Old 30 January 2018, 20:56   #1

Town: Clontarf
Length: 4m +
G'Day from Oz... and some advice please..

Hello and Hi....

I'm Glenn from Sydney Australia; I write this post in the cockpit of my sailing yacht on a very warm summer morning.

Some wisdom required from RIB enthusiasts please��
I need a RIB capable of handling rough conditions and also light enough to be used as a tender.
We live on a 57 foot yacht that's moored on Sydney Harbour, about 7nm from Sydney Harbour Bridge. My wife is looking to commute to her work via boat. The conditions on the Harbour are generally very good, however a big blow can come in and sometimes we'll see winds of +40 knots. Part of the commute will involve passing between Sydney Heads and this can at times be very messy, so we'll need a RIB that's capable of handling ocean swell and chop.
I have been looking at 3.6 to 4.2m boats with 20 to 50hp engines.

Thank you and cheers,
Glenn
Old 30 January 2018, 23:11   #2

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
It may be a bit to big but I'm about to put my zodiac 550 pro tour on the market. I'm 4.5 hrs to your south ( Narooma ).

I use the rib in some pretty unfavourable conditions, from crossing rough bars to heading 80km offshore, it would handle the harbour without to many problems and is extremely fun and economical to run with a 300km range from the 100 lt fuel tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_JDP1880.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	123299   Click image for larger version

Name:	_JDP1850.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	123300  
Old 31 January 2018, 09:08   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
It may be a bit to big but I'm about to put my zodiac 550 pro tour on the market. I'm 4.5 hrs to your south ( Narooma ).

I use the rib in some pretty unfavourable conditions, from crossing rough bars to heading 80km offshore, it would handle the harbour without to many problems and is extremely fun and economical to run with a 300km range from the 100 lt fuel tank.

Are you getting another RIB Jon or something else?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2018, 03:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Are you getting another RIB Jon or something else?
Not quite sure yet, I was keen on a 650pro but I'm also looking into a boat manufacturer called stabicraft that builds aluminium boats with sealed floatations pontoons. My daughter is about to start her coxswain course, so a boat in full survey to charge paying customers may be a better option ( hence the stabi ).

We do heaps of volunteer work within the marine science title that if we had a commercialy surveyed boat we could charge to use. My daughter has also been doing research filming for fisheries which has spread in interest to other states now wanting her to do more. Then there's the fishing, spearfishing and photography side of things a commercial boat could be used for.

Don't get me wrong a rib could do the same work and even handle the ocean better but survey equipment, shallow reefs and often big toothy reptiles and fish are probably better left to a more robust boat.
Old 01 February 2018, 03:40   #5

Sorry for deviating off course but having lived in Sydney myself and used boats from Drummoyne ramp to offshore I'm fully aware of how the harbour can be at times ( hence mentioning the bigger option boat).

As you are fully aware not all ribs are built equal even in comparative sizes, some are wet and have different strakes that effect the lift and ride of the boat. My advice is try and get out on any ribs you can to see how differently they perform. I drive an ex fisheries 7.2m rib out of Narooma for a friend and have to say it's the wettest boat I've ever been on and a very different ride to the zodiac.
Old 28 February 2018, 05:29   #6

Town: Clontarf
Length: 4m +
Thank you jonp.
Can you tell me a bit about your RIB?
Old 28 February 2018, 21:16   #7

Town: sydney
Length: no boat
I’m in Sydney also. Always launch at Drummoyne boat ramp. Currently have a 6.4m highfield with Ali hull. Very light for its size and regularly take it out past the heads and up to palm beach. Have to say very happy with how it handles in the rough. Especially now that I have made some height adjustments to the outboard.

I’d highly recommend talking to Justin at Lejen marine up in Pittwater. Tell him Irish paddy put you in touch and he will arrange a demo on various sizes.