Old 12 October 2013, 11:37   #21

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Welcome to rib net where everyone has an opinion based on something!

I wouldnt knock stinghers. They are very solid boats and extremely capable in seas I would not take other boats out in! They also have a good spec and finish!

We are considering an 800gt and it knock the spots of many other boats we have had in the past!

Try and get yourself out on as many boats as you can be for deciding and try not to limit your options based on other peoples suggestions.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Old 12 October 2013, 11:38   #22

Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
Hi Andre,

Now Parker - I have seen these cropping up a few times, and did see them at Southampton. Was quite surprised as Poland is not exactly renown as a seafaring nation!! I run a factory in Poland and so know the country well. I also know that there are misconceptions on quality from Poland - I do not share them.

Its not a make that I have done a great deal of research on, despite seeing them, and have not seen (or recall seeing) many on the second hand market. I think they look interesting boats at first glance, but I think the price tag is a little more than I have budgeted for for my first boat.

Thanks for highlighting tough Andre

Steve
Old 12 October 2013, 11:45   #23

Hi Zippy,

I really liked the 686GT I saw, but the seller wasn't quick on coming back to me and then I heard some other "opinions" so decided to continue the search - And how right you are in your first statement about opinions.

The thing is, when you know nothing - which sums me up with ribs - you have to start with opinions to get the ball rolling.

Now, one of my other passions is Landrovers - it wouldn't take me long to buy one of those as I have plenty of knowledge - but boats....... whole new ball game for me!!

Steve
Old 12 October 2013, 12:53   #24

Town: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Bird View Post
Hi Andre,

Now Parker - I have seen these cropping up a few times, and did see them at Southampton. Was quite surprised as Poland is not exactly renown as a seafaring nation!! I run a factory in Poland and so know the country well. I also know that there are misconceptions on quality from Poland - I do not share them.

Its not a make that I have done a great deal of research on, despite seeing them, and have not seen (or recall seeing) many on the second hand market. I think they look interesting boats at first glance, but I think the price tag is a little more than I have budgeted for for my first boat.

Thanks for highlighting tough Andre

Steve
Hi Steve, no worries. there is a vast choice of ribs in the UK so sooner rather than later you will find the right one.

as for Poland not being a seafaring nation then your factory must be in the deep south and not near the coast. Most powerboats up to 9 mtrs are now made in Poland and the quality is very good like the Galeon, Merry Fishers, Quicksilver of course the Parker Pilothouse and Weekend boats not forgetting the Windy boats which since May 2013 are made in our factory in Poland. Not many people know that.
Old 12 October 2013, 13:12   #25

Hi Andre,

Your right. My factory is in Tychy (Home of the Fiat500) near Krakow....!

Steve
Old 12 October 2013, 13:31   #26

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Now, one of my other passions is Landrovers - it wouldn't take me long to buy one of those as I have plenty of knowledge - but boats....... whole new ball game for me!!

Steve
ah Steve, I could tell you were a man of great taste, a passion for Landrovers, that comment should create even more feedback than which rib to go for, excellent

don't rush into anything, there's loads to look at and the more you see will help you to narrow down what features you want, and don't want of course

n don't forget, the bigger the rib the bigger the fuel bill, the bigger the engine the bigger the servicing costs, n you don't need the biggest rib to get the biggest grin
Old 12 October 2013, 17:17   #27

Town: Lingfield
Boat name: Hot fish
Make: Humber Sport Pro
Engine: Suzuki DF300
Steve,
You're welcome to look at our Humber, 'Hot Fish' , at the Marina in Chichester on berth AA08 - it's an 8m Humber sport pro. We are also moving to the Aquadock in April at the slipway end of the Marina , once Grahame has installed the 'extension'. There are no spaces at the moment ( as of last week).
Our boat is to be lifted next week for a wash and brush up / re-anti foul. She should be back in the water the week afterwards for half-term at the end if October.
We belong to the Yacht club and could show you around if you would like?
Richard W

Sent from my iPad using Rib.net
Old 12 October 2013, 17:30   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
ah Steve, I could tell you were a man of great taste, a passion for Landrovers, that comment should create even more feedback than which rib to go for, excellent

don't rush into anything, there's loads to look at and the more you see will help you to narrow down what features you want, and don't want of course

n don't forget, the bigger the rib the bigger the fuel bill, the bigger the engine the bigger the servicing costs, n you don't need the biggest rib to get the biggest grin
- And the bigger the marina bill!!

Steve
Old 12 October 2013, 17:39   #29

Hi Rumbustious,

Thanks for your kind offer Ill perhaps take a look and maybe catch up with you if you are around at the marina. I will be down there first week of November as I have my radio course.

