Old 04 May 2012, 22:14   #1

Town: Cheshire
Make: Sea-Swift
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2Stroke
Hello from Knutsford..

Evening all,
most of my youth spent messing about in boats around Cardigan in Wales, unfortunately none of them had engines! Plenty of sailing up and down the coast in mirrors/toppers/solo and up to 26ft cruisers... now I'm older(and supposedly wiser haha) had a play in a friends SIB last yr and decided wanted one for hols this year...so doing things wrong as usual bought an engine on ebay couple of months ago, Selva 15hp 2 stroke of indeterminate age and history... see I did say supposedly wiser!! Followed that up with a 2010 Sea Swift 360 with alloy floor... read the SeaSwift website and a few positive comments on here so bid away on the dreaded ebay... wasn't expecting to find a 'made in china' plaque on the transom, still it seems reasonably well put together but has obviously had a hard life too!! Some people(me!) never learn! Still I got the lot for under a grand so thats a positive.... SIB also came with launching wheels but the previous owner has put the brackets in the wrong place so if put on the 'right' way round then they foul on the transom and dont lock in place so that will be a remove, relocate and fill all the holes in.. not a good start! Ah well the engine will be better..... lets do the positives it starts!,seems to run ok and engages forward and reverseand then it all goes wrong...killswitch incorrectly wired, fuel pipes not secured with hose clips, fuel pipe running through sharp edges without grommets, what I would call 'airbox' on inlet side of carburettor missing...you getting the picture its not looking so good! But it is very light and prev owner insistent had been very reliable for him so you never know... I may get some fun this year, have caravan holiday booked near the coast in an area I know well in August so have a couple of months to sort things out!
A question to finish...Had engine running just for 3 mins or so tonight to make sure all was working(I knew that big wheelie bin would be useful 1 day!) Now although appeared to be running fine, no telltale water output, prev owner said it had thermostat and pumped much more when warm() now before I go seeking impellers and thermostats, would it be normal to pump no water until thermostat opens...that seems logical to me but my last boat had sails!! or would you normally get some flow, more when hot? Motor was not anywhere near warmed up when I killed it tonight..
Looks like a great site, looking forward to reading much more and having some fun...even if its only a little cheapie SIB!!
Cheers
Chris
Old 04 May 2012, 23:05   #2

Town: wirral
Boat name: midlife Too
Make: COBRA
Length: 6m +
Engine: 15O E-TEC
MMSI: one day !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoph
Evening all,
most of my youth spent messing about in boats around Cardigan in Wales, unfortunately none of them had engines! Plenty of sailing up and down the coast in mirrors/toppers/solo and up to 26ft cruisers... now I'm older(and supposedly wiser haha) had a play in a friends SIB last yr and decided wanted one for hols this year...so doing things wrong as usual bought an engine on ebay couple of months ago, Selva 15hp 2 stroke of indeterminate age and history... see I did say supposedly wiser!! Followed that up with a 2010 Sea Swift 360 with alloy floor... read the SeaSwift website and a few positive comments on here so bid away on the dreaded ebay... wasn't expecting to find a 'made in china' plaque on the transom, still it seems reasonably well put together but has obviously had a hard life too!! Some people(me!) never learn! Still I got the lot for under a grand so thats a positive.... SIB also came with launching wheels but the previous owner has put the brackets in the wrong place so if put on the 'right' way round then they foul on the transom and dont lock in place so that will be a remove, relocate and fill all the holes in.. not a good start! Ah well the engine will be better..... lets do the positives it starts!,seems to run ok and engages forward and reverseand then it all goes wrong...killswitch incorrectly wired, fuel pipes not secured with hose clips, fuel pipe running through sharp edges without grommets, what I would call 'airbox' on inlet side of carburettor missing...you getting the picture its not looking so good! But it is very light and prev owner insistent had been very reliable for him so you never know... I may get some fun this year, have caravan holiday booked near the coast in an area I know well in August so have a couple of months to sort things out!
A question to finish...Had engine running just for 3 mins or so tonight to make sure all was working(I knew that big wheelie bin would be useful 1 day!) Now although appeared to be running fine, no telltale water output, prev owner said it had thermostat and pumped much more when warm() now before I go seeking impellers and thermostats, would it be normal to pump no water until thermostat opens...that seems logical to me but my last boat had sails!! or would you normally get some flow, more when hot? Motor was not anywhere near warmed up when I killed it tonight..
Looks like a great site, looking forward to reading much more and having some fun...even if its only a little cheapie SIB!!
Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris, welcome,

