Old 20 November 2017, 17:30   #1

Town: Colne
Boat name: Dounut
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60
Gapruff1

Hi I’m new here and would just like to say hi and if anyone has any tips for me as I’m new to ribs
Old 20 November 2017, 17:33   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapruff1 View Post
Hi I’m new here and would just like to say hi and if anyone has any tips for me as I’m new to ribs

I am sure the welcoming committee will be along shortly, but perhaps tell us where you plan to go (and who with /why) and your boat and you’ll get sensible tips.
Old 20 November 2017, 22:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I am sure the welcoming committee will be along shortly, but perhaps tell us where you plan to go (and who with /why) and your boat and you’ll get sensible tips.
Ibe got a 5m rib with a 60 yam I just want to do the south coast and bays,but next year I want to trailer it to Spain so any tips would be very much appreciated. Thank you Poly
Old 21 November 2017, 05:51   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Ibe got a 5m rib with a 60 yam I just want to do the south coast and bays,but next year I want to trailer it to Spain so any tips would be very much appreciated. Thank you Poly

If you're taking her abroad, you will need ICC, SSR & appropriate insurance that covers you for the countries that you intend to visit. You will also need the original bill of sale showing that VAT has been paid.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 07:41   #5

Hi Dave thanks for your help,but now you’ve got me worried I bought the boat through a private sale and I don’t have a receipt saying I’ve paid vat on the boat,the other thing is that I’ve read various post that contradict the need of a icc some you need it others say they have sailed in Spain and never need one,but the main one is the vat receipt hope you can advise me on this
Old 21 November 2017, 07:50   #6
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Hi Dave thanks for your help,but now you’ve got me worried I bought the boat through a private sale and I don’t have a receipt saying I’ve paid vat on the boat,the other thing is that I’ve read various post that contradict the need of a icc some you need it others say they have sailed in Spain and never need one,but the main one is the vat receipt hope you can advise me on this

The Vat issue is a bit like the ICC one. Lots of people might never be asked for one. It’s possible that there are technicalities that mean you don’t really need it but when you are struggling to explain our relaxed british rules to a Spanish port official and he is threatening to impound your boat or fine you, you will wish you had just jumped through the hoops.

The ICC is cheap once you have a PB2 (which would be useful background anyway) or can be sat directly for experienced folk. Essentially it is free with RYA membership.

The first easy thing to do re the VAT would be contact the seller and ask if he has any paperwork (or can tell you who sold it to him - you might be able to get a copy from them).
Old 21 November 2017, 08:26   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
The first easy thing to do re the VAT would be contact the seller and ask if he has any paperwork (or can tell you who sold it to him - you might be able to get a copy from them).
Or design and print a VAT receipt from a defunct UK boat dealer and scuffle the edges up a bit...

Old 21 November 2017, 08:33   #8
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Or design and print a VAT receipt from a defunct UK boat dealer and scuffle the edges up a bit...

If you go down that route make sure you take the contact details for the consulate with you - foreign nationals suspected of fraud are not likely to get bail!
Old 21 November 2017, 16:30   #9

Gapruff1

Quote:
The Vat issue is a bit like the ICC one. Lots of people might never be asked for one. It’s possible that there are technicalities that mean you don’t really need it but when you are struggling to explain our relaxed british rules to a Spanish port official and he is threatening to impound your boat or fine you, you will wish you had just jumped through the hoops.

The ICC is cheap once you have a PB2 (which would be useful background anyway) or can be sat directly for experienced folk. Essentially it is free with RYA membership.

Thank you Poly for your advise I do intend on taking the pb2,and the icc,and I’ll give that a try and retrace the vat,Surley they can see it’s an old boat and that the vat will have been paid on it at some point,thanks once again I really appreciate he help
Old 21 November 2017, 16:34   #10

Gapruff1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

Thanks for the help mate but I’m to scared to do that lol but it’s a good idea I just don’t know any doggy boat shops lol
Old 21 November 2017, 16:41   #11

I know what an icc is and pb2 but I don’t know what an sir is could you please enlighten me please lol
Old 21 November 2017, 16:44   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
You could speak to HMRC & ask them to issue a T2L, they may or may not depending on who you speak to, I found them very helpful.
As an aside, I have been stopped many times over the years, usually at the French ferry ports, both leaving & entering the country. We were given the full treatment in Croatia this summer, they stopped short of the rubber glove. As Poly says, it's easy to discuss it here & say you don't need this or that, try arguing that with a bloke in a uniform & a gun on his turf.
http://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/new...tsforaT2L.aspx
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 17:02   #13

