we got there after some pulling and tugging. I didn't bring out the outboard as have yet to do 100:1 mix and just wanted to get a feel for the boat using oars.
It was a fab afternoon in the sun and we stayed within a walled swimming pool with other kayaks and swimmers.
I noticed the twin elephant bailers let water in whilst in the closed tied up position. After a couple of hours, I brought the boat in opened the bailers and and lifted the front up to displace the excess water. This did the job and a closer inspection showed silicon used to create a seal was coming away in places. I'll get it sorted in the week as just want to get another days use in the water whilst the weather is sunny and the sea calm
It would be great to hear from others who have a similar boat, (so I know who to target for help advice!)