Old 20 February 2016, 18:20   #1

Length: 5m +
Rib trip to from Salcombe to Mediterranean 2017

I am thinking of taking my RIB from Salcombe to the Mediterranean in 2017 to meet up with my family who will be on holiday for a few weeks. Any advice accepted as this is an early checking things out and planning stage. No idea of location in Mediterranean but hopefully southern Spain. Its a mega trip but would be a bit of an epic once in a lifetime thing. I have a Ribeye A600 with Yam 150hp on back so would be a challenge ...

Basically it is it possible? (yes yes yes as already done France for a day so how much harder can it be.... don't answer that) but need to know stopping off points on the way down as well as having engine serviced etc on route. I Can probably do 6 hours a day at 20knots but it is a long way (there and back) so will need some comfort and relaxation on way down as don't really want to tent so hotel and marine is needed.

A bit mad and mega trip but he who dares ....

Help needed????
Old 20 February 2016, 21:17   #2

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
That's what I call a trip, hope you have plenty of holidays as it is going to take you three weeks each way!!
Old 21 February 2016, 07:18   #3

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDrib View Post
I am thinking of taking my RIB from Salcombe to the Mediterranean in 2017 to meet up with my family who will be on holiday for a few weeks. Any advice accepted as this is an early checking things out and planning stage. No idea of location in Mediterranean but hopefully southern Spain. Its a mega trip but would be a bit of an epic once in a lifetime thing. I have a Ribeye A600 with Yam 150hp on back so would be a challenge ...

Basically it is it possible? (yes yes yes as already done France for a day so how much harder can it be.... don't answer that) but need to know stopping off points on the way down as well as having engine serviced etc on route. I Can probably do 6 hours a day at 20knots but it is a long way (there and back) so will need some comfort and relaxation on way down as don't really want to tent so hotel and marine is needed.

A bit mad and mega trip but he who dares ....

Help needed????
What's your fuel capacity / range.

What is the furthest you have done in a day to date ?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 07:37   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I have posted a list of marinas in France and Spain/Portugal here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f27/marinas...ugal-4154.html

(for example) which you can download, if this is of any assistance.
BTW-good luck !

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 09:09   #5

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Just tow it down and enjoy the time down there
Old 21 February 2016, 15:50   #6

120 litres for built in fuel but usually carry an extra 20 litres on board as an emergency. Furthest to date is Salcombe to Guernsey then across to Sark and back to Salcombe via Alderney (WOT on way back so quite fun!). Three weeks each way is a long time so need to get that down to make it doable. Or book a holiday in Bilbao and visit there!
Old 21 February 2016, 17:23   #7

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Perhaps stating the obvious but unless you had one incredible weather window, it is v unlikely you'd average 20knots for 6 hrs a day in a 6m RIB. I've watched a 6m RIB in just a F5 in to the wind struggle to do that from Salcombe to Newton Ferrers.... we were sat on a 40ft yacht.

I'd envisage one big problem would be no support crew following on land. Watch the round Britain event videos from previous years and you'll see the attrition rate of boats and the support they required.

It would be a great adventure I'm sure but I'd envisage this as more of a "months taken off work to do a trip if a lifetime with no time pressure, sitting out poor weather". Rather than, family are going to the med, I know, I'll just drive the RIB there, it'll be fun.

(Perhaps heed Mick's advice!)

Hopefully you have it, but I'd also envisage that for this type of trip someone would need significant experience of navigation, previous "tough" situations, sound mechanical knowledge of engines and a spare parts and survival kit bag bigger than the boat!! ;-)

If a quick channel hop on a fine day at WOT is your experience, you may well have rose tinted glasses of how the trip would pan out.

I've spent 4hrs at almost displacement speed just trying to get 30 miles round the top half of Anglesey and that's inshore. The boat is pounded and shaken to its limit making anything weak break, the crew's bodies too! It's draining.

It's be an awesome adventure, I just hope you have the knowledge and experience to be attempting it! There's some proper experienced people on here that could, but not many I'm sure. And a 6m ain't that big in the open sea!!!

Send us the pics if you do!!
Old 21 February 2016, 19:04   #8

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDrib View Post
120 litres for built in fuel but usually carry an extra 20 litres on board as an emergency. Furthest to date is Salcombe to Guernsey then across to Sark and back to Salcombe via Alderney (WOT on way back so quite fun!). Three weeks each way is a long time so need to get that down to make it doable. Or book a holiday in Bilbao and visit there!
So assuming you average around 1nm per litre and allowing 30% safety margin on fuel in case it cuts up rough and your fuel usage goes up then you have a range of about 100nm which is not great for such a long trip.

You would certainly need to consider fitting a proper deck tank and trying to double your capacity... Then make sure your rib still handles ok with the extra weight...

Not saying that it can't be done but you would want to spend some money getting the boat in shape for it...

If you drop me a PM with your email I can send you a spreadsheet of equipment we use when preparing boats for commercial use (coding) it would be a good start.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 19:42   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Give or take, you're looking at around 1800nm. 100nm a day is doable in benign conditions, even given benign conditions, you'll know you've done it. I'm not advising against having a go, fair play to you if you pull it off, but it's no stroll in the park. Personally, I'd follow Micks advice, rather than blow the thick end of £5k on 2 months of punishment.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2016, 21:02   #10

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Would be an epic journey, but personally, I would trail it down, and spend a couple of weeks ribbing on the med, then trail it back, as I do every year.

However if you do do the journey make sure you post all the pictures on line and let everyone know.

Good luck on your adventure
steco1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2016, 07:14   #11

Length: 7m +
It would cost a fortune with fuel and time dependant on good weather windows, better alternative would be to trailer it there or ship it there or even perhaps hire a rib when there, but then again perhaps its the adventure of getting there your after.
Old 22 February 2016, 07:21   #12

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Via the French canals is the usual route for small powered craft. Safe harbours are in very short supply at the lower end of the bay of biscay, around cape finisterre. Your boat is in no way suitable IMHO.
Old 26 February 2016, 13:52   #13

Town: Poole
Boat name: Blue Ocean
Make: Ribeye 600
Engine: Yam 115
I also have an A600 and have experienced a storm force 9 in an 8 meter commercial RIB and a Force 5/6 channel crossing in mine. The 8m showed me how safe these type of boats can be and the crossing in mine showed how I would not want to risk a trip like that in a smaller boat. I am no wimp but I would not want to be doing that trip in a 6m boat. Nothing is impossible, but if it was me I would be trailering it to the Med and enjoying the sunshine.

Good luck.
Old 24 February 2022, 10:07   #14

Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
So what happened in the end
Old 24 February 2022, 14:24   #15

Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350