Old 16 September 2019, 04:59   #1

Town: Bellingham, WA
Boat name: T/T Belafonte
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 9.9
Zodiac mark III repair

I’m relatively new to Sibs, and acquired an old 14 foot zodiac mark III that you all were kind enough to help identify for me! It was stored in a basement most of its life before given to me, so fabric, floor boards, and transom are all in pretty solid shape! I used the boat all season last year and filled my freezer full of crab, but alas, it seems that the glue is starting to give up in certain places. Most notably on one of the tube seams in the starboard bow. I’ve tried to do some glueing in the past, using some two part hypalon glue from weaver, and I couldn’t get it to work for the life of me. I sanded the area, and cleaned with toluene, but I just didn’t get good results at all. It’s possible I didn’t get the ratio of Hardener right, but it was very thick and hard to coat. Now that I’m looking at gluing a whole seam, I’m pretty nervous about getting it right. Now I’m looking at another two part hypalon glue that NRS sells made by Clifton, as well as some 2.5 inch wide pennel orca seam tape (hypalon equivalent). My plan is to glue the seam, then back it, and all the existing seams up with the seam tape. They’re still holding air, and I really don’t think I have the wherewithal to re glue the whole thing. am I correct that it is hypalon? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0262.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	130813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0766.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	130814  
Old 16 September 2019, 17:55   #2

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazsecure View Post
I’m relatively new to Sibs, and acquired an old 14 foot zodiac mark III that you all were kind enough to help identify for me! It was stored in a basement most of its life before given to me, so fabric, floor boards, and transom are all in pretty solid shape! I used the boat all season last year and filled my freezer full of crab, but alas, it seems that the glue is starting to give up in certain places. Most notably on one of the tube seams in the starboard bow. I’ve tried to do some glueing in the past, using some two part hypalon glue from weaver, and I couldn’t get it to work for the life of me. I sanded the area, and cleaned with toluene, but I just didn’t get good results at all. It’s possible I didn’t get the ratio of Hardener right, but it was very thick and hard to coat. Now that I’m looking at gluing a whole seam, I’m pretty nervous about getting it right. Now I’m looking at another two part hypalon glue that NRS sells made by Clifton, as well as some 2.5 inch wide pennel orca seam tape (hypalon equivalent). My plan is to glue the seam, then back it, and all the existing seams up with the seam tape. They’re still holding air, and I really don’t think I have the wherewithal to re glue the whole thing. am I correct that it is hypalon? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Before you get to invested check to see if all the seams are dieing. its what kills old boats, old glue.

I just did a patch this morning with weaver pvc 2 part glue. I have never had a problem but its never been on old glue joint but rather on new patch.
You may have done these steps but since you had an unsuccessful glueing I'll mention them.
1-Clean off all the old glue. Every bit, to fresh material. Dremel tool with sanding disc.
2-Make sure you have Hypalon glue, Mine is PVC glue. ( might be different process)
3-Clean with solvent, sand area, clean with solvent again just incase a finger print put some oil back on it.
Glue the area with a complete cote, not to thin but not overly thick. Let it dri so its slightly tacky or less. This cote will stay on the fabric and not lift or at least thats the idea. But its dry enough not to stick to other side well.
4- put on a second cote and when its dry enough not to transfer to your gloved finger press together. Too dry and it wont stick well. I then after pressing together rubber mallet the joint you pressed together. This can be hard to get the seam on a solid surface but it's how you really bond them, roller works well too but I like the mallot. Small areas that can't get on the table I push a short rounded stick like a broom handle rounded end up from under and get the seam on it and hammer together adjust to next spot and repeat. But this requires you to have pressed the surfaces together already so the position is correct. For your glueing job you will have to figure what will work for hard spots cause I don't think the stick will work well.
Perhaps try a glue test with fresh patch material on a bench. You should be able to get great results and see what's needed before you put in tone of time in on the re-glue job.

P.S. I still love your boat. Old Zodiacs really brings back memories. Good luck
Old 16 September 2019, 18:53   #3

Town: kansas city
wow that appears to be a 1973 zodiac. I can't believe it's still going strong.

That being said, seams are going to be the most challenging to glue. I'd give it another shot and make sure the humidity and temperature are perfect. that is so crucial.

Tags
zodiac, repair