Old 19 July 2018, 07:55   #1

Town: Monifieth, Dundee
Boat name: No boat yet
Length: no boat
A quick hello

Hi all. Just thought I'd pop in and say hello as a new member.

I'm Andy (if you hadn't guessed), a complete novice (hence the L-) and love Landrovers (again, hence the L-). I'm mid 40's, married with 2 kids (12,14).

Been toying with the idea of a Sib for a year or so and have been lurking for a while but thought I'd register and say hi. We all love the water and at least one of our holidays each year involves a rented cottage on or near water, whether that be the rugged white sand of north west of Scotland, the not so rugged but golden sands of Devon/Cornwall, the serene beauty of the Lake District or anywhere in between.

We've done a few big Rib trips (it's ok, I know a small Sib is not going to perform like that but imagine the thrill will be the same - think 60mph in a car compared to 20mph in a gocart!) but the idea of a Sib came about as we watched in awe as an older couple wheeled one down the small beach we were at on Anglesey and disappeared into the distance! I guess the fact we're currently on holiday in Jersey has piqued my interest again!

Anyway, just thought it polite to introduce myself and apologise in advance for any daft questions I ask in the future!

Andy.
Old 19 July 2018, 08:05   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. Your holiday areas broadly coincide with those that interest us for sibbing.

>>> the idea of a Sib came about as we watched in awe as an older couple wheeled one down the small beach we were at on Anglesey and disappeared into the distance!

And that's what I love about sibbing. Arrive in the car... flip the tailgate up... and before too long you're heading out to sea leaving those sibless folks (no disrespect) eating their ice creams thinking I wish I could do that.

BTW had the Land Rover phase for about 20yrs but with counselling that's in the past!

So... seen any SIB outfits you like?

David
Old 19 July 2018, 09:32   #3

Town: Monifieth, Dundee
Boat name: No boat yet
Length: no boat
Thanks David. Have seen lots of setups I like!

I'll post some ramblings on my thoughts in the Sib section at some point but thinking 3.8-4 metres with alu floor, with 15-20hp OB. I know it'll be heavy but the heaviest single component will be around 50kg so not too bad. Lift considerably more than that for fun in the gym and as I get older/weaker the kids get older/stronger :-)
Old 19 July 2018, 11:06   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
hello mate and welcome

i downsized from a 6m rib in 2015 and bought a sib going back to where i started many years ago i've never had so much fun doing wild camping trips, close in to shore and just land on the beach great, wouldn't go back to a rib now, hope you get a good set up loads of advice on here.

cheers jeff
Old 19 July 2018, 12:06   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> I know it'll be heavy but the heaviest single component will be around 50kg so not too bad. Lift considerably more than that for fun in the gym

You'll be far more able in that respect than me but bear in mind an outboard is like an upside down pendulum and over slimey stones, soft sand, rocks, up steps etc they are not the easiest thing to manhandle.