Old 19 June 2016, 11:54   #1

Town: Cornwall, UK
Make: Quicksilver 430HD
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 20Hp 4s
Back on the water after 20+ years.

Hi all, I think this site is going to be invaluable to me in the coming weeks, months and years, as I've taken my first baby steps into boat ownership. I'm very aware I've a lot to learn, and relearn! Bear with me...

Growing up, my parents owned a chandlery and my dad was a marine engineer so I had been submersed in watercraft from a young age. I handled allsorts from small dinghy's and dorys, to 30ft+ yachts and spent a few summers driving a water taxi whilst going through college etc. I also helped with the mechanical work and serviced and repaired outboards with my dad. In short I loved it!

As life happens I grew away from this, got a proper job, family and financial commitment and although I've stayed a water user it's not been in boats. Until now I've not bee able to afford something safe and reliable and id never do the "cheap speedboat off eBay" thing as I know the dangers and seen the results!

We live on the south coast of Cornwall and I know the water here quite well. We're not sure as a family what we're mainly going to use a boat for but we knew a rib would be the best boat.

For now, and maybe it's all we need, I've bought a 2010 Quicksiver 430HD with a 20HP Mariner 4 stroke with solid service history on an indespension trailer.

It's like learning to walk again, though least of my worries is boat handling, it's ownership and catching up on 20 years of change. I don't know if modern engines even have sheer pins still!?

I'm heading off to peruse the sib pages.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 19 June 2016, 14:08   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Welcome to the forum Dan.

Somewhat like you I was brought up with boats of all sizes/types surrounding me but once I left my early 20s and the parent's home behind it was all a little more intermittant. However for about the last 10yrs we've had at least one smallcraft of our own and now settled to a 3.8m SIB with 20hp as our current ideal setup.

Your large Quicksilver with 20hp is a good solid outfit and very similar to the one Gurnard uses for some excellent expeditions as well reported on this forum.

Hope you get to make the most of the summer with the new to you craft... you certainly live in the right area for some spectacular boating.

Chuck some pictures up here when you get out and about... always like a good picture.
Old 19 June 2016, 14:28   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hi Dan

Loads of help/opinions on here as fenlander says let's have a look at your set up when you get out in her.

Cheers Jeff
Old 19 June 2016, 16:11   #4

Cheers for the replies an welcome, yeah I think I've got a good jumping off point. We'll be Hoping along the coast for sure. Launching for the first time on Tuesday evening from Fowey. Few things to check before then.

I did see a really healthy looking section here for sibs and if work not too busy tomorrow I'll be getting acquainted with it.
Old 22 June 2016, 10:20   #5

Great first evening out, was like riding a bike, even remembered how to reverse a trailer and get the boat floated without any drama. Ok ot was quiet and still but pleased it worked out.

Boat went well 5 up and we spent a couple of hours on the water.

It did highlight a few things I thought needed altering (most obviously the trailer and dreaded bounce) but we're back in the saddle.

I'll get some pics up soon.
Old 22 June 2016, 11:16   #6

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Welcome Dan - look forward to seeing the pics.

And the VW too.
Old 22 June 2016, 11:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Welcome Dan - look forward to seeing the pics.

And the VW too.
Cheers Max, that didn't take long to get noticed...