Old 20 December 2012, 03:55   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Roguewave must be offshore, so allow me to fill his role...

If you can't work out whether that (or any other) seat is appropriate for the type of passengers, the journey and conditions then should you be allowed to operate a commercial rib?

Quote:
I am sure I am not alone in feeling slightly uneasy as to the mechanism of how
"investigated incidents" suddenly create legislation.
Very often (and this is a case in point) what people on the internet start calling "illegal" is in fact just "bad practice". Its probably always been bad practice but now someone has clarified the issue. The problem with 'investigation' creating 'legislation' is very rarely true to be frank, Indaba, the real problem is people like yourself who are unable to separate the guidance, the law, and the recommendations of a report. The law applies to everyone, it is interpreted by the courts. The guidance applies in most situations in the broadest sense - but is interpreted by the regulators/inspectors etc; often there are different ways to show you comply. The accident report applies specifically to one incident but might include broad general suggestion how to prevent recurrance - and are interpreted by individual operators.

Quote:
Is there any case for graduated qualification of RIB type and engine size? This is not something that was introduced in motorcycle licensing?
or maybe a system which differentiates how far from shore, and the type of weather etc you are allowed out in? Eh... no hang on that would never work ;-)
Old 20 December 2012, 04:26   #12

Length: no boat
Poly

A person who codes ribs has now advised me - but thank you for your considerate comment

Old 20 December 2012, 04:50   #13

Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
During that accident many of us have queried why the injured party was allowed to have a rucksack on in such a manner which exagerated the injury chance, Ruck sack may have had a greater role in this and the front unpadded seat was unwise. Again 30knots is not slow so may be a helm issue as spoken in earlier posts

I must correct you on one point and that is quite simply that the Forward Locker that the occupant was sitting on was NOT intended as, marked as or to be used as a seat especially whilst the craft was in operation. It is and was marked as a Stowage Locker.
Old 20 December 2012, 04:58   #14

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Don't believe everything from the MAIB they can be lenient with the facts and massage figure with the best of them
Old 20 December 2012, 05:16   #15
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Rich View Post

I must correct you on one point and that is quite simply that the Forward Locker that the occupant was sitting on was NOT intended as, marked as or to be used as a seat especially whilst the craft was in operation. It is and was marked as a Stowage Locker.
Stand corrected , unfortunate that he sat there then