There is nothing wrong with a sib, a lot of us started with sibs and I have fond memories dragging mine to Scotland and Cornwall every year.
I'm shore you will soon forget any found faults when you'v had it in the water for ten minutes,

Have fun, Jeff.
Old 04 May 2012, 23:43   #3

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
haha been here.... my engines have all pumped from start up

take the cover off and look for the pipe that goes to the tell tale, remove that and see if she`s `pissing`... if plenty of water poke a piece of wire down the hole. and plug back in

oh dear i`ve no water coming out this pipe most likely your water pump, in which case i`d reccomend a marine mechanic to change your impellor .. or if your brave youtube it ....i did it

can`t comment on stat but could be a long story

failing that take said engine and insert it into the rear of the bloke who sold it you.. i spent a fortune on one of mine..after he promised me `it`s the best engine on the planet guv!` he did refund me half the money after i promised him i`d make his dentist a very rich man

i very nearly put my launch wheels in the wrong place..easy done
my sibs a cheap as chips shanghai special , but hey i`ve a family to feed

good luck with the engine ...rich
Old 05 May 2012, 08:10   #4

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Welcome to the forum Chris, have fun.
Old 05 May 2012, 15:55   #5

Town: Knutsford
Boat name: Whoops!
Make: Zodiac Medline
Length: 4m +
Engine: 75 Etec
Hi Chris !

Knutsford also - your query is far too technical for me I am afraid ! Joined Ribnet the other week and the responses have been invaluable - I am very impressed. We are off to Dartmouth next weekend - nice 5 hour drive - just tweaking one or two bits on my rib - only my second season - plenty to learn but this is the right place.

All the best

Jonathan
Old 05 May 2012, 18:33   #6

Town: warrington
Make: Honwave T32
Engine: Mercury 15 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyrib
Hi Chris !

Knutsford also - your query is far too technical for me I am afraid ! Joined Ribnet the other week and the responses have been invaluable - I am very impressed. We are off to Dartmouth next weekend - nice 5 hour drive - just tweaking one or two bits on my rib - only my second season - plenty to learn but this is the right place.

All the best

Jonathan
Chris/Johnathon im about 15-20 mins away from you (stockton heath)
Should see if we can get a few people interested in a local-ish outing, river dee or maybe a bit further to windermere perhaps
Old 05 May 2012, 20:01   #7

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Hi Chris,

Cardigan resident (well, Cilgerran boy) myself..... If 1973 refers to DOB you may be a contemporary of Mark Williams's? (MarkyMark on here....His father was Moorings master and CG in Gwbert)....

Enjoy the forum and the SIB..... A few shots in /around Cardigan in our gallery on here

Dan

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2012, 20:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbill RIBs View Post
Hi Chris,

Cardigan resident (well, Cilgerran boy) myself..... If 1973 refers to DOB you may be a contemporary of Mark Williams's? (MarkyMark on here....His father was Moorings master and CG in Gwbert)....

