Old 11 January 2014, 09:38   #1

Zodiac mk2 c

Hey I'm thinking of getting a new rib and this zodiac looks pretty good' what would a 25hp yam be like? Pros and cons for this boat?
Cheers
Old 11 January 2014, 09:45   #2

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I don't believe they are ribs - it's a sib. Difference being it has a floor plate over a material bottom (hull) unlike a RIB which has a solid hull.

Good fun if it's what you are after, and a well respected version.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2014, 11:57   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Good, capable leisure SIBs with extensive dealer network, but be warned regards the cost of their accessories!

Any reason buying new - other than condition?

New boats now use over sized tubes but build is exactly the same, thermo-bonded, etc.

If you go for HD version (aluminium floor sections) I found this gave the boat rigidity, plus a little more weight. It's relatively light and performs best with two or three up. Older boats were rated for 40hp, but 25hp is perfect power/weight, especially if you can source a Yammie 2-stroke.

Can be built in an hour or so, but if you can source a soft bunk trailer, then this would be best for launch and retrieve. You can remove floor mid-season to flush out sand, etc.

Only maintenance is to re-varnish oars every other season, lube alloy valves (plastic on newer boats), and replace valve diaphragm or cap seals periodically. If storing boat deflated make sure it's thoroughly dry before folding.

Zodiac Futura is worth looking at too. Only real difference are inflatable speed tubes under main sponsons. Found this one, expensive for what it is, but it has road trailer.
Zodiac Futura Mark 2C - Used | www.penninemarine.com
Old 11 January 2014, 12:13   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I used to run one with a 15hp which was plenty with 2 or 3 on board but might struggle if heavily loaded. A 25 would cope with more and would be pretty sporty one up, but is a lot more engine to lug around.

The aluminium deck can be a bit challenging to get apart, and my knuckles still bear the scars as proof!

Unless you need a super heavy duty floor I'd go for a a Bombard Aerotec 380. It's the same size and similar performance, but lighter and less hassle. On the other hand if you're going to keep it on a trailer then a small RIB would give you much better performance and comfort.
Old 11 January 2014, 12:53   #5

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I ran a Mk2 C Fastroller Futura with a Yam 25hp 2 stroke last summer.

I'm struggling to find anything bad to say about it, took less than 10 mins to inflate and staggeringly quick (for a Sib) in the water. With 1 up I actually felt it was overpowered but with the family on board it was a perfect packable boat to chuck in the boot of the car (The boot does need to be quite big !).

With the 25hp on it would pull ringo's and kneeboard adults, it would also pull a small teenager on a wakeboard.
Old 12 January 2014, 20:20   #6

Thanks guys another question!

Zodiac futura mark 2 c Alu
OR
Zodiac classic mark 2 c Alu

Both with a 30ho four stroke console
In waves of 1.5m
Old 12 January 2014, 20:52   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by liammurraystrout View Post
Thanks guys another question!

OR

In waves of 1.5m
Given the choice, I'd go for the Futura. The speed tubes help it plane better. For an extra few pounds you could consider the MKII (4.10m).
Old 12 January 2014, 21:05   #8

Town: Big Bay, Awhitu
Make: Zodiac 3.8M. Mk2
Engine: 25N Yamaha
Id go for the Classic.
The 25N short shaft Yamaha weighs 48 kg. which has the best power to weight ratio.Get the 25N with shallow water tilt.
The Classic rolls up better than the Futura and theres more room for finicky problems with the extra runner tubes, the get bashed when trailering, collect sand and crap with the futura.
The Classic rolls up smaller so good if no trailer, like move it in bags and assemble on beach.
Lot more weight to carry with Futura and 30 Yamaha.
Trailer almost necessary.
My 2 cents.
I wouldn't get the console as it takes up heaps of space and makes a trailer a must.
Old 12 January 2014, 22:22   #9

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I have a Futura GT and would never put a console into a boat so small. Yeah it might be nice for long range cruising, but I could never get as much stuff or people into it.

Aluminum decking is the way to go for rigidity, but there is something to be said for packability with an air deck.
Old 12 January 2014, 22:32   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZDoug View Post
Id go for the Classic.
The 25N short shaft Yamaha weighs 48 kg. which has the best power to weight ratio. Get the 25N with shallow water tilt.
If the OP is fitting a 30hp 4-stroke engine then the boat outfit will probably be trailered. A 25hp 2-stroke is just about manageable if being carried from a trailer or car boot. Incidentally you can't buy a new Yamaha 2-stroke in the UK unless it's for commercial use.

Quote:
The Classic rolls up better than the Futura and there's more room for finicky problems with the extra runner tubes, they get bashed when trailering, collect sand and crap with the Futura.
True, but there's no need for the speed tubes to get damaged with care. Deflate when trailering, etc. Needs long-shaft outboard on new boats.

Quote:
I wouldn't get the console as it takes up heaps of space and makes a trailer a must.
Never tried the console kit so can't comment. Not much padding on seats and uber expensive.

4-stroke outboard weights
The new Suzuki DF30A weighs in at a hefty 62kg with the Honda BF30 and Tohatsu MFS30 another 10kg on top of that. The Mercury 30 EFI is 78kg and the new Yamaha F30 (who ate all the pies) is an astonishing 98kg.
Old 12 January 2014, 23:10   #11

Town: Big Bay, Awhitu
Make: Zodiac 3.8M. Mk2
Engine: 25N Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Incidentally you can't buy a new Yamaha 2-stroke in the UK unless it's for commercial

DOH!
Old 16 January 2014, 21:36   #12

Mk2

I went through the same dilemma last year. I have a tiller 25 hp Evenrude E Tec which at 72kg was to much to lift on and off the transom of my Honwave.

I looked at the Zodiacs but went for a Bombard Commando C4 with console and bench seats. Converted the E Tec to remote control.

I keep the boat on a trailer all year so inflating / deflating not an issue and I can trailer With the engine mounted.

Console does take up room but there is only two of us and I did not like the rear weight balance and sitting on the tubes with my tiler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	89272  
Old 03 February 2014, 03:48   #13

Town: Seattle, Washington, USA
Make: Zodiac Futura Mk IIC
Engine: Honda 20hp 4-stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by liammurraystrout View Post
OR

In waves of 1.5m
My Futura 2c goes like stink with two people on board. I've got a 20hp 4-stroke. I think a 30hp is more than you need for 2. If you are hauling a boat full of divers, or you like going fast, go with the 30hp.

I think you could do 1.5m waves just fine. Question is, would you want to do 1.5m waves in a little SIB?

EDIT: The Honda 20hp (in it's lightest incarnation) is 104 pounds, right at the limit of what I can carry on my own. If you are thinking of getting a bigger motor, that means a trailer, so why not get a RIB?