Old 31 January 2017, 14:55   #1

Town: Perth
Make: Funyak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 twatsu
Hello!

Hi everyone! I've just joined this forum, although been learning a lot from reviewing posts as a visitor. Just about to place my order for a Funyak 390 with tiller steer 20 twatzu. I'm an angler not a boater, so space is more important than cruising comfort. Plan is to use it for fishing sheltered sea lochs (Etive and Sunart etc), summer calm close in for Dunbar or Arborath and occasional pike trips to Loch Awe / wherever. Previously ran a couple of larger (16/18ft) fibreglass cuddy boats, but like the concept of 'launch anywhere, stow it in the garage' that this size and style offers. Also like the promise of 'virtually indestructable' - although I hope not to be testing that claim too closely. Hope to see some of you around when the rig arrives - I like to meet like minded people. In the meantime - if anyone has any really really serious doubts or reservations about this boat or engine - or anything else to do with my plans - I'd be happy to hear from you!
Old 31 January 2017, 17:18   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hi mate welcome

Poly will be along soon he has a similar boat I believe looked at these boats myself I think your right for what you need it for easy to customise and fits the bill good luck happy fishing

Cheers
Old 01 February 2017, 18:27   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Hi mate welcome

Poly will be along soon he has a similar boat I believe looked at these boats myself I think your right for what you need it for easy to customise and fits the bill good luck happy fishing

Cheers
Sorry I missed this thread. I need to have a word with someone, my workload is seriously interfering with my ribnetting at the moment!

Yes. I have a funyak 390 running a 20hp 2 stroke yamaha. Served us well for about ten years. I have remotes and a console. Tiller possibly better if standing fishing is your thing.

I'd happily put a Tohatsu on it.

One up, without the console the 20hp should be ample. I've clocked 22knots with just me on board, but in 2015 I converted a bench seat to a double jockey with backs etc and the family have grown bigger so with 2 adults a teenager and a younger one I get about 18 knots. That's just enough, but I have swithered with going to 25 or 30 as they keep growing, but rational brain says not needed. The properly irrational side says 6m and 150 horses would be even better!

It is pretty much indestructible, beware leaving it tied up alongside barnacles or rusty metal though without fenders as it will duff up the surface. Mine has hit the odd jetty etc when teaching the kids to no harm.

I've had mine out in a F6 with 2m+ waves and it coped admirably, although don't expect to be dry in those conditions. Power trim would help if you have lots of people, and or lots of kit on board, but if you are alone you can move fuel, anchors, etc to find a good compromise.

If you are looking to skimp I have a spare locker/bench seat here (white) that is a bit scruffy/grubby after sitting outside for several years. It could be yours for a lot less than a new one, but I do realise shiny new is much nicer on s shiny new boat. I am in Central Belt. I also have a set of aluminium oars and rowlocks that I have discovered are useless with the console in place. I'd like to replace with paddles so again could come to an arrangement.

Oh, the only thing that concerned me with your plan was the idea of launching anywhere... IMHO unless you have a 4x4 you will want a slipway, these boats are not as light as sibs and you'd really struggle to manhandle one on anything but a good surface. Just in case you are planning to launch on beaches etc.
Old 01 February 2017, 20:04   #4

Thanks Guys - much appreciated. I think I've read most of your posts Poly - one of the reasons for making my decision on the funyak!!

I drive a Yeti - it coped well with a heavy 16 footer and 60 mariner on slipways, but did get bogged down on sand and shingle when launching in Luce Bay (Am i the only person ever to be rescued by the Coastguard 200 yards from the water???) Then again, so did a Pajero... I am hopeful that with the funyak's lighter weight, it should be much easier - hence my comment about 'launch anywhere' - I may have been exaggerating....

