Old 16 March 2015, 00:15   #1

Town: London
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard, 15 hp merc
Zodiac Mk2 CGT paint & floor?

Evening all,

I've recently got back to the uk, been away for a couple of years with work, and discovered my pride and joy Zodiac, which has been stored in a friends garage has had gloss paint splashed on it and to top it off the wooden floor is missing!!

2 questions, what could I use to remove gloss paint without damaging the fabric and where could I get a replacement floor?

Many thanks

Dave
Old 16 March 2015, 07:44   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

You ask a friend to store your pride and joy. They tip gloss paint over it, and lose the floorboards!

Removing the paint will be fairly laborious, as it depends on the area covered. Get the boat inflated, as it's simply easier to work on. Using a scraper or Stanley knife blade (loose) but be very careful, scrape off the worst of the paint. Damp down with white spirit and try covering with cling film to see if it will penetrate. Use lots of soapy water and a green scouring pad to remove paint residue.

The floorboards are a different story. If you contact Zodiac main dealer - be prepared for a shock. I reckon a new floor would be in the £500+ range. You could try sourcing second hand from another boat, or try making your own from marine ply. I take it the stringers are missing too?
Old 16 March 2015, 10:21   #3

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply. Yes that's about the size of it... I suppose the only bonus is that I didn't pay for 2 1/2 years of storage, but as you can imagine I'm not too impressed...!

I'll have ago with white spirit and a blade at the weekend, yes stringers have gone too!

I did consider making one but I have nothing to use as template, so its either borrow one to copy, find some one who is willing to make me one or purchase a new one, saying that if I do end up purchasing a new one I might consider an aluminium one....

Many thanks

Dave
Old 16 March 2015, 11:26   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
You'll probably find buying another boat cheaper than buying a floor new.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2015, 11:46   #5

Hiya,

Nos4r2 your quite right, as I've just found out, new floor £1000 and that doesn't include stringers or bow section... All in I'm gonna be close to £1400

Looks like I might have to attempt to make one, any one got measurements or any one willing to make one for me ?

Many thanks

Dave
Old 29 March 2015, 22:29   #6

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
I cleaned my Zodiac up before i re-glued my transom with nail polish remover and it worked a treat.You need to find one with acetate / ace-toner in it though and don't leave it on too long would be my advice, good luck with the clean up.
The wooden floor should be easy enough (marine ply) i covered my wooden floor with a couple of exercise mats that i purchased from sports direct. I stuck the foam mats down with spray on carpet glue and it worked perfect and is waterproof too + comfy under foot.
Old 05 April 2015, 17:12   #7

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies. To remove the paint I have now tried white spirit, turps, petrol, nitromors (the old stuff), thinners, gun wash, xylene & MEK... nothing has touched it...! The only thing that I have been able to do is very gently scrape at it with a flat Stanley blade, slowly but shortly the paint is coming off :-D One tube is not completely clean, took a day and a half mind!!

Next problem I have is floor, I though I'd found one but it appears that its too short... My transom plate is far too old and battered to be read but I was sure mine was a either MK2 GT or CGT but I'm beginning to wonder... only thing for sure its 14' long and the valves are at the back end of the tubes, outside of the transom and the inside of the transom to thrust board measures just over 2 meters, any ideas??

Thanks

Dave