Old 27 July 2017, 20:05   #1

Town: Nashville
Length: no boat
A good source of info?

Greetings, new to the very idea of getting a RIB and finding it frustrating to find good information. An example, I saw a reference to a "D-Tube" and did not know what that was. I have googled long and hard have yet to find an answer. Now I figured it was a D shaped tube, but could not find out the why of such a thing, better, worse, what application, whatever. Also trying to find which hulls are deep V and which are shallow or modified V, well, that seems to be a closely held secret, too!
So, wondering if anyone could direct me to an "all about RIBs for dummies" or something similar I would be most appreciative. I need to know a bit before even asking questions here!
I'm not a complete boating newbie, I've had a sailboat and spent lots of days on ski boats, but I've been out of boating for decades, about to retire, and ready for something new.
Old 27 July 2017, 20:16   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
One persons deep V is another's medium V. I think the logic behind d shaped tubes is to increase the internal beam but the fact they aren't more widespread suggests for most applications they may be a compromise.
Old 27 July 2017, 20:22   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Welcome to RIBnet. A friend of mine was in Nashville last week and saw a big sign that she said reminded her of me.
It said "RIB Festival"...

...turns out it was the BBQ variety

You might consider further reading and then a good old dig around on here.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-RIB-.../dp/140818012X
Old 28 July 2017, 06:00   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
Greetings, new to the very idea of getting a RIB and finding it frustrating to find good information. An example, I saw a reference to a "D-Tube" and did not know what that was. I have googled long and hard have yet to find an answer. Now I figured it was a D shaped tube, but could not find out the why of such a thing, better, worse, what application, whatever. Also trying to find which hulls are deep V and which are shallow or modified V, well, that seems to be a closely held secret, too!
So, wondering if anyone could direct me to an "all about RIBs for dummies" or something similar I would be most appreciative. I need to know a bit before even asking questions here!
I'm not a complete boating newbie, I've had a sailboat and spent lots of days on ski boats, but I've been out of boating for decades, about to retire, and ready for something new.
deep V typically 24 degree deadrise medium V 15 degree deadrise which usually end in a planing pad at the stern manufacturers will differ on angle
D tube reference the only one i know of is the foam filled sponson on commercial boats such as delta.
Old 28 July 2017, 07:50   #5

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Maybe "D" fendering was relating to the "D" shaped rubbing strakes that are sommon on some ribs?
Old 28 July 2017, 08:29   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Delta Power Group Boat Production, RIB production factory UK, Quality Control

for info
Old 28 July 2017, 13:14   #7

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
D-tubes are rare for recreational boats. They're very expensive to manufacture.

Why do you need a deep V in Nashville?

If you're on Lake Cumberland, you don't need a big offshore machine... A flatter bottom boat will plane easier and be more stable at higher speeds.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 17:41   #8

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
You could try the "Complete RIB Manual" by Dag Pike.
Old 28 July 2017, 17:49   #9

Town: Nashville
Length: no boat
Hey cool, lots of replies! Richard, I'll be using this boat in the G of M, but either way do not want a deep V hull, as I do not tend to go fast over waves anyway. I'll check out that book.
thanks everyone
Bill