Old 26 May 2017, 11:29   #1

Town: liskeard
Make: Mercury 420 ocean ru
Length: no boat
Hello from Cornwall

Hi all,iam in the process of picking a sib. For lazy trips with the wife and daughter up the local rivers fowey tamar or maybe the fal and for fishing myself around the coast and the mentioned rivers. If conditions allow a bit of fun around the coast. Visiting bays etc with wife and daughter.I started with a couple of boats 25 year ok then life got in the way. The last 6 years I have had kayaks then canoe then back to a fitted out kayak for fishing then open canoe again . I have a couple of sit ons at moment for trips up the creek and rivers but instead of buying yet another kayak for fishing I want to get a sib. 90 percent sold on the t38 honwave at the moment with maybe a 9.9 / 15 hp looking at reviews etc I think it would suit my needs,unless anyone thinks different or is my engine choice under powered, any advise appreciated . Cheers .
Old 28 May 2017, 07:36   #2

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Welcome to the forum

Decent enough choice, if you can find a 15hp I'd say better to have a bit more power in case you had a tide to work against.

The 3.8 will take up to a 25hp engine, you might find with a 9.9hp and 1-2 adults + 1-2 kids you will take a while to get on plane or not at all, if plane not required then it will push boat along fine. The Honwave comes up with some good reviews, well built and holds value, other Chinese built types also have similar reviews.

Lots of info and opinions on here for sib choice, lots of love for the Bombard Aerotec - more pronounced V keel - but the HW is a lot of boat for the buck. A 3.8 was one of the sibs to go to last year's Scottish Sib outing and seemed to cope well with conditions

Get some photos up once you get going or ask for advice if you need

Cheers, Michael
Old 28 May 2017, 08:50   #3

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
My yam 3.83 ran a 25 and with 4 adults on board really needed it to get going anywhere.

Your plan will work but I think it's always better to go slightly larger as you'll soon be wanting more anyhow.............

Welcome

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 09:10   #4

Town: liskeard
Make: Mercury 420 ocean ru
Length: no boat
Going to see a t38 honawave tomorrow,local with a 20hp Honda,wheels ,bravo stage 2 electric pump seat storage bags. Apparently hardly used so should have a boat for next weekend.
Old 28 May 2017, 11:21   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Welcome from me too. I'd say 15hp minimum. We used a 15hp for many years with a variety of SIBs from 3m-3.8m... max load two adults and two small early teens (two early teens now replaced by one small 19yr old girl)... and performance varied from acceptable to good depending on SIB. Only recently upgraded to 20hp which has not made much difference to top speed but better mid range grunt which is where it's most use in day to day sea conditions.

A Honwave 3.8m with 20hp Honda is a popular and well proven outfit.
Old 29 May 2017, 06:08   #6

Town: HERACLION
Make: MY ONE
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2*350
very good choice