Old 28 October 2015, 20:47   #61

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Another thought....ferry marine is another possible source perhaps? Not sure if anything to do with FYM/bosun's locker but they have the ability to assemble them too.

FYM used to advertise themselves as boat builders.......some ribs for sale do mention NC as designer and FYM as the builder...coincidence perhaps.

Sorry for the hijack, curious what and where this 6.4 has came from now.

Old 29 October 2015, 03:29   #62

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
I have also seen in last 6-8 months them advertising a spare northcraft only hull as a package for someone to build, it came with a set of tubes that could be made to fit, console and some seats for someone to install. I am not saying this is the normal but they do get hulls from time to time at the very minimum. I'll see if I can find a link to it, was all black if memory serves, was a cracking price.

Looking at this 6.4 "ribcraft" there is a very good chance what I have said above has happened again, perhaps before bosun's locker took over or merged W.H.Y with FYM.[/QUOTE]

Maybe a bit longer than 6-8 months ago, I saw the same advertised for sale, can't remember the exact dealer but it was South Queensferry area ........

Old 29 October 2015, 04:26   #63
Trade member

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jepho View Post
Hi Steve,
Thanks very much for the heads up.

It is a really nice looking craft and it looks to be a good deal which is within my budget. I am committed to several other matters this next weekend when I have several arrangements which I cannot break. I can get to you the following weekend if that is any use?
Hi Jepho,

Just give me a call when you want to come and have a look 023 9283 3166. Just ask for me or my business partner Tim.

Regards

Steve
Old 29 October 2015, 07:56   #64

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Quote:
Thank you Jeff. Lots of good information and ideas here. I have had a drive of a Humber with twin 60s. It was a 5.85 I think. Not madly fast but very stable in rough seas and highly manoeuvrable. An impressive craft when pressed hard.

I saw a really beautifully kept RIB which was adorned with four (what I had taken to be) shock mitigation seats, in Portsmouth very recently. They looked so very expensive and I did not dare to ask the price. All had an adjustable suspension unit under the seat which appeared to be sitting atop an adjustable double cantilever type arrangement. Here are some pix.
jepho
i went for coastal pro seats and had bases made to keep my storage and to suit my leg length cost was about 3000.00 3 years ago. are they worth it yes if you can justifie the outlay as with the boat 40,000 for a couple of holidays a year lot of money sat around so i down sized.but if you look at the boat Steve for instance is selling 10,000 lot of boat for a modest outlay.
pics of the boat on the humber & coastal pro seats.
have a look at ease dale rib rendezvous 2015 loads of boats good bit of video that will get your juices flowing.
hope you get sorted.

cheers jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dog and 9.5m ribquest 018.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	109456   Click image for larger version

Name:	pics of all aspects of the boat 041.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	109457  
Old 29 October 2015, 12:03   #65

Jepho,

Before you commit to the leeway it is only fair you buy in the knowledge of what they are.

If you search leeway on the forum you will find a lot of info.

I don't have any axe to grind myself as I've never seen one, but given you are new you should know the history and make your own mind up as resale may be affected.
Old 29 October 2015, 17:27   #66
Trade member

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
Jepho,

Before you commit to the leeway it is only fair you buy in the knowledge of what they are.

If you search leeway on the forum you will find a lot of info.

I don't have any axe to grind myself as I've never seen one, but given you are new you should know the history and make your own mind up as resale may be affected.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................... Unfortunately, I don't have a Scorpion for under 10K
Old 29 October 2015, 17:46   #67

It might be "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" to you but to new comers they likely don't know anything about them.

If the OP is happy with them then fair enough, at least they bought it knowing the history.
Old 29 October 2015, 18:40   #68
RIBnet supporter

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Boat name: no boat yet
Make: no boat yet
Length: no boat
Engine: no boat yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Hi Jepho,

Just give me a call when you want to come and have a look 023 9283 3166. Just ask for me or my business partner Tim.

Regards

Steve
Hi Steve,
Thank you very much.
I would like to come and view the RIB. I will be in touch very soon.

jepho
Old 29 October 2015, 19:07   #69
RIBnet supporter

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Boat name: no boat yet
Make: no boat yet
Length: no boat
Engine: no boat yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
jepho
i went for coastal pro seats and had bases made to keep my storage and to suit my leg length cost was about 3000.00 3 years ago. are they worth it yes if you can justifie the outlay as with the boat 40,000 for a couple of holidays a year lot of money sat around so i down sized.but if you look at the boat Steve for instance is selling 10,000 lot of boat for a modest outlay.
pics of the boat on the humber & coastal pro seats.
have a look at ease dale rib rendezvous 2015 loads of boats good bit of video that will get your juices flowing.
hope you get sorted.

cheers jeff
Lovely pix Jeff. I can see that such seats are a useful addition. If my plans to spend a lot of time on the water are realised (involving a lot of free weekends) I might go for a comfort option like the shock mitigation seats. Interesting technology. It made me consider whether seats suspended in a gimbal type arrangement would work as well.

Ah, the general term 'lot of boat'... Being brand new to RIBs and boating in general, I have no real clue about what I need. I have seen boats which appeal to me for many reasons... not all of them rational. The value of the very generous advice which I have already received in my introductory post to RIBnet is that it has helped me to consider matters which I had not thought about.

I think the Leeway boat on offer has a lot going for it. More unknown to me are issues around the construction methods and advantages to any special features included, sea keeping qualities and the build quality. It would be foolish to take on anything with such a poor understanding of the boat I will be viewing/buying. I certainly did not need dubris's sense of fair play to induce me to follow my own due diligence.

I had started my researches as soon as the sale was mentioned by Jeff. I really appreciated his effort in drawing my attention to a RIB for sale. It was on all fours with the broadly stated boat specifications that I have hinted at wanting to buy. I have not yet read enough about Leeway boats but I see no reason to reject the idea just yet. As always... caveat emptor. Having purchased many pieces of rubbish during my lifetime, I am now more cautious. I still may buy rubbish but at least I would have considered a few other options before wasting my cash.
Old 29 October 2015, 19:38   #70
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Lovely pix Jeff. I can see that such seats are a useful addition. If my plans to spend a lot of time on the water are realised (involving a lot of free weekends) I might go for a comfort option like the shock mitigation seats. Interesting technology.
They are the latest 'trend' in RIBbing but as you are new to this I'd suggest you keep your cheque book in your pocket until its bounced out - people have been ribbing for over 30 years, including some major trips in quite significant conditions without them. Really there are two "shock" issues on RIBs. The first is the major shock you get if you come off a big wave with a a hard landing - these can hurt and have hospitalised people. The second is the fatigue that comes with regular, repeated, long-term smaller shock which generally don't hurt but wear you out (both mentally and physically).

When the seats smooth out the ride they make it easier for the helm to drive the boat harder. That is potentially dangerous for an inexperienced helm as eventually a big wave does come along and bite you - and if you are closer to the limit when that happens injury is more likely. I think there is more of a justification for shock mitigation in protecting against the second type of shock/vibration. However those issues are far worse for those who experience them day in day out, for long shifts and who go out in all weathers. The reality is, normal leisure use doesn't expose you to the same "dose". As a new user, investing in further training (after gaining some experience) is likely to be a better way to avoid shock. If you've got thousands extra to spend on shock seats you might do better by spending it on the best hull you can afford. In all likelihood though very few leisure users go out when the weather is that bad anyway.

Tags
rib