My only real concern at the moment is a fishing anchor. I will be carrying a proper stopper with suitable danforth style anchor and maybe 50m of decent rope... But occasionally I like to stop the boat in deep water (200 foot or thereabouts. I'm guessing the funyak is too small to take a 220 metre coil of 10mm polysteel, so I'm dithering over a coil of paracord, with a small grapnel or similar on the end... Only for use on calm days, in gentle tidal conditions - and retrieved by alderney ring 'cos handballing anything from that depth is a serious pain in the back and shoulders (from experience)... Does anyone on forum do this kind of thing? I haven't seen any mention in several searches...

Very keen now to get the rig and start playing about. Order placed - and will come with two benches and oars - so (unfortunately) I will have to decline your very kind offer of what would have been very welcome extras... Thanks, but no thanks as they say.

How often do forum members meet in Scotland? Would be nice to meet a few and pick brains for the benefit of your hard earned experience in small, open, wet, bouncy boats!!!

Thanks again for the welcome.
Old 01 February 2017, 20:54   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Just about any "normal" vehicle will get stuck on soft sand/mud/shingle. 4wd is no guarantee.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2017, 21:20   #6

Understood Dave... Should explain the venue is a well known launch site for small boats. On the day I got stuck, there was a big meet on - with over thirty boats launched... The intertidal sand foreshore is hard packed, and generally takes vehicles and trailers without problem... My difficulty came when driving off the hard packed stuff - onto soft dry dunes. The event organiser (who launches there perhaps three times a week on average, with a much heavier outfit) had warned that speed was needed to get over the first rise - perhaps 25mph... I guess I was doing 24, and the trailer simply started ploughing in... followed by the rear end of the Yeti. The coastguard were watching the event for PR purposes - and the two guys had a good laugh at my expense as they gave me a rescue tow - about 200 yards from the water! All in good friendly nature, and no real harm done (although I did learn what fried clutch smells like!).

Two years later, another launch site a little further up the coast - a Landy sank axle deep when the 'hard sand' turned quicksand underneath him. The rescue tractor went even deeper, and both were total write offs by the next low tide... We stopped using that launch point... Sorry if I seem to be making light of this - I think I understand the risks, but there are times when a beach launch is OK... When there are others around to offer mutual help and support - and some local knowledge to keep out of the soft stuff...
Old 01 February 2017, 21:57   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Bill View Post
Understood Dave... Should explain the venue is a well known launch site for small boats. On the day I got stuck, there was a big meet on - with over thirty boats launched... The intertidal sand foreshore is hard packed, and generally takes vehicles and trailers without problem... My difficulty came when driving off the hard packed stuff - onto soft dry dunes. The event organiser (who launches there perhaps three times a week on average, with a much heavier outfit) had warned that speed was needed to get over the first rise - perhaps 25mph... I guess I was doing 24, and the trailer simply started ploughing in... followed by the rear end of the Yeti. The coastguard were watching the event for PR purposes - and the two guys had a good laugh at my expense as they gave me a rescue tow - about 200 yards from the water! All in good friendly nature, and no real harm done (although I did learn what fried clutch smells like!).

Two years later, another launch site a little further up the coast - a Landy sank axle deep when the 'hard sand' turned quicksand underneath him. The rescue tractor went even deeper, and both were total write offs by the next low tide... We stopped using that launch point... Sorry if I seem to be making light of this - I think I understand the risks, but there are times when a beach launch is OK... When there are others around to offer mutual help and support - and some local knowledge to keep out of the soft stuff...

No worries, making light is what we tend to do on here (is that the posh way of saying "taking the p1ss[emoji16])
I've seen enough 4wd & tractors stuck on beaches over the years to know that beach launching ain't for me.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2017, 22:23   #8
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
I'm guessing the funyak is too small to take a 220 metre coil of 10mm polysteel, so I'm dithering over a coil of paracord, with a small grapnel or similar on the end...
you probably could carry the 10mm poly, although even for my main anchor I don't use 10mm. I think you need to think about how you store whatever line you use neatly. I don't fancy pulling in 100+m paracord under load, even with gloves. An alderney ring will lift the anchor but you still need to pull in and coil it - perhaps a drum? I'd worry the alderney ring will wear very thin cord - but I have no experience.
Old 02 February 2017, 07:45   #9

RIBase
years ago we used 6mm poly rope because it was cheep for wreak diving with home made grapnel anchors so if we lost it expence wasnt a biggy but pulling it up isnt nice but it held our boats ok.
usually lads start a thread for a meet or start one yourself someone might want to tag along.
Old 23 February 2017, 10:29   #10

Thanks guys. The disposable grapnel is an idea I was already thinking of - and as luck would have it I have found two that I made when running my previous boat - so a result! The polysteel is pretty hard stuff, and I don't think it will wear significantly on an alderney ring - although I will have to learn from doing it.

