Old 28 September 2011, 02:49   #21

Town: Yellowknife CANADA
Make: Zodiac MkI & Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Engine: OMC 2hp/15hp/60hp
Took the Bombard C3 out today. I was surprised that it took me the same length of time to set it up as the MkII, 25 min for each of them. The water was much flatter today so it was hard to compare them for ride in the chop though it seemed like it might be a touch nicer. It was a hair fast than the MkII 35.5kph vs. 34kph WOT, might just have been the difference in water/weather conditions.

Old 06 October 2011, 19:48   #22

Town: oregon
Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: M40C
I have a C3 with a 40hp tohatsu. It is very nice but a little scary at wot. I'm considering trying hydrofoil on the outboard. BTW, I've owned inflatable keel achilles and a dynous and much prefer the C3 solid keel.
Old 07 October 2011, 09:42   #23

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
That C3 looks a useful rugged boat. I did see a couple of them when we were looking recently but just too heavy for the way we use ours. If I was trailering or keeping one next to a slipway though they'd be a serious consideration.
Old 19 November 2011, 01:44   #24

Town: Lake Stevens
Make: Bombard/Zodiac
I have a Bombard B4 with a wooden keel/wooden floors. I also have a Zodiac Mk II Grand Raid. Personally, I think the wooden keel gives the boat better "bite" on turns and softens the ride in chop. It is a little bit of a PITA to assemble the boat, but at least you always know your keel is doing its job. I've been chasing a leak in my keel in my Grand Raid for a while now (think I got it finally). Operating with a soft keel is bad for the bottom of the boat.
Old 19 November 2011, 03:03   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombard brent View Post
I have a Bombard B4 with a wooden keel/wooden floors. I also have a Zodiac Mk II Grand Raid. Personally, I think the wooden keel gives the boat better "bite" on turns and softens the ride in chop. It is a little bit of a PITA to assemble the boat, but at least you always know your keel is doing its job. I've been chasing a leak in my keel in my Grand Raid for a while now (think I got it finally). Operating with a soft keel is bad for the bottom of the boat.
B4 or C4?

The Commando boats are definitely better in the chop with their wooden keel boards.
Old 19 November 2011, 03:23   #26

It's a B4. 1981.
Old 19 November 2011, 03:33   #27

Interesting. I'm not familiar with the B4. It sounds very similar to the C4. Do you have any pics?
Old 19 November 2011, 04:24   #28

Here's a photo of one. Not mine but you get the idea.

BOMBARD B4 + Yamaha 30 Nautisme Manche - leboncoin.fr
Old 19 November 2011, 04:26   #29

Here's one for sale on CL

13' INFLATABLE BOAT
Old 19 November 2011, 04:45   #30

Okay, thanks for the info. It doesn't look like it has as deep a "v" as the C4.
But it has a wooden keep as well, huh?
Old 25 November 2011, 12:52   #31

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
Both nice looking boats. Tough decision. The wooden keel hull is a deeper V. Inflatable keels tend to leak somewhat, in my experience. Just means you gotta top 'em up once in a while. No big deal.
Looks like you have the wrong stringers in the Zodiac. They should engage with each of the flat square floor boards. But not with the smaller wooden boards in the bow. Maybe the pics in the manuals show that. I had a Mk II C with 25 HP. Went pretty good, but you always want more ponies.
20 to 30 share the same block, so if you want more its going to get heavier. Stick with what you got.
Wait. Is that a long shaft? You need a short shaft.
I found the bow dodger to be very useful for keeping a little dry spot in the boat. I made a box to fit under it.
I used the bow mast mount to mount a light. It was a really slick bit of engineering. I wish I had a pic, but I don't.
I got a broken mast from a dealer, used the threaded end for attachment. Cut a section of 3- 1/2" ABS pipe, about an inch. Put a flat piece on top, and a inside chamfered ring on the bottom with the male thread protruding into the bottom. Looked like a hockey puck, but open at the bottom. Mounted the light on top. Small, efficient and rock solid.
Let me know when you're ready to sell one. I have a friend near Edmonton that might be interested.
Old 25 November 2011, 14:58   #32

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
Also, the keel should not be attached along its full length, rather, only in a couple of spots, so yours is probably OK.
Old 25 November 2011, 16:59   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Pike View Post
Looks like you have the wrong stringers in the Zodiac. They should engage with each of the flat square floor boards. But not with the smaller wooden boards in the bow. Maybe the pics in the manuals show that.
I was wondering about that too. I own a 1983 Mark II GT C. I looked at the brochure that and it shows the Mark II boat with simply 2 stringers that don't contact the last aluminum board.
Old 25 November 2011, 19:02   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by headdamage View Post
Which would be the better boat for beach launching and use in open water off shore... A 1979 Zodiac MkII or a 1992 Bombard C3? The motor would be a 1992 Johnson 30hp short leg tiller model. Thanks.

I'm curious, did you ever decide which to keep? What did you end up doing with the other?

As I'm sure you have or are figuring out, it really comes down to which to you prefer for whatever reasons, as with most boats. Personally I love my C3 and would only replace it with a C4 or C5. I don't find the wooden keep any more of a pain to set up than the inflatable keel, plus I never have to adjust it. I use my boat in lakes, the ocean and the Umpqua river rapids (oregon). No need to remove the keel in the rapids. My C3 is a 1989 in great condition.

Anyways, just curious what you decided.
Old 27 November 2011, 06:19   #35

The C3 now belongs to a friend that lives near by and I kept the MkII. I Just like the MkII better overall, likely because it is so similar to my old MkI that I grew up with. The motor is a short shaft 30hp Johnson and seems to move both boats very well. Both my MkII and the C3, now my budies, will be getting fixed up before next summer and getting put to use.
Old 27 November 2011, 15:24   #36

Excellent! They are both great boats, and you guys will have loads of fun!
Old 17 March 2012, 20:14   #37

I got around to taking the MkII into the local inflatable shop and they fixed up the trust board and some other little bits for $250 CDN which I thought was very good. I had budgeted $500 so I bought a Bravo power pump from them as well. They said the MkII was in the best shape they had ever seen for an older inflatable so I'm very pleased about that

Now if the water will open up I'll take her back out for some fun.
Old 18 March 2012, 19:47   #38

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Mariner 25hp
Those Bravo pumps are brilliant. I use one for the Aerotec 380 and it has me up and on the water in no time
Old 18 March 2012, 20:03   #39

Town: warrington
Make: Honwave T32
Engine: Mercury 15 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscott
Those Bravo pumps are brilliant. I use one for the Aerotec 380 and it has me up and on the water in no time
Bought a bravo pump on Friday..... Worth every penny