Old 22 October 2009, 14:32   #21

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Yikes! 60" is a huge moose!!! In Manitoba, anything over 50" would be considered a large moose!

I see some demented creature has crawled out of it's hole and is typing gibberish on HoveRuss's computer.
Old 22 October 2009, 14:33   #22

Town: Anchorage
Make: Zodiac MKIII GR
Engine: Johnson 25
(the Turtle wax will help “toughen up” your shell a bit there little turtle…..)
Old 22 October 2009, 16:11   #23

oops... typo on my part prairie tuber. 50" spread is legal minimum in most areas. Also, I am not sure, but think that our moose are more closely related to the Russian variants, and yours are related to those in Northern Europe. I believe they differ a bit in regards to rack development, size and shape.

See attached for a parts break-down of the valves I have. Might come in handy for the next poor chap searching the forums for Zodiac valve information!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZodiacICValve.jpg
Views:	2402
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	47009  
Old 22 October 2009, 23:39   #24

Fenlander, would you be so kind as to notate some dimensions from your support? I am hopeful that the MKII and MKIII used the same support, but if not, I can use your dimensions as a starting point to fabricate one for myself and scale it up as needed.

Also, how thick would you say it is? And could you guess at the type of material? I will probably fabricate from UHMW or HDPE, unless you think that it matters if the material will eventually “take a set” in which case I may have to use something else…
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Zodiacdodgersupport.pdf (122.7 KB, 229 views)
Old 22 October 2009, 23:50   #25

Thanks for the valve schematic, Alan. I see that they are actually nickel plated brass, not stainless steel as I had previously stated.
Old 23 October 2009, 00:12   #26

Town: Sunshine Coast, Aus.
Boat name: Rubber Dolly
Make: Ribtec 585
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury F115 Efi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
Serious mauling is far more common !
Absolutely fine with me.
Old 23 October 2009, 00:32   #27

Did something just fart?
Old 23 October 2009, 04:08   #28

Awww, not to worry prairie tuber, HoveRuss is apparently just a bit out of his comfort zone in regards to hunting… and that’s ok. I like the UK, and I like the people, and I really, really like the beer. I have always engaged in lively and civil conversations regarding politics, religion and hunting during my visits there. The thing is, that hunting, at least in the sense that you and I are used to, is essentially non-existent in the UK and the folks there don’t practice it, didn’t grow up with it, and it isn’t part of their culture. Therefore some folks don’t understand and cannot relate to our affection and obsession with it. It’s kind of like me with Cathedrals and Castles… every time I see one, I am totally awe struck (or gob smacked if you prefer) and simply stand there like a foolish tourist trying to soak it all in, while the locals go about their daily routines taking their magnificent treasures for granted as would I if I had grown up looking at them my entire life. I have been around guns and hunting my entire life. It’s what I do, it’s what my ancestors did… for me, it’s a normal thing. My wife is Yupik Eskimo and they enjoy eating seals, walrus, fish and whales… not at all my kind of thing, but I have embraced their culture, if not their food, and have found enjoyment and knowledge in knowing her and her family.
Now that I have found this sight and have another common interest to share, I am hopeful that during my next trip to the UK I will be able to hook up with a local member or two from this forum and chat about RIB’s and SIB’s over a pint or two!

so Russ... do you want that tub of Turtle Wax or not? Might come in hand down under where the do have critters that think of us as snacks...
Old 23 October 2009, 10:54   #29

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
OK here are the dimensions related to your attachment...

A - 30.75"
B - 21.75"
C - 9"
D - 7"
E - 9.5"

Dia of end "pegs" - 0.6"

Thickness of support - 0.1" in middle increasing to 0.2" at edges next to pegs.

Material - It's not HDPE but I'm sure that would be a close match. It's harder than HDPE but definately not fibreglass. Almost what I'd call a resin type material. I've seen similar used for mountain bike pedals.

Here is an image that shows how much mine arches up when fitted. It really does stretch the spray hood bow tight.

I guess you could determine your dimension A (as your boat is bigger than mine) by using some flexy pipe as a trial and error to get the correct stretch than upscale the rest of the measurements.

Hope that helps.

David
Old 23 October 2009, 13:31   #30

Hey, Alan don't get me wrong, I love the people of the UK to bits. Our 2 N.A. countries were both founded by ancestors that were primarily from the UK. Canada's backbone in its early formative years including it's heroics during the 1st & 2nd world wars had alot to do with young brave Canadians of British, Scottish, Irish & Welsh descent. For centuries the British Empire had represented the standard of the most modern forms of civililization. They have been great friends & allies to both of our countries.

Having said that, any individual (regardless of their nationality) who cannot make a clear distinction of the value of human life compared to any other form of life, is truly contemptible. If said individual one day has an epiphany and realizes that human life is truly sacred, then they will be elevated from the "contemptible" status.

