Old 06 December 2014, 22:09   #21

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
That must have been what mine looked like when I put a hook like that in the back of my head when I was 7yo A little novicane and the doctor pushed it through and snipped off the barb. I remember that sound still....

Jason
Old 07 December 2014, 06:28   #22

Town: Santa Cruz, CA
Boat name: Ginger
Make: Zodiac Mark II
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 40hp
Not a lot of "action" but here's one of my fav's from this summer. Bullard's Bar Reservoir, early July. This was the same day I rushed out of the campsite to fish at dawn, no wallet, fumes of gas, and no oars. Eventually got a tow and bartered a castmaster for $5 in gas. Yes, I learn my lessons the hard way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140525_194237.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	101456  
Old 07 December 2014, 06:34   #23

Town: Santa Cruz, CA
Boat name: Ginger
Make: Zodiac Mark II
Engine: Mercury 40hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
That must have been what mine looked like when I put a hook like that in the back of my head when I was 7yo A little novicane and the doctor pushed it through and snipped off the barb. I remember that sound still....

Jason
Here's a better look at my "catch"...tried as hard as I could but couldn't get that dam barb out in the water. Pulling 400' of crab line out with that sucker in my right hand was no joke!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	101457   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	101458  
Old 07 December 2014, 15:57   #24

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I remember helping an old guy (must have been in his 70's) tie up his boat in Monterey, as he seemed to be using one hand. He showed me his problem: about a 2" hook through the meat of his hand. He said it had happened as he started fishing that morning; when he came back in it was about 4 in the afternoon. SOB had fished all day with that thing in there.Having nothing to cut the barb off with, I referred him to the Urgent Care Clinic up the street. We recovered his boat and off he went. I don't remember if he caught anything or not.

jky
Old 07 December 2014, 18:15   #25

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjah View Post
Here's a better look at my "catch"...tried as hard as I could but couldn't get that dam barb out in the water. Pulling 400' of crab line out with that sucker in my right hand was no joke!
Yeah that hooking was worthy of an ER visit. The guy I saw in the ER had the tip sticking out so it would have been easy to cut the barb part off and remove it.

How the heck did they get that out of you? Did they cut a bigger hole? Or just numb it and pull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
I don't remember if he caught anything or not.

jky
Oh he caught a big one for sure! 2" hook is fairly big. Poor guy, glad to hear you helped him

Ninjah, if you ever are headed out on the SF Bay let me know. We, meaning my partner Adeline and I, might join up with you. I don't know too many people with similar boats to mine. Typically we launch from Horseshoe Cove on the North Side of the Golden Gate Bridge. It is always calm, with easy access to the ocean and bay. Which is why it houses one of the Coast Guard stations.

If you want the next time we are headed to Angel Island or out I can send you a PM?
Old 08 December 2014, 02:51   #26

Town: Benicia
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Engine: I/B petrol 175hp
RIBase
I've been to the ER with an ocean fly fishing hook in my bicep, not a fun visit.
Old 08 December 2014, 06:45   #27

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
I have a scar on my shoulder about 1 1/2" from my days as a charter angling boat deckhand (I think I was about 17). A careless customer dragged a rather large hook through my clothes and my skin...

The wife and I will be in Carmel for our annual Christmas trip and possibly some house hunting as we love the area. Maybe we should have a NorCal Christmas drinks night?

SDG
Old 08 December 2014, 13:36   #28

Town: Benicia
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Engine: I/B petrol 175hp
RIBase
We may splash the boat for Christmas, but will remain up here in the Bay. But I'm willing (and anxious) to bring the boat down to The Monterey Bay and to Carmel this summer.