I am now committed - I went and collected the rig yesterday and she is now sitting in my garage awaiting some fitting out! Yayyy!

First thoughts are generally positive, although I do have concerns about fitting anything to a hull that will only take self tappers to 6mm insertion... that's not going to hold very much shock or strain, even cushioned by sikaflex... So my jack staff (an old fishing rod) which I will need for the vhf aerial and nav lights) may need to be fitted to a 'tackle chest' which will be a more or less permanent feature behind the bow locker. That will also make a reasonably secure mounting point for a set of plastic "rocket launcher" rod holders to keep spare gear off the deck/seats when fishing.

I bought a tiller extension handle so I can get my weight further forward and help keep the nose down.

Now looking to spend more of the hard earned on the 'accessories' I need - so far my list includes Raymarine dragonfly 7 (eyesight isn't great, so small screens might be hard for me!) ('cos I like the sonar imagery), a Standard Horizon vhf (probably 1700 model, but may go smaller), A switchboard to connect and isolate these and with a usb socket to charge an action cam. An action cam... probably not a gopro, but looking carefully for a chinese copy that will arrive in one piece and maybe has a chance of working in wet weather for a few weeks at least... Plus inshore flare pack, anchor, rope and chain, 3 lifejackets, dog lifejacket (golden retriever), alderney ring and large buoy to work it.. And a couple of rolls of slip resistant matting to line the benches....

And then I need to work out how best to fit a few rod rests that will hold my heavy gear safely... and possibly make a bow dodger to keep the front just a little drier.

Its all going to be great fun for me, but probably not for many others so I won't be posting step by step updates on her - but I may stick up a couple of 'before and after' images. As a taster (and for me to trial the upload function on here) - this pic is one of me with one of my best fish... Its going to be interesting getting her sister alongside (NOT 'into') my new boat.

Oh - and she who must be obeyed has now named it. 'SFB'... as in steve's fishing boat' or (as originally planned) "Shit For Brains",,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steve and skate.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	118115  
Old 23 February 2017, 11:31   #11

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Good luck with that monster in a Funyak
Wish you many happy hours with your new rib.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 11:58   #12

Town: Montrose
Boat name: Ruby Blue
Make: Honwave & SW4800cc
Engine: Mariner 15 & 60efi
RIBase
Hi Stevie, I'm from Montrose area and also own a poly boat - a Smartwave 4800 centre console. I do 90% of my launching from the beach at Ferryden Montrose piece of cake. feel free to contact for a meet up and wetting a line. Avoid the slip in Arbroath at all costs, it's so shallow you'd have to drown your Yeti (SSPCA would have you for that) to get off and on the trailer. I tried it and had to go to Dundee to retrieve! here are some links to my vids including a retrieve at Ferryden.
https://youtu.be/JDpUTEkg_dI

https://youtu.be/inlW-tjn2R0

https://youtu.be/wPMlNfp-Sb4

Tight lines, Mike
Old 23 February 2017, 18:19   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:

First thoughts are generally positive, although I do have concerns about fitting anything to a hull that will only take self tappers to 6mm insertion... that's not going to hold very much shock or strain, even cushioned by sikaflex...
remember you can bolt to the bench lockers, screw to the transom and bolt through the holes on the transom if not using them, and devise things to fit the rowlock holes all without worrying about screwing too far. If you get really brave you can weld things onto the plastic (but that does take some cahones on your new boat). Now Ive not tried them but you get special rubber backed nuts for fitting things to kayak decks and I've been trying to pluck up the courage to use them on a vertical surface. Should be fine bit again you have to drill your new pride and joy.

