Old 25 October 2010, 23:58   #11

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
I vote for the following set of directions because they stress the environmental conditions in your workspace. For strong bonds you need to avoid humid conditions. The two part glue is hygroscopic. Strong long term bonds are the goal. Most rafters know to haul their boats away from the water to make permanent repairs. NRS doesn't mention that in their directions. I really think the environmental conditions and mek prep make a big difference in bond strength and longevity.
http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/INFO/INFOGLUE.html

Old 26 October 2010, 00:09   #12

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Here is a link that does have some relevant posts regarding transom repair. It might be helpful. You do want to be methodical and work in sections. Mgalvez is most certainly right that you can do a great job if you care to spend the time. I certainly had fun regluing my mk2 futura.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....ight=nobrainsd

You may find it difficult to find marine ply as thick as your transom. It is not hard to laminate layers together.

Old 26 October 2010, 16:27   #13

Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 25hp
great link Kelson, I skimmed thru it just now and its packed with info

My plan of action at the moment is to make a new transom and then possibly take the boat to a pro to reglue the tubes. I have limited space and we are about to go into winter so the back garden will be no good as a workshop

will get some pics up as soon as I start

Cheers for all the sound advice!!!!!
Old 27 October 2010, 15:12   #14

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Anyone who can make a transom can reglue the tubes. I would put making the transom a much harder level than gluing the tubes. You will need to replace the PVC fabric that is black strips. You can see in the photo it is worn out and coming apart.

If you do plan to pay someone to reglue the boat, I would get a price first. Take the boat with you. I had to reglue every glued seam on my boat and it took more labor than the boat was worth. Since I did it myself it was free labor.

Sometimes a new/used boat is a better deal...
Old 28 October 2010, 12:18   #15

Peter C is right on. If you aren't handy or don't own the tools to do a job like this, it will probably be better to buy a new boat. You will need a scroll saw or something like that to cut out a new transom, claps to laminate two pieces, knowledge of how to use resin, respirator etc etc etc. If you don't need it in a rush and have time, then it can be a fun project and if done right, the boat will be better than new.