Old 11 June 2018, 00:20   #1
Kaz

Town: Bridgwater
Boat name: Dory
Make: Avon searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard yamaha 30hp
Damaged nose cone cover

Hi guys, I hope you are all having a fab life?

I am in need of some advice. I am looking to purchase a small rib, which i believe was built in the 90's. It has some damage to the cover on the nose cone, it is ripped across the front and the Velcro has come away from the boat on the sides. This cover protects the fuel tank. Does anyone know if it is possible to replace it or repair it, I am in Somerset in the UK, the boat is in Cornwall. I have posted a picture of the boat showing the nose cone cover but I dont have any pictures of the actual damage to it.

Thanks in advance.

Kaz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (2).jpg
Views:	135
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	125217  
Old 11 June 2018, 06:34   #2

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
It’s more like early 80’s than 90’s.

The flatacraft force 4 used a pvc splashdeck glued to hypalon tubes from what I remember from mine many years ago. We took it back to the manufacturer (no longer around) when it needed repair. You could repair it with pvc repair kit.

I loved my Force 4 and would buy another in a flash if I could find one in excellent condition, sadly they all seem to be rather tired now. Mine was 1974!
Old 11 June 2018, 07:52   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i had one too with a 40 mariner on it should be a quick fix old velcro off clean up and reglue new velcro on, halfords do a self adhesive velcro which might work for the splash deck
Old 11 June 2018, 10:17   #4
Kaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
i had one too with a 40 mariner on it should be a quick fix old velcro off clean up and reglue new velcro on, halfords do a self adhesive velcro which might work for the splash deck
Thanks Jeff. its the rip in the front I am more concerned about, I have asked the guy to send me some pics so i will post them on here for you to see. I am being told that you should only use the correct glues dependant on the boat material?

Kaz
Old 11 June 2018, 10:20   #5
Kaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom 19 View Post
It’s more like early 80’s than 90’s.

The flatacraft force 4 used a pvc splashdeck glued to hypalon tubes from what I remember from mine many years ago. We took it back to the manufacturer (no longer around) when it needed repair. You could repair it with pvc repair kit.

I loved my Force 4 and would buy another in a flash if I could find one in excellent condition, sadly they all seem to be rather tired now. Mine was 1974!
Hi Phantom, good to know they are a good boat. ok I will check out a pvc repair kit. Thanks for knowledge and advice.

Kaz
Old 11 June 2018, 10:25   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
Thanks Jeff. its the rip in the front I am more concerned about, I have asked the guy to send me some pics so i will post them on here for you to see. I am being told that you should only use the correct glues dependant on the boat material?

Kaz
fair enough re-glue you would have to research it but in that case i would go on the polymarine web site all you need to know to repair with all the materials from memory it won't be a big job maybe some new fabric would ease the repair
Old 11 June 2018, 10:28   #7
Kaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
fair enough re-glue you would have to research it but in that case i would go on the polymarine web site all you need to know to repair with all the materials from memory it won't be a big job maybe some new fabric would ease the repair
Brilliant thanks, I will check it out.