Old 23 July 2009, 22:30   #1

Town: London
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 150
Best way to take currency

I'm off on a big trip around the med this August and was wondering what the best way to carry my dosh was - I don't really want to take loads of cash for obvious reasons (wet, mostly) and the thought of being ripped off by my bank isn't great. Anyone any ideas?

I have read recently about a prepaid card from a company called Caxton FX. Has anyone else got one of these and if so, what's the verdict?

__________________________________________________ _

Six and a half of pure Tornado!
Old 24 July 2009, 13:16   #2

Town: Jersey
Boat name: t/t
Make: Honda
Length: under 3m
Credit Card

I use HSBC Mastercard and use it in France frequently. Exchange rate on statements is ALWAYS better than you can get for cash in Post office or local branch in UK.

Debit card at Atm's is usually ok rate for small spending amounts that you cannot use credit card for. (Check with your bank on charges before hand though)

Ensure you have access to internet banking whilst abroard so you check statement on card regularly and also make any payments online to avoid interest charges.

Happy Holiday
Old 24 July 2009, 13:33   #3

Town: Devon, UK
Boat name: Prime 2
Make: Hydrosport
Engine: outboard Suzuki 140
MMSI: 235036316
I travel around Europe, Middle East and Africa for a living and always use my HSBC Mastercard or my debit card for transactions.

There is a small fee, however the exchange rate is always there or there abouts.
Old 24 July 2009, 22:11   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Having had my wallet nicked in spain it is NOT a nice experience. All my money - cards everything gone.

I ended up getting my mate to send money to a post office - it was the ONLY way. They said they would send me new cards - to my HOME address!!!

My mate is very wealthy and thought he would be ok but after trying to help me and seeing what a nightmare it is he invested in an American Express card as backup - they will courier you a new card in 24hrs anywhere in the World.

Remember never keep all your eggs in one basket.

PS - I ain't too keen on the Spanish or the Don Juan hotel - buggers did nothing to help at all even though it was their staff that pinched it!!!
Old 25 July 2009, 03:13   #5

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Having had my wallet nicked in spain it is NOT a nice experience. All my money - cards everything gone.

I ended up getting my mate to send money to a post office - it was the ONLY way. They said they would send me new cards - to my HOME address!!!

My mate is very wealthy and thought he would be ok but after trying to help me and seeing what a nightmare it is he invested in an American Express card as backup - they will courier you a new card in 24hrs anywhere in the World.

Remember never keep all your eggs in one basket.

PS - I ain't too keen on the Spanish or the Don Juan hotel - buggers did nothing to help at all even though it was their staff that pinched it!!!
Could not have happened to a nicer bloke.
Old 25 July 2009, 03:15   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Could not have happened to a nicer bloke.
Yes i thought that as well - really deserved it didn't I as every time I find a wallet I hand it in...............
Old 25 July 2009, 11:19   #7

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
get a nationwide flex account and/or their gold credit card. They don't charge you to use ATMs abroad and when I was using mine in Canada, the exchange rate was always good.
Old 25 July 2009, 19:43   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
My two cents:

1. Your main credit card, for general use - the rates are fine. Don't allow them to charge you in Pounds, it's a rip off.
2. Another credit card*, frontloaded for cash withdrawals (cheaper than travellers cheques) and more flexible - multicurrency.
3. Cash - keep a bit of "mad money" concealed somewhere, be creative.
4. A sacrificial wallet with a couple of Tesco's cards and a few squid in it - keep it handy and obvious. When they find it they will quit looking/let you go.
Old 26 July 2009, 08:20   #9

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Take a look at something like www.moneysavingexpert.com - they have fairly frequent updates on most economic travel cash arrangements, especially this time of year.
Old 23 July 2010, 15:32   #10

Town: jockgrim
Boat name: Maja
Make: Hummel
Engine: diesel xv33
???
Old 23 July 2010, 15:50   #11

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Just back in uk after a week in Ibiza,when i was at various travel agents looking for the best exchange rate before we went all of them were trying to get me to take out the latest tempory debit card that they said could be used in any ATM machine anywhere in the world ,,,
me been a yorkshire man from the old school and thinking what happens if the atm machine then decides to not give your card back for some reason leaving you without money in another country ,,so i went for the cash option .
mart
Old 26 July 2010, 09:37   #12

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
me been a yorkshire man from the old school and thinking what happens if the atm machine then decides to not give your card back for some reason leaving you without money in another country ,,so i went for the cash option .
mart
Natwest decided to block my card when I used it in Crete as they thought it had been stolen, the fact I booked the holiday on the same card was a give away!
They also decided to send me a new card and cancel my old one which wasn't due to expire when I was away with work.
Old 29 July 2010, 23:44   #13

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 150 optimax
barclays have stopped my debit card a couple of times abroad, they never stopped credit cards though, kind of forces you to draw cash on credit card, but to be fair if you tell the card security dept you are abroad they dont stop your debit card, i think its a mixture of arse covering and profiteering at the same time, a handy card to have is a newish credit card that you have not activated, carhire companies and the like will accept it as deposit or security etc. but you wont get any ripoffs or fraud
Old 31 July 2010, 15:24   #14

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Makaira
Make: Forge Marine
Engine: BMW 50HP
I have Caxton FX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudilb View Post
I'm off on a big trip around the med this August and was wondering what the best way to carry my dosh was - I don't really want to take loads of cash for obvious reasons (wet, mostly) and the thought of being ripped off by my bank isn't great. Anyone any ideas?

I have read recently about a prepaid card from a company called Caxton FX. Has anyone else got one of these and if so, what's the verdict?

__________________________________________________ _

Six and a half of pure Tornado!
Hello, I travel all over the world and I have three Caxton FX cards. The Euro Card, Dollar Card and Global Traveller Card.
I also have a couple of credit cards as well as back up.
I have had no problems with these cards and have found them to be superb. You can also take advantage of currency fluctuations if you are sharp.
They are easy to use and load with money, I do it all online but there are other options as well.
You also do not get charged at ATM's.
I used to use a Nationwide card which was free but they have changed it now and you cannot withdraw money abroad with it any more.
Old 03 August 2010, 15:41   #15

Caxton Fx card

Hi! I used my Caxton FX Euro cards recently in Ibiza--->Barcelona---->Valencia--->and finally Paris. I got adviced to get two caxton cards in case I lost one, so I applied for 2 cards. I had no problems whatsoever as it got accepted everywhere, the exchange rate was always bank beating, and most important of all: commissions and fees on ATM withdrawals as well as other transactions made with the card were free of charge. Absolutely brilliant, safe and convenient.
Old 06 August 2010, 21:34   #16

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Engine: Optimax 115
Travelex Cards

I am off to the States and Canada and was considering one of these preloaded debit cards. Our local co-op does Travelex and their post office have their own brand which they are always trying to persuade me to take when I pop in to buy € or $.

Neither will do Canadian $ cards (although they say they do on their websites)and are suggesting I take one in £ but if you look at the Travelex small print it

“Merchant transactions and ATM withdrawals in a currency other than the currency of the Card will be exchanged to the currency on the Card at an exchange rate determined by MasterCard on the day the transaction is processed, increased by 5.75%”

That’s a killer. Are the Carton cards the same? Are people paying these fees?

Jon