I'll also take a gander at your boat - i have to admit it's was the humber sport pro that I do covert, but there are none on the second hand market. I think they are relatively new (last three years - I think) and I am not anticipating going quite as large as 8m!! Also, I think if there where Sports or Leisure pro's about, they would likely be higher than my preferred (well the boss's preferred ) budget!!

Steve
Old 12 October 2013, 17:48   #30

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Hi Steve and welcome to Ribnet.

Before you talked about your factory in Poland I had you down as a British Airways pilot!

I think you and I may be in a similar place. Following a few months research on Ribnet, reading many hundreds of posts, I was intending to assemble an Osprey as my first Rib but eventually decided I was probably being a bit 'hasty' having never really been up close and personal with any of the main suspects (broadly as per your list). I decided instead to buy an SR 5.4 in order to give myself some fun on the water whilst giving myself more time to get out and try each of the main contenders first hand, on the water, before throwing many thousands at one.

....but I must admit to being seriously tempted by a couple of the boats presently for sale in the Ribnet classified section.

Best of luck with your search!
Old 12 October 2013, 17:57   #31

Steve,
Sounds good. We are planning to come down for Sat 2nd Nov as there is a Halloween party at the Chichester yacht club - we could take you out on that day if you'd like?
I have the prev week off to look after my 13 yr old as it's half term so maybe able to do a day then , otherwise work at Horley in Surrey most days as a GP.
We started with a 7m Cobra and bought the Humber a year ago. Bigger is better!
If you are interested , perhaps send a Pm & I'll text you my email / contact details. Both my wife Kate and I have down the advanced course with Peter White , also based at Chichester Marina, so you should be safe! If you wanted to come out for a day we could run over to Cowes for lunch, or to the forts and back if you're pushed for time. It's about an hr from the lock at the Marina to 'west pole' and the sea and you need to get the boat upto speed to experience ribbing properly - the harbour has a blanket 8 knot sped limit . If lousy weather , we sometimes just run to Sparkes Marina at the entrance to the harbour on Haling Island, where Piranha ribs are based. There's a cafe/ restaurant there which allows free berthing if you go for a coffee - very civilised- and a chance to dry out.
Let me know your thoughts .
I'll mail you some pictures of the boat if you're curious?
Richard

Old 12 October 2013, 18:20   #32

Hi Rumbustious,

I would have loved to take you up on your offer. Having done the PB2 course, it would have been really great to get out on the water.

However, whilst I will be at the marina on the 2nd, I will be holed up in a room learning the phonetic alphabet and the wonders of a 2m ariel over a 1m ariel on my radio course (and BTW, Cliff, if your reading this that is not a reflection on your excellent teaching, just having to do a course just to get a certificate )

So I ill have to reluctantly decline, but if I can, Ill see if I can find you if you are around to at least say hi, and introduce you to my boss (the home one that is....!) Sharon.

Would however love to see some piccies - although, it will probably just make me even more jealous - if you can send some trough.

Again thanks for the extremely kind offer.

Steve
Old 12 October 2013, 18:25   #33

Hi Barrowboy

I always have problems picking these names - by the time I sign onto anything (gmail, rib net, Icloud you name it) I am so far behind the curve that all the names i would use have already been taken!! However, I do like "speed bird" ever since I learnt it was BA's call sign. My better half said that everyone would think I am an BA airline pilot - sadly not that glamorous. I run manufacturing companies - functional but not sexy!!

It is nice to see someone else in the same area as I am - the dilemma of choice!!

Steve
Old 12 October 2013, 18:26   #34

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1569875141.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	86305

Name:	image-4042977951.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	86306

Name:	image-1789117974.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	86307

Name:	image-2761129204.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	86308

Name:	image-3458759315.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	86309

Old 12 October 2013, 18:28   #35

Steve,
No worries , no rush.
We could be down tomorrow ( Sunday) for lunch , but otherwise let me know when you're free. Good luck with the course!
Just learn the mayday and pan pan , and you'll be fine.
Richard

Old 12 October 2013, 18:37   #36

Hi Rumbustious,

What a cracking good looking boat that is - as i thought, it has made me very jealous - but i think for the time being Ill have to stick to the original strategy!!!

I should be ok on the radio course. I did one about 10 years ago, as I used to do a lot of cruiser sailing around the solent (I am also a costal skipper) but because of the new GMDSS, I have to redo it - bit of a pain. Thing is, the course is going to get more difficult next year, so I have to stitch it in before December - otherwise I would have seriously considered cancelling to come out with you!!!

Steve
Old 12 October 2013, 19:22   #37

Town: West Sussex
Quote:
Hi Andre,

Your right. My factory is in Tychy (Home of the Fiat500) near Krakow....!

Steve
Tyskie springs to mind
Old 12 October 2013, 19:30   #38

Yep - thats where the brewery is - I shudder to think how many pints of Tyskie I have drunk over the years! Good pint though!!

Steve