Old 31 October 2018, 09:52   #1

Town: South Cumbria
Boat name: None yet
Make: None yet
Length: 5m +
Hello from Cumbria!

Hi all,

I'm from Northern Ireland but have lived in Cumbria for 5 years now.

I love being out in the lakes in a canoe, sailing or powerboat, but really want to get out to sea.

I fancy a powerboat that is trailerable and capable of safe trips on the Irish sea. I haven't seen much that might meet those criteria that isn't a RIB. I have family on the Isle of Man and can see it from here, so at least I would like to have something capable of that trip in reasonable conditions, once I've built up experience nearer the coast. Perhaps in time good blasts to Belfast Lough may become doable...

I haven't set a budget for a boat as yet, but I would prefer something sturdy rather than sporty, and quite enjoy a project.

Are there many RIBbers in or near South Cumbria?
Old 31 October 2018, 12:30   #2

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
I think ribbers are a rare breed in Cumbria, only ever seen one other out at sea in about 4 years. There are loads of gin palaces and small fast fishers but nothing else. Most don't look like they have been out in a while. The Solway is generally choppy so a decent rib makes sense.

I'm up near Whitehaven (great place to launch, massive slip, no currents to worry about, good facilities etc.) and keen to find a boating buddy as I'm normally out on my own. The backup of company for longer adventures would be great.

Where abouts are you based?

Phil M
Old 31 October 2018, 13:14   #3

Town: South Cumbria
Boat name: None yet
Make: None yet
Hi Phil,

I'm in Broughton in Furness. Whitehaven is probably the nearest good place for launching, Roa island is probably similar in terms of distance but not as sheltered.

I'd like to build some experience if you'd be willing to take me out and show me the ropes a bit?

As you say it's all Merry Fishers and Beneteau in Whitehaven. Nice marina though!
Old 31 October 2018, 20:35   #4

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
Happy to teach you all I know. Should fill 5 mins or so as I'm not that experienced myself, nut happy to go out. I have the daunting maiden voyage of the new boat soon and I'm paranoid about what I've got wrong in the fit out and it conking out miles from the harbour.

There are a couple of places to launch in Barrow, which avoids heading north on the coast road (bad enough without a trailer!). I used one once at a sailing club down that way when we did our PBL2 but can't remember which one it was.

Phil
Old 01 November 2018, 06:42   #5

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
There's a couple nice ribs here at Coniston this week, a black Raven rib with twin Mercury 400 Racing Outboards