Old 06 June 2014, 10:10   #1

Town: Banbury
Boat name: Bob
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha, 2 Stroke 8hp
Hello

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a Bombard Tropik, 3 Metre RIB (SIB)? with a yamaha 8hp outboard, its 22 years old, with no patches, engine was sold as a non runner, but looks like new. Gave it some fresh fuel, changed gearbox oil, new spark plugs and started first time .
Its holding air fine (has been inflated for 3 days in the garden). Just been out and noticed the glue has failed on the bow section where the floor meets the tube, leaving a 4 inch gap for water to come in . I have just ordered some 2 part adhesive and solvent cleaner from Polymarine. As this is my first rib and I have never had to carry out a repair - is this pretty straightforward?

Thanks!
Old 06 June 2014, 11:35   #2

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Hi and welcome along!

The experts will be along shorty!

https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2014, 12:12   #3

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I'm guessing its the one that was on Ebay last week ?

Its a good news/bad news kind of thing. You have stummbled across one of the best sib engines there is, and the 8 year break will have done it no harm at all.

The Bombard is also a good boat, its got welded seams so no issues with them but you have come up against the Zodiac group boats acillies heal, the glue.

Once one part of the glue starts to fail, the rest will follow quickly. Its not a hard job to repair, but it takes time and can be messy. Look up one of the repair guides on Youtube and follow the instructions. Prep the area well and use masking tape to avoid overspill. I would strip all the floor back and start again, and then do the transom, because that will be the next thing to fail.
Old 06 June 2014, 13:31   #4

Town: Banbury
Boat name: Bob
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha, 2 Stroke 8hp
Yep, its the one off ebay - can't believe how good the engine is for the age, looks hardly used, starts first time, and after a quick test on our local lake the engine is more than adequate for the size of the sib. In 2 weeks we are off on my stag do, the plan is to take it on the sea, however given the state of the glue and it being my first repair I'm losing confidence. Ive ordered all the irgh stuff, but can only find one video on youtube which shows someone gluing the floor back to the tube. Although the process seems to be; cleaned off old glue with solvent, mix glue, mask off, paint one coat, let dry, repeat, paint final coat and roller flat - seems simple, although do i paint glue on both parts i.e. floor and tube?

Thanks for your help!
Old 19 June 2014, 15:59   #5

Town: southbourne uk
Boat name: pacific safety
Make: pacicfic 22
Length: 10m +
Engine: inboard 140hp deisel
Take note of the pirate he talks sense. If any part in doubt re-glue. Going slow is the fastest way so don't cut corners. Make sure your prep is top rate to achieve a good lasting job. I think there is a canal boat repair yard near you go ask them and pick their brains.

Hope this helps Bob