Enjoy the forum and the SIB..... A few shots in /around Cardigan in our gallery on here

Dan
Hi Dan... think you're mixing up thestig1973 with my Cardigan quote!! However...my parents had a caravan at Gwbert for 20 yrs and I was member at Teifi Boat Club for many years, Gareth Williams was mooring master I seem to recall so guess that will be MarkyMarks dad! I'm just a little older than the Stig but you're still in the right era Managed to get back to Gwbert last year for first time in ages (including showing my kids Cilgerran castle where I was dragged round about 35yrs ago..) and going back this year for a couple of weeks hopefully with the SIB... have couple of friends also at Gwbert with Ribs so we should have some fun!!
Unfortunately I know I will want a RIB at some point... just have to work out how to tow it behind the car when already towing a caravan...
Chris
Old 05 May 2012, 20:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestig1973 View Post
Chris/Johnathon im about 15-20 mins away from you (stockton heath)
Should see if we can get a few people interested in a local-ish outing, river dee or maybe a bit further to windermere perhaps
Mr Stig..did notice on a late night reading session last night that you were local, was reading about your recent Dee expedition and thinking sounds like fun, I need to give the boat a run before I dump it on the Irish sea full of kids! However tomorrow the motors coming apart while I seek out a new impeller, needs to be reliable so definitely needs to be pumping some water through!
Hold that thought for a few weeks for me!
Chris
Old 05 May 2012, 20:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyrib View Post
Hi Chris !

All the best

Jonathan
Hi Jonathan, good to find somebody so close.. will have to get together some time!
Chris
Old 05 May 2012, 21:36   #11

Quote:

Mr Stig..did notice on a late night reading session last night that you were local, was reading about your recent Dee expedition and thinking sounds like fun, I need to give the boat a run before I dump it on the Irish sea full of kids! However tomorrow the motors coming apart while I seek out a new impeller, needs to be reliable so definitely needs to be pumping some water through!
Hold that thought for a few weeks for me!
Chris
Hi Chris, im taking my sib to the river Dee again tomorrow, yeah you definately want to make sure its all spot on before venturing into the sea, I haven't been in the sea yet but its high on my agenda, wanted to do the recent anglesey trip but couldn't make it.
Give me shout if you fancy a trip out sometime
Carl
Old 06 May 2012, 20:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestig1973 View Post
Hi Chris, im taking my sib to the river Dee again tomorrow, yeah you definately want to make sure its all spot on before venturing into the sea, I haven't been in the sea yet but its high on my agenda, wanted to do the recent anglesey trip but couldn't make it.
Give me shout if you fancy a trip out sometime
Carl
Hope you had a good day Carl.. weather certainly been kind to you today!
I could do with a Dee-Day to make sure all sorted so will certainly give you a shout when have sorted my current 'teething' issues..
Chris
Old 06 May 2012, 20:42   #13

Quote:

Hope you had a good day Carl.. weather certainly been kind to you today!
I could do with a Dee-Day to make sure all sorted so will certainly give you a shout when have sorted my current 'teething' issues..
Chris
Had an excellent day Chris
3 adults and 5 kids went so i felt like I was giving fair ground rides but all had a great day

The warden was there today so you needed to show proof of insurance cover, and pay £20 for a day license, warden was a nice guy and helpful and chatty, hope you got your impeller sorted and I'll look forward to a trip out
Old 07 May 2012, 01:39   #14

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoph View Post
Hi Dan... think you're mixing up thestig1973 with my Cardigan quote!!

Yes

However...my parents had a caravan at Gwbert for 20 yrs and I was member at Teifi Boat Club for many years, Gareth Williams was mooring master I seem to recall so guess that will be MarkyMarks dad!

I'm just a little older than the Stig but you're still in the right era Managed to get back to Gwbert last year for first time in ages (including showing my kids Cilgerran castle where I was dragged round about 35yrs ago..) and going back this year for a couple of weeks hopefully with the SIB... have couple of friends also at Gwbert with Ribs so we should have some fun

(Mothergoose SR5.4 and a little grey jobbie???)

Unfortunately I know I will want a RIB at some point... just have to work out how to tow it behind the car when already towing a caravan...
Chris
Sell the Caravan and buy a Motorhome...... Downhilldai does just that

Enjoy the SIB....you'll get more time afloat with it than your mates with their RIBs out of Cardigan

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote