Old 22 October 2009, 10:32   #21

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Yikes! 60" is a huge moose!!! In Manitoba, anything over 50" would be considered a large moose!

I see some demented creature has crawled out of it's hole and is typing gibberish on HoveRuss's computer.

Old 22 October 2009, 10:33   #22

Town: Anchorage
Make: Zodiac MKIII GR
Engine: Johnson 25
(the Turtle wax will help “toughen up” your shell a bit there little turtle…..)

Old 22 October 2009, 12:11   #23

oops... typo on my part prairie tuber. 50" spread is legal minimum in most areas. Also, I am not sure, but think that our moose are more closely related to the Russian variants, and yours are related to those in Northern Europe. I believe they differ a bit in regards to rack development, size and shape.

See attached for a parts break-down of the valves I have. Might come in handy for the next poor chap searching the forums for Zodiac valve information!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZodiacICValve.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	47009  
Old 22 October 2009, 19:39   #24

Fenlander, would you be so kind as to notate some dimensions from your support? I am hopeful that the MKII and MKIII used the same support, but if not, I can use your dimensions as a starting point to fabricate one for myself and scale it up as needed.

Also, how thick would you say it is? And could you guess at the type of material? I will probably fabricate from UHMW or HDPE, unless you think that it matters if the material will eventually “take a set” in which case I may have to use something else…
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Zodiacdodgersupport.pdf (122.7 KB, 173 views)
Old 22 October 2009, 19:50   #25

Thanks for the valve schematic, Alan. I see that they are actually nickel plated brass, not stainless steel as I had previously stated.
Old 22 October 2009, 20:12   #26

Town: Sunshine Coast, Aus.
Boat name: Rubber Dolly
Make: Ribtec 585
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury F115 Efi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
Serious mauling is far more common !
Absolutely fine with me.
Old 22 October 2009, 20:32   #27

Did something just fart?
Old 23 October 2009, 00:08   #28

Awww, not to worry prairie tuber, HoveRuss is apparently just a bit out of his comfort zone in regards to hunting… and that’s ok. I like the UK, and I like the people, and I really, really like the beer. I have always engaged in lively and civil conversations regarding politics, religion and hunting during my visits there. The thing is, that hunting, at least in the sense that you and I are used to, is essentially non-existent in the UK and the folks there don’t practice it, didn’t grow up with it, and it isn’t part of their culture. Therefore some folks don’t understand and cannot relate to our affection and obsession with it. It’s kind of like me with Cathedrals and Castles… every time I see one, I am totally awe struck (or gob smacked if you prefer) and simply stand there like a foolish tourist trying to soak it all in, while the locals go about their daily routines taking their magnificent treasures for granted as would I if I had grown up looking at them my entire life. I have been around guns and hunting my entire life. It’s what I do, it’s what my ancestors did… for me, it’s a normal thing. My wife is Yupik Eskimo and they enjoy eating seals, walrus, fish and whales… not at all my kind of thing, but I have embraced their culture, if not their food, and have found enjoyment and knowledge in knowing her and her family.
Now that I have found this sight and have another common interest to share, I am hopeful that during my next trip to the UK I will be able to hook up with a local member or two from this forum and chat about RIB’s and SIB’s over a pint or two!

so Russ... do you want that tub of Turtle Wax or not? Might come in hand down under where the do have critters that think of us as snacks...
Old 23 October 2009, 06:54   #29

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
OK here are the dimensions related to your attachment...

A - 30.75"
B - 21.75"
C - 9"
D - 7"
E - 9.5"

Dia of end "pegs" - 0.6"

Thickness of support - 0.1" in middle increasing to 0.2" at edges next to pegs.

Material - It's not HDPE but I'm sure that would be a close match. It's harder than HDPE but definately not fibreglass. Almost what I'd call a resin type material. I've seen similar used for mountain bike pedals.

Here is an image that shows how much mine arches up when fitted. It really does stretch the spray hood bow tight.

I guess you could determine your dimension A (as your boat is bigger than mine) by using some flexy pipe as a trial and error to get the correct stretch than upscale the rest of the measurements.

Hope that helps.

David
Old 23 October 2009, 09:31   #30

Hey, Alan don't get me wrong, I love the people of the UK to bits. Our 2 N.A. countries were both founded by ancestors that were primarily from the UK. Canada's backbone in its early formative years including it's heroics during the 1st & 2nd world wars had alot to do with young brave Canadians of British, Scottish, Irish & Welsh descent. For centuries the British Empire had represented the standard of the most modern forms of civililization. They have been great friends & allies to both of our countries.

Having said that, any individual (regardless of their nationality) who cannot make a clear distinction of the value of human life compared to any other form of life, is truly contemptible. If said individual one day has an epiphany and realizes that human life is truly sacred, then they will be elevated from the "contemptible" status.

Fenlander, Thanks for that picture. I had never seen one of those bow cover supports installed in a zodiac. Very interesting.