Old 03 February 2011, 03:08   #1

Town: jacksonville
Make: zodiac g470
Length: 5m +
Engine: etec 25
Zodiac G470 f470 fc470

After not finding much info online about these boats, I decided to start a thread so that others who are interested in these boats or who own these boats can see my set up and post pics of theirs.

I purchased a G470 Zodiac boat from Defender, a U.S. based inflatable boat retailer, a few months ago. I can find very little info about these boats, but own one now, so will be posting anything I learn in the next couple months.

First off, a short shaft outboard will definetely not work. The yamaha 25 short shaft I have was a no go.

So onto the Etec. Pretty satisfied with the Etec 25 I just put on it. I've only put two hours on the boat thus far, but think this motor suits the boat well. I have only used it with just myself aboard and a 6 gallon gas tank, and was hitting max MPH of 27, and able to plane at a mere 12 mph. I'll post MPG when I get more miles on it. It seems anything much bigger on this boat would be a bit insane from a controllability standpoint. It's rated for a 50, which I can't fathom.

Disappointingly, the high pressure floor in the G470 came with a leak around the scuba inflation port. I'll let you know how zodiac's warranty service goes on this. Kind of sucks to buy a brand new zode and already have a leak out of the box. It is small, but annoying because it is new.

All in all, a great boat so far. Waiting for the water to warm up a bit to see how it is to dive out of.

Pics to come.
Old 03 February 2011, 13:50   #2

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Hi mdragon and welcome

I've recently bought a new FC470, it's still a little way from being launched, see here: linkage

I know what you're saying about lack of information on these boats but there's a few knowledgable people from your side of the pond that post here inc Stephan from Defender, in fact your boat may have been advertised on here by him a while ago.

If you do a search on here you will find a few threads relating to the Milpro boats.

Will be interesting to hear how you get on and look forward to the pics
Old 03 February 2011, 15:28   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
There's a couple of people on the North American forum who have been hawking new Zodiacs. As I recall, one was selling the model you bought. Might have a look there and ask the seller for info.

Luck;

jky
Old 03 February 2011, 19:49   #4

First pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0388.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	56885  
Old 03 February 2011, 20:17   #5

Town: Quebec city
Make: Zodiac hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha
Great boat, your Boston Whaler looks great too.

If you need help on something, I'm a Milpro dealer I'll be glad to help.

For your leak, is it coming from the trump that connects the keel and the floor?
educhesne@blyacht.com
achille2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2011, 18:48   #6

i like your setup. Wish I got the hypalon model too, but got a good deal on the pvc model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Hi mdragon and welcome

I've recently bought a new FC470, it's still a little way from being launched, see here: linkage

I know what you're saying about lack of information on these boats but there's a few knowledgable people from your side of the pond that post here inc Stephan from Defender, in fact your boat may have been advertised on here by him a while ago.

If you do a search on here you will find a few threads relating to the Milpro boats.

Will be interesting to hear how you get on and look forward to the pics
Old 04 February 2011, 22:40   #7

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdragon View Post
i like your setup. Wish I got the hypalon model too, but got a good deal on the pvc model.
Bear in mind that the PVC model is half the weight of the hypalon version. With an FC 470, you'd probably want a fair bit more than 25 hp to push it. From what I've read, those 25/30 ETECs are pretty remarkable outboards. How are you liking yours so far?
Old 11 February 2011, 04:15   #8

Town: NEWPORT BEACH, CALIFORNIA
Make: ZODIAC FC470 CRRC
Engine: Suzuki 25hp 2 stroke
I like your whaler too. I'm coming off of 3 whalers (21 Outrade, 13 Anniversary Edition, 22 Revenge), now on to my first Zodiac. Just picked it up last week and get to take out on the water for the first time this weekend. I look forward to submitting many questions here!
Old 22 February 2011, 15:42   #9

Town: Arapahoe
Boat name: Seal
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: Etec
Zodiac Hypalon FC 470, 530

I own two FC 470's and one FC530 with roll up and hard decks. I power the 470 with a 55 HP Johnson Milspec Jet outboard converted to electric start. The 470 with the 55 HP is a total blast and I can't even imagine a better preforming inflatable boat, it handles like a Porsche. I know these boats inside out and became a Zodiac Tech certified at repairing the 470. All my boats are for sale since a recent serious leg injury. See my new webpage with my listing at w w w. zodiac rib .com I'm happy to help anyone with one of these boats so feel free to fire your questions at will.

Will
Old 24 February 2011, 03:30   #10

Town: San Diego
Boat name: Stormbringer
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: 90hp Mariner
FC470 deck

Anyone knwo where to get a hard deck for one of these? I have the roll up but no hardeck.
Also, need any deck for the FC530
Old 24 February 2011, 18:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by engarom View Post
Anyone knwo where to get a hard deck for one of these? I have the roll up but no hardeck.
I'm not sure where you could find used set of aluminum floorboards. You can order a new set from Zodiac for the small cost of one or two healthy organs. I had been quoted $ 3000 when I was looking at parchasing an F-470 a few years ago.

