Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBnet Europe
Click Here to Login

Old 12 February 2017, 16:10   #1

Town: Cambridge
Make: Bombard DB 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90HP carb
Easter in Holiday Marina, Port Grimaud

OK, so the campsite (Holiday Marina, Port Grimaud) is booked for a long Easter break, the trailer booked for full service next week, the boat has been serviced in December. I still need to sort out crossing the channel and some hotel(s) en route.

What's the max width of a RIB than can be taken on Eurotunnel, has anyone tried that? Or should I give up and just use a ferry?

With hotels, my initial thinking was to cross to France in the evening and have a hotel booked within 100km of Calais, then another hotel somewhere around Lyon. Do you have any recommendations of "RIB-friendy" hotels with parking?
Old 12 February 2017, 18:28   #2

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
When we went to Spain last year we took the tunnel with our Ribcraft 585 and also 2 off Ribquest Supersports no problem.

Drove down without stopping overnight so cant recommend hotels
Old 13 February 2017, 16:17   #3

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
OK, so the campsite (Holiday Marina, Port Grimaud) is booked for a long Easter break, the trailer booked for full service next week, the boat has been serviced in December. I still need to sort out crossing the channel and some hotel(s) en route.

What's the max width of a RIB than can be taken on Eurotunnel, has anyone tried that? Or should I give up and just use a ferry?

With hotels, my initial thinking was to cross to France in the evening and have a hotel booked within 100km of Calais, then another hotel somewhere around Lyon. Do you have any recommendations of "RIB-friendy" hotels with parking?
We always use the tunnel - and unless you are significantly over a normal 'wide' beam Rib you should be fine. I am 2650 strake to strake and stacks of room. Coaches fit with ease, and to be honest, with the walkways down each side of the compartments, there is loads of space and unlike the ferry you are not getting rammed between cars and trucks. I assume you will need the over 1.8m high selection.
We use the Ibis Styles at Bethune to break our journey from Derbyshire - just 50km from Calais - good value and secure parking, and we use the Holiday Inn in Dijon (not quite as far south as Lyon obviously) - again, plenty of secure car parking space. It is next to a large Carrfour, handy for stocking up on wine , and the tram runs from outside the Hotel into Dijon (15mins) for a nice evening in the city

Hotel in BRUAY LA BUISSIERE - ibis Styles Bethune Bruay

and
https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotel...-_-FRA-_-DIJFR

Jeff

Edit - if you have Tesco Clubcard vouchers you can book at 3:1 on Eurotunnel ! .....