Old 04 May 2014, 21:12   #1
E63

Town: California
Boat name: SPD 330E
Make: Achilles
Length: 3m +
Greetings from California...

I have decided to get back into the sport after a 10+ year Hiatus.

I grew up with inflatables we had a a few Zodiac's while growing up, many of my fondest memories as a kid are from those weekends on the lake.

When researching what boat to pick up I started looking at Zodiacs but it seems their reliability and quality is not so stellar any more (on their smaller boats at least)... So after doing some research and talking to several local dealers I placed an order on an:

2014 Achilles SPD 330E

It is a Hypalon Boat and was somewhat pricier but it sounds like if taken care of it should easily be the last boat I have to buy...

Anyways, the dealer didn't have one in stock, so it should be arriving later this week. Very excited to pick it up.

Still have not decided on an engine yet though... will probably make a new thread for that in the appropriate section...

Look forward to sharing pictures when my setup arrives and learning from other members!

-Christian
Old 04 May 2014, 22:41   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Hi Christian - welcome to the forum :o)
Old 05 May 2014, 06:29   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Welcome to the board

Where do you plan on using the boat? A 15HP motor should do the trick. There are of course lighter options.
Old 05 May 2014, 22:20   #4
E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Welcome to the board

Where do you plan on using the boat? A 15HP motor should do the trick. There are of course lighter options.
Thanks for the welcome!

Plan on mixed use both freshwater lake and saltwater estuary/ bay.

Unfortunately 2 strokes are no longer available for sale in my area and are banned from many lakes... Since I am stuck with a 4 stroke will likely go for a 20HP since the 15/20hp motors share the same platform...
Old 07 May 2014, 16:10   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by E63 View Post
Unfortunately 2 strokes are no longer available for sale in my area and are banned from many lakes...
Do a bit of research - As far as I'm aware, 2-strokes are banned from 2 lakes in California, and that is void if the motor carries the CARB 3 star rating. Tahoe, and one other (Almanor, maybe?)

The Achilles should suit you well assuming you don't get the 2-footitis (wanting a boat 2 feet longer than what you own.) Quality and design tends to be very good. I enjoyed my SG-14 until I wanted to carry more stuff in rougher water.

Luck;

jky
Old 07 May 2014, 23:07   #6
E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Do a bit of research - As far as I'm aware, 2-strokes are banned from 2 lakes in California, and that is void if the motor carries the CARB 3 star rating. Tahoe, and one other (Almanor, maybe?)

The Achilles should suit you well assuming you don't get the 2-footitis (wanting a boat 2 feet longer than what you own.) Quality and design tends to be very good. I enjoyed my SG-14 until I wanted to carry more stuff in rougher water.

Luck;

jky
Thanks for the information!

Yeah I was mostly thinking about use up in Tahoe (planning on a trip up there this summer) I have found a couple of nice Yamaha 2 strokes on craigslist... so might pick one up for saltwater use... noticed you are in Oakland, Im close by in Alameda!

The boat arrived and I put it together in my living room last night... think the size is just right! My big concern is having something light enough for me to handle setting up and launching on my own from the trunk of my car... so the 114+lb 4 stroke 20HP motors worry me a bit in that regard...

Anyways, stay safe!
-Christian
Old 08 May 2014, 15:41   #7

I've launched off of the Grand St ramp several times (usually 4th of July and New Years) to go out on the bay to watch fireworks. The Estuary is great place to work out the kinks in a new rig. Nice and calm, and a lot of other boats around in case of trouble (plus the CG is pretty close in case somebody really pisses you off.)

jky
Old 09 May 2014, 08:59   #8
E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
I've launched off of the Grand St ramp several times (usually 4th of July and New Years) to go out on the bay to watch fireworks. The Estuary is great place to work out the kinks in a new rig. Nice and calm, and a lot of other boats around in case of trouble (plus the CG is pretty close in case somebody really pisses you off.)

jky
I know that ramp well... used to have a sailboat at Fortman marina...

If you are ever going out in the estuary some time let me know would be fun to cruise around once I get my rig setup... looks like I'll be picking up a nice second hand 2 stroke Yamaha 15hp this weekend for a good price... that will hold me over for now... went to a local dealer and tried handling the 20hp Yamaha 4 stroke... too heavy in my opinion!
Old 09 May 2014, 15:15   #9

I found out last weekend that I need to pull the hubs from my trailer - brakes are frozen (or otherwise not working.) Parts on order, but not scheduled to arrive 'til Monday (which puts that off until the next weekend, as I'm a working stiff.)

Also had my Bravo pump die; replacement has already arrived, so need to get that installed in the boat (easy: 2 wires to solder and seal.)

But, yeah, could probably do the estuary sometime soon. I have some friends with a 40'-ish sailboat docked in front of Svendsens. They usually have beer (if they're on board.) :-)

jky