Old 20 October 2009, 20:32   #11

Town: Anchorage
Make: Zodiac MKIII GR
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 25
I was able to locate a schematic of the valves and now have a pretty good idea of how they go together and work. I will try lubing them with something tonight (weather permitting) and see if that loosens them up some.

I noticed something while browsing around on the forum and looking at other SIB's... those with forward skirts like mine, have some sort of support rod under the skirt, presumably to give it some support. I have the mounting holes but not the rod. Do you know what the rod is supposed to look like and aproximatly how long they are? I am assuming them to be fiberglass?

My motor is ready to be picked up after having it gone thru, checked out, and a new water pump installed. I might just get a wild hair and plop the thing in the lake this weekend and see how she does!

Of course the odds of success are stacked against me... lets see now...

Weather man calling for snow... Check!
High's in the 30's... Check!
Trailer registration expired... Check!
Trailer tires bald and weather checked... Check!
Trailer lights inoperative... Check!
Boat not yet registered... Check!
Life jackets; got lots of them!... Check!
Distance from my house to the lake? a mile and a half on residential streets... Hmmmm, this could be do-able... not 100% legal, but do-able...

Old 20 October 2009, 22:08   #12

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
... Hmmmm, this could be do-able... not 100% legal, but do-able...

They've now regulations in the last frontier?

Old 21 October 2009, 09:50   #13

Ha! Believe it or not… even we Alaskans have some regulations and requirements to Burdon us now! With the minor stuff (trailer registration for example) enforcement is spotty or non-existent, but depends on the mood of the officer if you know what I mean…
Registration for powered boats is now mandatory state wide on all water ways ($25 for 3 years) and is mostly enforced in urban areas. Fish and game regulations… woe betide the fool that busts one of those regulations! Rigid enforcement and heavy fines, including the confiscation of your vehicles, guns, tackle and equipment can be brought to bear upon your sinful soul…
Old 21 October 2009, 15:01   #14

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
I

I noticed something while browsing around on the forum and looking at other SIB's... those with forward skirts like mine, have some sort of support rod under the skirt, presumably to give it some support. I have the mounting holes but not the rod. Do you know what the rod is supposed to look like and aproximatly how long they are? I am assuming them to be fiberglass?

are you meaning the spray deck or bow dodger ..i just use the hard p.v.c plumbing water pipe, just keep cutting it down until you get it right, i have made stainless steel ones from 15mm pipe but pvc works better, on an old zodiac ex rescue boat of mine it was held up with a wood post in the middle ,
Old 22 October 2009, 01:33   #15

Prairie tuber and jyasaki, I was able to utilize your advice and lubricate the valves. I used Dow Corning 33 as it has worked well for me in low temp applications before, and it seems to have done a great job of freeing up the valves as far as rotation is concerned. Also the advice and explanation of pulling them (the hand piece) out from the valve, against the pop-off spring, worked out great, and I now see how the “pop-off” over-inflation feature works!

M chappelow, I think we are speaking of the same piece… the two cylindrical attachment points are on the forward, and inboard section of the side tubes and point forward, inboard and slightly up in relation to the boat. I do not see a corresponding attachment point or points on the underside of the skirt, and therefore assume that the support piece should be a sort of “U” or hoop shape? Is this correct?

Thanks again for the help and advice!
Old 22 October 2009, 02:40   #16

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Fish and game regulations… woe betide the fool that busts one of those regulations! Rigid enforcement and heavy fines, including the confiscation of your vehicles, guns, tackle and equipment can be brought to bear upon your sinful soul…

LOL, The conservation officers around here aren't noted for their sense of humour either, but they do have alot of power, so 100% compliance to all fish & game laws is very important!
Old 22 October 2009, 05:06   #17

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Hear is the support from my old Zodiac.

You'll see a popper in the middle... that fits to the popper on a little tag just under the hood that I can see on one of your images. You have to fit the support when the boat is deflated then it tightens up as you inflate.

It's made of a very tough plastic.

Hope that helps,

David
Old 22 October 2009, 05:19   #18

Town: Sunshine Coast, Aus.
Boat name: Rubber Dolly
Make: Ribtec 585
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury F115 Efi
Can't - and wouldn't - help with your question. But I sincerely hope the bear gets the better of you and it's you that ends up murdered.
Old 22 October 2009, 10:17   #19

Prairie tuber, according to A-F&G the two most common hunting violations here are 1. Shooting from on or across a road (there is no excuse for this, and mercy is rarely given for such stupidity) and 2. Shooting a “sub-legal” bull moose. Most of the game management areas have a size limit on Bull Moose that relates to horn size and brow tine count, with 60” spread or 3 or 4 brow tines being common, the young bull hunts are usually “spike fork” requiring one antler to be either a spike or a fork. The 60” spread requirement is what usually get’s inexperienced hunters as it is very difficult to judge from a distance, and… it’s not like the moose is going to just stand there and let you walk up with your tape measure to get an accurate dimension on him and count all his brow tines! Even though its difficult to make the determination at times, it is still not a valid excuse for shooting an animal that isn’t legal, but having said that, they tend to be far more lenient on those cases, and usually only issue a fine and suspend hunting privileges for a year or two… but only if the hunter in question self discloses his error! A willful violation is a whole nother ball game! The meat is of course confiscated and then donated to food shelters.
Caribou and bears have far less stringent requirements, and are generally based on gender.

Fenlander, thanks so much! That does indeed look like the piece that I need! I will contact the previous owner and see if he has it lying around some place. Failing that (and I highly suspect he won’t have it) I will have to try and find one, or fabricate one… So far I have had very poor luck in locating any Zodiac parts of any kind, however I will continue checking around on the web…
Old 22 October 2009, 10:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoveRuss View Post
Can't - and wouldn't - help with your question. But I sincerely hope the bear gets the better of you and it's you that ends up murdered.

HoveRuss, you never know… you could get your wish! Fatalities from bear attacks are not common, but they can and do happen. Serious mauling is far more common and in recent years has occurred in very close proximity to urban areas, resulting in long term or permanent injuries to hunters and non-hunters alike.
But you can bet that I will do my very best to insure the safety of my three young children, my lovely wife, hunting companions, and myself just as I always do when in “bear country”. Perhaps your perspective would be a little different if you lived someplace were human beings were not at the top of the food chain. However, if my post has offended you or caused you any sort of emotional pain, I sincerely apologize, and if you will pm me with your address, I will gladly ship you a tub of turtle wax as a gesture of kindness and good faith!