Quote:
Its all going to be great fun for me, but probably not for many others so I won't be posting step by step updates on her - but I may stick up a couple of 'before and after' images. ,
The more the better...
Old 23 February 2017, 18:44   #14

RIBase
RE screwing what poly is referring to are well nuts kayaks use them as said I used them on my Ali floor they work really well and will hold most of what you require, they are used a lot on motorbikes you will find that the nut is brass but if you silicon grease the SS bolt it stops it corroding.
If you do want to weld some vids on you tube to help
Old 05 March 2017, 20:46   #15

Thanks for that Jeff. Never come across the well nuts before - they look to be an excellent solution for many of my issues!! If I get it wrong I may have to invest in a plastic welding set, but heigh ho nothing ventured nothing gained!
Collected the radio, plotter, ropes chain etc etc. Just the lifejackets, anchor and Alderney ring to come.... Then some serious time in the garage getting it all secure.
POLY: In the days before your console - where did you mount your battery - and did you have a switchboard?? I guess I am planning more electrics than most tiny boaters need... I'm thinking a few tupperware boxes sikaflexed to the starboard side bench - maybe stabilised with a couple of well nuts.. And grommetted for the cabling. But baby steps - first job will be the aerial and transducer.
Old 05 March 2017, 20:56   #16

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I have one of these but mines a wurth on but just the same you can get stainless inserts as well as alloy ones there a stronger way than well nuts
Masterfix MFX612 - Nutsert / Rivnut Rivet Nut Tool Kit With Ratchet M6 - M12 | eBay
Old 05 March 2017, 21:02   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
POLY: In the days before your console - where did you mount your battery - and did you have a switchboard?? I guess I am planning more electrics than most tiny boaters need... I'm thinking a few tupperware boxes sikaflexed to the starboard side bench - maybe stabilised with a couple of well nuts.. And grommetted for the cabling. But baby steps - first job will be the aerial and transducer.
I've always had a console, just switched from bench seat to jockey style. The console though is/was like an overgrown locket/bench seat itself. So the battery just lived inside there (I originally used a car battery jump start pack, with the croc clips removed). It now lives in the jockey seat as it is a shorter cable run and is the smallest battery Halfords had in stock that day (its for a Japanese car - as European ones are too broad to fit through the hatch on my seat).

In your shoes I'd probably put it inside the rear bench seat. Not sure if sika will stick well enough to be useful. I have some plastic boxes which have survived ok but they aren't 100% water tight. I tried something similar with tupperware types* at one point, but found that once drilled for a cable they became very weak. Its also quite tricky getting boxes that fit even smaller m/cycle batteries. Perhaps a peli, or pelicase copy if you want to leave it on deck? Strap to back of bench (or if you can right size and battery?) underneath it - I can't remember how big that gap is... I'd be a lot happier drilling into the bench than the hull.

*they were supermarket copies not the real deal.
Old 05 March 2017, 21:03   #18
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
I have one of these but mines a wurth on but just the same you can get stainless inserts as well as alloy ones there a stronger way than well nuts
Masterfix MFX612 - Nutsert / Rivnut Rivet Nut Tool Kit With Ratchet M6 - M12 | eBay
But not watertight?
Old 06 March 2017, 07:05   #19

RIBase
you can buy water resistant boxes from B&Q for use outside not expensive would look better look on the electrical shelf or go to an electrical shop
Old 20 March 2017, 11:19   #20

Anyone got a recommendation for a marine-competent electrician in central belt? I have mounted the transducer and aerial, got the radio and plotter secured with suction cups Suction Cups - Screw and Nut - Suction cups with screw stud and brass nut. 47mm (temporary solution until I know exactly where I want them... saves drilling unnecessary holes!) Now needing help to make the connections and secure the switching in a reasonable way.... Then some fuel and settled weather and I'm off!