Old 24 July 2006, 00:23   #1

Town: seattle,wa
Boat name: Hurricane
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude
zodiac Futura MK3 HD

Does any one have experience with a Zodiac Futura MK3 HD
was thinking of getting one to have fun near the beach in fair weather and on lakes and rivers

was also wondering if this boat would pull a wake boarder with a 60 HP
E-Tech

any comments would be helpfull

or if there is another boat similar in size 14-16 ft that would do what i need
just looking for a fun boat thats lite weight
Old 24 July 2006, 05:55   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
If you are looking for the futura hull in the Mark 3 size you are probably talking Futura Commando 470 (880 dtx hypalon), or the leisure grade Mark 3 futura (PVC).

The Futura Commando 470 is a very well built & expensive boat which is used by the U.S navy. You might be able to pick up a used one cheaply through a US government liquidation auction. Chances are it will have already been very heavily used.
Old 24 July 2006, 21:37   #3

Town: London
Make: Osprey ViperMax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Etec
Futura MK11(C) with a 30hp 3 cyclinder yamaha will pull up a wakeboarder if he / she knows what they are doing. Main problem is theres no wake so no much to do!

Also had a MK11 Futura sport (White and yellow / Jockey console) with 50hp 3 cyclinder yamaha that would pull anything up.
Old 25 July 2006, 01:38   #4

Town: seattle,wa
Boat name: Hurricane
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude
Pvc

Im talking about the futura MKIII not a commando i would like to have one with a jockey console and 2 xtra seats

I dont like PVC but i guess i have no choice. Is there another option that would fit the bill i would like to have one that can fold up so i can take it on my 4 wheeler trips

any make with hypalon
Old 25 July 2006, 05:58   #5

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
The only hypalon fully inflatable (SIBS) boats that zodiac has made for the last 15 or more years are the for Military-Professional line. That would include Mark II & Mark III Grand Raids (inflatable vee keels), Mark II & Mark III Futura Commandos, and the Mark IV, Mark V & Mark VI Heavy Duty (also with futura hulls). The 'Heavy Duty' series does not include a Mark I, II or III (even though the Commandos are basically Mark II & III sized versions of the Heavy duties.

There is the 5.3m LSC (light strike craft - aka Ribster). This is a very unique RIB which has an aluminum hull that can be disassembled into 3 pieces and removed from the tubes and transom. Pricey suckers those are!

In my earlier post, it was supposed to read that the Commandos use an 1880 decitex hypalon (not 880).

If you are interested in a Mark III sized boat (4.7) a well used Futura Commando 470 that is in reasonble condition will still far outlast any brand new PVC (leisure class) Mark III futuras.

Kind of like a 20 year old toyota lancruiser with 200,000 miles on it. If it has been reasonably well maintained, it will still way outlast any brand new Ford or Chevy truck.
Old 25 July 2006, 07:20   #6
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidgriffiths

Also had a MK11 Futura sport (White and yellow / Jockey console) with 50hp 3 cyclinder yamaha that would pull anything up.
Can second this, great fun these, although no RIB in the rough stuff, brilliant for bombing it about, a good friend of mine hand one for a number of years and regrets selling it.
Old 25 July 2006, 15:02   #7

Town: NC
Make: Avon
Engine: Tohatsu 30
What about an Avon- Doesn't have the speed tubes but is Hypalon, can get them 13-16 feet, rated for up 40-60hp depending on size. Find on e-bay for abour $2k
Old 25 July 2006, 15:11   #8

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
pvc

don't worry about pvc, its superb on these boats and stays looking better ie scratch resistant etc for longer. Hypolon is excellent but does mark does uv deteriorate etc . I have both at moment and don't dislike either, the fuss re repairs is frankly now out of date as most repair centres have stuff to do them,(I had 3 repairs to one last season no problem.)
Old 26 July 2006, 17:44   #9

Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
I can second that, the PVC Futura's are really solid boats, the material is very thick. The old Zodiac website had a video clip showing a Futura slamming in to a brick wall using a crane and the boat looked untouched from the experiment!!

The smaller tender-type Zodiac's are no where near as tough (punctured mine last week ) where as I've previously had 2 Futura's which felt a lot tougher and were much less likely to burst.
Old 26 July 2006, 20:04   #10

Town: Oakland CA
I would tend to agree with Mike at this point in time. Zodiac had tons of problems with early PVC boats, but seem to have sorted the assembly problems out. (I'm not sure exactly what the brick wall demo is supposed to prove, though. Any inflatable can do this providing the impact doesn't burst the tubes.)

Another manufacturer you might look at (assuming they're available over there) is Achilles. I ran a 14' SIB with a 40 4 stroke for several years, and sold it in very good condition. It was a hypalon boat with aluminum floor boards and a wood transom (new ones are glas, I think) Ran about $8000 new with trailer in 2001.

jky
Old 27 July 2006, 00:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki
I'm not sure exactly what the brick wall demo is supposed to prove, though. Any inflatable can do this providing the impact doesn't burst the tubes
The point being that being swung in a pendulum motion from around 60ft in the air WOULD burst the tubes on many inflatables, cirtainly the smaller ones like I currently have. The PVC on the Futura feels a hell of a lot thicker (unfortunately heavier too when throughing in the back of the car, hence the downgrade )
Old 27 July 2006, 00:24   #12

Can't find the vid but here's some stills of the experiment:

http://www.zodiacmarineusa.com/about/4reasons_4.htm