Old 26 April 2016, 18:26   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I can only report as I found things...

I had to have a new Zodiac 360 Fastroller fully refunded as the thin ply transom started to delaminate after the first few days at sea. I replaced it with a Honwave which had their thick strong transom which when drilled for transom wheels gave the appearance of plywood laminated inside/out with GRP.

Certainly the seat comparison was the same... Zodiac springy thin barely painted plywood and Honwave thick strong sandwich of plywood with GRP totally encasing it.
Old 26 April 2016, 18:29   #22

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

I had to have a new Zodiac 360 Fastroller fully refunded as the thin ply transom started to delaminate after the first few days at sea. I replaced it with a Honwave which had their thick strong transom which when drilled for transom wheels gave the appearance of plywood laminated inside/out with GRP.

Certainly the seat comparison was the same... Zodiac springy thin barely painted plywood and Honwave thick strong sandwich of plywood with GRP totally encasing it.
But thats a Zodiac and not a Zodiac MilPro which is a different company.
Old 26 April 2016, 18:30   #23

Length: 5m +
Thanks whisper. Does Avon have anything to do with the Milpro range nowadays? The Seariders were re-badged as Milpro products... are they still built in the UK?

I have not heard of Avon bringing out any new SIBs.
Old 26 April 2016, 18:54   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post
Thanks whisper. Does Avon have anything to do with the Milpro range nowadays? The Seariders were re-badged as Milpro products... are they still built in the UK?

I have not heard of Avon bringing out any new SIBs.
They way I understand it is that Zodiac bought Avon in the 90's but kept the Avon Brand and logo going. I think Zodiac split into 2, Zodiac Leisure and Zodiac MilPro. More recently Zodiac Leisure went under but Zodiac Milpro is ok The Avon Brand is still going I believe as I'm sure they still produce the jet tenders? But the SR's as you say were absorbed into the Zodiac Milpro branding some years ago now.

The boats are no longer made in the UK although some parts are. Everything is stored in one central hub which feeds the world when these Military / Professional boats are required. So hopefully off the shelf + shipping time.

SR's are still very much available in either grey or (special order) Orange. The current SR range is:

SEARIDER 4.0 GREY TUBE
SEARIDER 4.7 GREY TUBE
SEARIDER 5.4 GREY TUBE
SEARIDER 5.4 I/O YANMAR-A1 No water-ballast
SEARIDER 6.3 GREY TUBE
SEARIDER 6.3 DJ YANMAR 4LHA-H213 No water-ballast

I can keep going all night on this
Old 26 April 2016, 19:12   #25

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Whisper just commenting on the Zodiac leisure range which compete with the Honwaves... fully understand the Zodiac commercial and military kit is a totally different build.
Old 26 April 2016, 20:14   #26

Quote:
Whisper just commenting on the Zodiac leisure range which compete with the Honwaves... fully understand the Zodiac commercial and military kit is a totally different build.
Yeah I know what you mean and sorry if I came across rude then, that wasn't my intention.

I mostly follow the Avon Searider hull design and also the Zodiac FC range so I'm happy they're both still out there

I had this set up in this video and can believe that I sold it but as you say worlds apart from the leisure stuff

Old 26 April 2016, 20:46   #27

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Zodiac Takes Over and Avon Comes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
I would compare the 3.5m Honwave to the 3.5m Zoom by Zodiac...they are almost identical in the engineering and build, since they are both 100% glued.

Yes I would agree.
We run a 2012 Zodiac Zoom 3.5 Alumin. bought new for under £800 from BMC (list price £1595). Chinese built, fully glued Strongan pvc and complete with wafer thin Zodiac ply transom.
Bear in mind I am comparing this to an £800 boat but to date has been, and is, faultless. Now in its fourth season, max 20hp motor strapped on, usually found towing kneeboards or bouncing around in the surf. If it fell to bits tomorrow, we've probably already had our monies worth, but in fact it still looks and performs as good as the day we unpacked it. The glued seams are always a potential problem but how we look after it can maximise their life. We also have an Aerotec, and for a short while an F-Rib 375, which despite their considerable cost have been far from perfect!
Scarily, the new Zodiac Cadet 3.5 referred to above is, apart from the obvious benefit of welded tube seams, a carbon copy of the Zoom. Retail price has come down also.
If the Honwaves are anywhere as good as our Zoom, and in fact look even better put together, then for £800 - £1000 seem really good value.
Old 26 April 2016, 21:46   #28

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Well the factory looks deserted, hardly any cars in the car park at all now and one large part of what was the Avon factory is now deafen trade park where there's a plumbers merchants and a tool station and a lovely new roof encasing the old asbestos..........
Old 27 April 2016, 03:04   #29

Thank you for the information, it is a shame they no longer produce any boats in the UK but, of course, not a surprise.

Whisper, regarding the latest Seariders, have you had the chance to inspect one of the latest Milpro produced models? I have seen some photos but I have been wondering how the build quality, hypalon used etc compares to the originals from Avon? Also, how do the Milpro prices compare, have they been increased a lot?
Old 27 April 2016, 15:42   #30

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:

Zodiac uses an aviation grade marine plywood. Basically meaning, it contains a low amount of defects (knots), and the glue is waterproof. It has nothing to do with the rot resistance of the wood. With your Fastroller, I would have simply relaminated it with epoxy and called it a day. Not a very difficult repair (30 min) and not at all noticeable. The paint is an average thickness for a paint that is sprayed with HVLP...probably about the same amount of paint you would find on your car?

For Chinese builders, their plywoods I have seen usually have a lot of knots and biscuit cuts in them, where good wood was spliced in. The coating is a very thick amount of a paint. It is not a fiber supported gelcoat. I have seen it crack, fail, and chip off many times with many different brands.

In any case, it is important to maintain the paint on your transom to keep the wood protected. My preference is an easy 1-part alkyd paint...Sand, wipe with MEK, allow it to flash, Interlux pre-kote, lightly sand, then 2 coats of Brightside w/ flattener.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avon, zodiac