Gapruff1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
You could speak to HMRC & ask them to issue a T2L, they may or may not depending on who you speak to, I found them very helpful.
As an aside, I have been stopped many times over the years, usually at the French ferry ports, both leaving & entering the country. We were given the full treatment in Croatia this summer, they stopped short of the rubber glove. As Poly says, it's easy to discuss it here & say you don't need this or that, try arguing that with a bloke in a uniform & a gun on his turf.
Demystifying Croatian requests for a T2L | News | News & Events | RYA
Thanks for that Dave I will try HMRC and see if they can help me aside the other yeah your better off getting everything that you might or might not to show then if you do get stopped you have them,but someone told me if you don’t live Spain and your not going to be there for more than 6 months then you go by British maritime law,but I don’t know nothing as I’m a newbie so I have to go with what I’m told,thanks for your help I really appreciate all your help
Old 21 November 2017, 17:05   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Thank you Poly for your advise I do intend on taking the pb2,and the icc,and I’ll give that a try and retrace the vat,Surley they can see it’s an old boat and that the vat will have been paid on it at some point,thanks once again I really appreciate he help

That argument, whilst initially sounding logical doesn’t necessarily follow. If your boat was first bought by a VAT registered business (e.g. a sailing school, some large clubs, a charter operator, etc) they may well not have paid vat on the original purchase. They *should* then have charged VAT on any resale (unless to another VAT reg business) but sometimes these businesses are not particularly strong on an accounting front, and the person selling is not the same person who bought it so mistakes happen.

All of that will be irrelevant to an official who expects to see proof VAT has been paid and who’s primary job is to check bits of paperwork are complete. We struggle to understand that here because we don’t have UK officials doing similar roles.
Old 21 November 2017, 17:24   #15

Quote:
That argument, whilst initially sounding logical doesn’t necessarily follow. If your boat was first bought by a VAT registered business (e.g. a sailing school, some large clubs, a charter operator, etc) they may well not have paid vat on the original purchase. They *should* then have charged VAT on any resale (unless to another VAT reg business) but sometimes these businesses are not particularly strong on an accounting front, and the person selling is not the same person who bought it so mistakes happen.

All of that will be irrelevant to an official who expects to see proof VAT has been paid and who’s primary job is to check bits of paperwork are complete. We struggle to understand that here because we don’t have UK officials doing similar roles.
Yes I can understand what you are saying,but I’m the insistent party here what can I do to put this right anyone else got any ideas. Thank you for your help
Old 21 November 2017, 19:14   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
If you go down that route make sure you take the contact details for the consulate with you - foreign nationals suspected of fraud are not likely to get bail!
Just for the hell of it I'll bite:

Is local marine plod/Duane actually going to check the document beyond giving it a good sniff? If the boat dealership has closed, how on earth are they going to check if VAT was paid? Are original VAT payments recorded against HIN plates and searchable in anything approaching real time, I bet they're not! In short, at a marina in continental Europe, how are they going to know the difference between a fake VAT receipt and the real deal? I mean, we're talking about a 5m RIB here, not Yacht A...

P.S. Foreign Nationals get bail regularly in the UK - I blame the Courts...
Old 22 November 2017, 11:05   #17

I’m going to try and track down the owners of the boat and see if I can find out if the vat as been paid or not
Old 22 November 2017, 11:47   #18

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Hi,

How old is the boat? We often find that the manufacturer can give you a copy of the original invoice if you give them the HIN details.

Good luck anyhow

Steve
Old 22 November 2017, 11:54   #19

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Can the manufacturer not point you in the direction of the initial selling agent through the serial number/HIN number.
Contact them and ask for a copy of the original sales receipt.?
Old 22 November 2017, 19:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Hi,

How old is the boat? We often find that the manufacturer can give you a copy of the original invoice if you give them the HIN details.

Good luck anyhow

Steve
Thank you for your help dry run,yes I went down today and got the HIN numbe,I will get onto ribeye tomorrow. Thank you for your help