If you have a template, you could make a great set of floorboards from either 5/8" (minimum) or 3/4" (preferable) marine mahogany and stringers & stringer retainers from purpleheart(ideally), and still keep both testicles. After the lumber and milling costs, you'd probaby be somewhere between 10-20% of the kind of cost I was quoted for an aluminum floor board set.
Old 24 February 2011, 19:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by engarom View Post
http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40032
Old 24 February 2011, 20:10   #13

FC470 Storage

Just thought I share my recent learnings on the subject of storage...

After seeing a transom bag on Northern Pike's futura (see here), I've literally spent hours searching for the same bag but came to the conclusion that it's either been out of production for years or it's non-Zodiac with a Zodiac badge on it.

One type of bag that did keep catching my eye during google image searches was cargo bags designed for ATV's. One in particular looks quite suitable, it should fit against the 470 transom between the tubes quite nicely. Also it doesn't have a zip to corrode and seize, it uses a magnetic flap instead.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/tamarack...cargo-bag.html

It's not waterproof but anything that needs to stay dry can go in a smaller dry-bag inside.

Another heads up for anyone interested: While my google search terms went from zodiac bag to cargo bag etc etc, I turned up a cargo net designed specifically for the FC470. This I thought could be really handy as well as adding to the "Mil-factor". (Did I just invent a new catchphrase? )

http://www.trgear.com/osc/eshop/prod...roducts_id/155

They're made for the US military so I guess they're really well made but priced between 300-400 USD made me hesitate briefly!

However I came across an eBay auction yesterday where there was 4 (brand new) for sale at $49.00 Needless to say there's only 3 now but if anyone's looking for a bargain:

eBay
Old 25 February 2011, 01:55   #14

Nice finds! Nice website too! I just might pickup on of those cargo tamers. Here is what I've done for storage of basic gear;

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....ght=buyers+box
Old 27 February 2011, 15:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
I own two FC 470's and one FC530 with roll up and hard decks. I power the 470 with a 55 HP Johnson Milspec Jet outboard converted to electric start. The 470 with the 55 HP is a total blast and I can't even imagine a better preforming inflatable boat, it handles like a Porsche. I know these boats inside out and became a Zodiac Tech certified at repairing the 470. All my boats are for sale since a recent serious leg injury. See my new webpage with my listing at w w w. zodiac rib .com I'm happy to help anyone with one of these boats so feel free to fire your questions at will.

Will
Hi Pelican,

I've always been curious about those pump jet/durajet lower legs. How does their performance compare to that of a regular prop? The safety benefits are obvious. Is it any more problematic than a prop if used in weedy areas or shallow rocky areas?

Very reasonable prices being asked for the 470 and 530 by the way.
Old 26 March 2011, 05:00   #16

Town: san diego
Boat name: boat
Make: zodiac f470
Engine: outboard
zodiac f470 hard deck

Wondering if anyone has built a hard deck for their f470? I have a 2 piece hard deck from an old Mark 2 that I use to have and I'm trying to modify it to fit my newer f470. If anyone has any good pics and possible measurements of their hard deck I could get a better picture of how to make it. Anything would be appreciated.
Old 28 March 2011, 18:31   #17

Town: NEWPORT BEACH, CALIFORNIA
Make: ZODIAC FC470 CRRC
Engine: Suzuki 25hp 2 stroke
Here are some photos of the hard deck I recently built. I made it from marine grade plywood. I'm still trying to figure out what to do for the joint between the fore and aft boards, although the boards work fine and stay in place by themselves.

I have a crude template I used. You can have it if you want. Its just a drawing on cardboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	feb11 003.jpg
Views:	1419
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	57960   Click image for larger version

Name:	feb11 004.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	57961   Click image for larger version

Name:	feb11 007.jpg
Views:	996
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	57962  
Old 28 March 2011, 19:51   #18

zodiac deck

Those pics look great. Does your boat have the thrust board near the bow on it? Looks like I don't have to do much modifying to my deck. These pics make it a lot easier for me and I thank you again.
Old 28 March 2011, 19:53   #19

zodiac deck

never mind the thrust board question. Looks like its there
Old 28 March 2011, 20:11   #20

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Hi Pelican,

I've always been curious about those pump jet/durajet lower legs. How does their performance compare to that of a regular prop? The safety benefits are obvious. Is it any more problematic than a prop if used in weedy areas or shallow rocky areas?
They suck up weeds like mad. To the point of needing to tilt the motor and rake them off. We used a hand held garden tool for this job, its surprisingly hard to reach back there while on the water. Rocks not so much unless you are in water so shallow the tubes are scuffing.

Performance wise most jets lose about 20% of the rated HP compared to a prop. In my experience with them they are quite inefficient in the mid-range too. Its idle or full throttle.

Unless you have a specific need for a Jet (running in rivers or around swimmers as a rescue boat) I would stick with a conventional prop.