Fenlander, Thanks for that picture. I had never seen one of those bow cover supports installed in a zodiac. Very interesting.
Old 23 October 2009, 14:30   #31

Fenlander, that is one clean looking SIB you have there, and it looks like you just picked it up from the show room yesterday! It would be quite a stretch to suggest that mine looks even half as nice… especially the ores! You do know that you can get them wet right? Ha! Just so you know… to properly “age” an ore, it must be alternately soaked in a mixture of filthy bilge water and fish slime, and then allowed to bleach in the blazing sun about a hundred times. I have found that to be the best way to remove the pesky finish and color, and allow the wood to swell and split in multiple places….

How do you like that Tohotsu? They are becoming very popular up here in the 4-stoke market, and are probably the third most popular behind Honda and Yamy but are quickly moving up in stature.

T hat picture and your dimensions help out immensely! I think I can now fabricate a usable piece. Zodiac seems to have done away with the bow cover on the newer models of the Grand Raid series and I wonder why?

Prairie tuber, fear not, I did NOT get you wrong and am in total agreement. I was just trying to play nice with a fool that has probably only seen the Disney cartoon version of critters that are given cute names, funny voices and human traits by Hollywood movie types that are every bit as uninformed and clueless as poor Russ is… Or perhaps he has seen some fat lethargic specimens lying about in some zoo, hamming it up for the cameras every now and again

Our standing rule regarding bears when we have the little kids with us, is that if they are close enough to us that we can make out their eyes; then any distance closing move they make, must be considered as aggressive, and it’s time to get busy with the rifle… That might sound harsh, but once you have seen how much ground one can cover during a charge in just a few seconds you will instantly realize that “bear viewing” turns to “bear defense” at about 100 yards and if he is within 25 yards… well, you’re probably “bear food” unless you are spot on with your shots. And while bear spray frequently works, it also sometimes results in a very angry bear that is now even more intent on seeing if you are a crunchy snack, or a chewy snack…
Old 24 October 2009, 21:47   #32

Well I lucked out and was able to put the Zodiac in the water for the first time today. The weather held out and we actually have sun today and very little wind. The engine ran great, no leaks in the boat and it gets up on plane pretty good despite the prop which desperately needs replaced. It tends to cavitate if much throttle is added, but I suspect a new prop will correct that.

Thanks again to all that have been gracious enough to offer input and suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zod and Dodge.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	47064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zod on Trailer.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	47065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zod on Trailer 2.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	47066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zod Sand Lake.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	47067  
Old 25 October 2009, 04:49   #33

Hi Alan.

Congratulations, glad to hear it all went well. Sounds like you probably have a spun prop hub. Also, If there is any loose fabric under the hull near the transom, that may induce cavitation. If you get to do any hunting with the boat this fall, be sure to post up the trophy pictures.
Old 25 October 2009, 11:29   #34

Hi Prairie tuber, no the hub is not spun, at least so far as I can tell, and also according to my engine guy, but the prop is really hammered… missing about ¼” all around with a bunch of nasty nicks and dents, so the blades are not in plane with one another… Aftermarket props going for about $80, so I will pick up two or three this winter.

I got the motor off and on the stand, and all the floor boards pulled out last night and the boat aired back up but I still need to get the aft top back on and get the thing all tarped up before it snows. Now I need to get the garage cleaned up from the mess I made building the motor dolly so I can start on some more projects…

I think I am going to drill the floor boards for rivnuts and put in a bunch of small “D” rings for strapping stuff down, and then take them down and have them (the tops only) covered with Rhino-lining.

Will do with the hunting pictures!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Prop.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	47083  
Old 24 May 2010, 16:51   #35

good day on the water!

Hi guys!

Thought I would revive my post from last October and thank everyone again for their helpful advice!

Our weather has improved to the point that I was finally able to put the Zodiac on the water last Saturday for its first real shake down after the long winter. This was also the first outing for the Wife and Boys. It was a lovely day with nearly 60 degrees and very little wind. Perfect for boating!

Over the winter I managed to dump about $600 into the trailer which needed a new axle, new hubs, new tires, new lights, new wiring, new decking…. I also sprang for two spare tires complete with new hubs, bearings and spindles so that no matter what, even if I end up with a bearing failure in the middle of nowhere I still have what I need on the trailer to get home.

I don’t have a good number for what I spent getting the Zodiac ready… and don’t really want to know, but I did fabricate a seat assembly, refinished the bow board, thrust board, transom and transom protector. Also fabricated a wooden storage tray that is screwed to the forward side of the transom just below the engine plate. Bought a used seat from an Avon and installed that in the front for the wife or kids to sit on. Ended up using a ¼” fiberglass rod for the bow dodger support and that seems to have worked out pretty good. I will probably cut two more down to length and put all three up there and tie them together.

Also upgraded my tow rig…. Quite a bit of overkill for the little Zodiac, but should be better suited to pulling our other toys around!

See attached for the photos, and thanks again to everyone for the help and advice!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG00396.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	51335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00395.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	51336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00393.jpg
Views:	263