Old 27 August 2014, 12:27   #1

Town: St Helier
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 4m +
Engine: none
Zodiac Futura Mk3?

Having had larger hard boats for years I now have a young family and don't have time for all the hassle of moorings/maintenance etc. Seriously considering buying a Zodiac Futura Mk 3 with inflatable deck and either a 20hp (44kg) or 25hp (62kg) Suzuki outboard. I don't have a 4x4 and have limited space for a trailer anyway. With 10m tidal range where I live and rough terrain beaches I would be severely limited with launching/recovery using my van and trailer to a couple of hours either side of high water. Therefore considering the Futura with transom wheels which I can pump up and hand launch. I would either put the rolled up boat and outboard in my van or probably buy a small camping trailer to stow it all in. The reason I want the Mk3 is that experience shows me that the bigger the boat the safer. I would be using the boat for fishing trips/crusing around the coast and going to off lying rocks/beaches 2 to 3 miles off shore.

Questions I have are:
1. How does the Futura mk3 compare to something like the smaller and less expensive Bombard Aerotec 380 in terms of sea worthiness/ride?
2. Does the additional 40cm on the Futura mk3 over the mk2 give you any benefit in terms of sea worthiness in this type of boat? The Mk3 is only 6kg heavier so other than price what is the disadvantge?
Old 27 August 2014, 12:56   #2

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I have had an Aerotec, a Mk2 and currently have a Mk3.

The Aerotec is probably the best transportable boat you can buy, but the Mk3 is in a different league. Its longer but also a lot wider, internal volume is greatly improved and extra length gives a lot better ride and keeps you dry in all but the worst chop. The extra length really makes it feel like a 'proper' boat and you can carry everything you need for a day out with room to spare.

I keep mine on a trailer for ease, I never felt the need to do that with the Aerotec. I have deflated the Mk3 and taken it away in a caravan, but it really is a 2 person job to lift. Inflating is easier than the Aerotec (single floor valve and no messing with the V floor) but obviously takes longer.

The Mk3 planes easier than the Aerotec and is faster top end but it does tend to go over the waves rather than through them. best performance and handling are achieved with a brave throttle hand.

Difference between the Mk2 and Mk3 ? Its really just length, you would be hard pressed to notice any performance difference.

It might sound like I'm bashing the Aerotec, I'm not, its a superb boat. But the Mk3 is just better, easily explained by the £4.5k price tag versus £2.5k for the Bombard.
Old 27 August 2014, 13:06   #3

Thanks for that info, very useful... this helps me narrow my choice down to the Futura Mk2 or Mk3.
Does the Mk3 need a more powerful outboard than the Mk2?
Do you think the 20hp would be sufficient on the Mk3 for cruising with 2 adults and 2 kids or would 25 be more suited?
Old 27 August 2014, 13:33   #4

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I know the mk3 will plane easily with 2 big adults, a huge teenager and a 15hp engine, 20hp should be fine.

But, knowing the conditions round you, I would go for a 25hp if you can find one, mine does 30kts with a Yamaha 2 stroke.
Old 27 August 2014, 21:23   #5

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Read this thread for more info on moving a boat that size around.
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/buying-...sib-64049.html
Old 28 August 2014, 13:41   #6

Town: Seattle, Washington, USA
Make: Zodiac Futura Mk IIC
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 20hp 4-stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain View Post
Thanks for that info, very useful... this helps me narrow my choice down to the Futura Mk2 or Mk3.
Does the Mk3 need a more powerful outboard than the Mk2?
Do you think the 20hp would be sufficient on the Mk3 for cruising with 2 adults and 2 kids or would 25 be more suited?
I've got the Futura Mk IIC Alu with a 20hp 4-stroke. It planes easily with 2 Americans and a ton of junk on board. I picked the 20hp (104 pounds / 47kg) because I can carry it around myself. I think anything heavier would require assistance (or some very developed back muscles) mounting / unmounting on the boat.

I have no worries about its sea-worthiness, but (like mentioned previously) it does ride over the tops of the waves and the ride gets rough when driven quickly in chop.
Old 28 August 2014, 15:27   #7

Thanks Wild Bill. I tried lifting 65kg (the weight of a 25hp 4 stroke) in the gym yesterday and there is no way I could handle that weight of outboard by myself. 20hp Suzuki 4-stroke it is. Second hand 25hp 2-strokes don't seem to be available round here.

I'm still leaning towards a Futura Mk3 as it is only 9kg heavier than the Mk2c and 6kg heavier than the Mk2.

Maybe a stupid question, but I guess the Mk3 will be heavier when filled with air than the Mk2 due to the greater capacity of the tubes i.e. more than the 6kg advertised by Zodiac? Does that make much difference?

I was thinking about maybe getting one of those side loading roof racks such as the ones on the Kari-Tek website. I have asked them whether their roof rack could handle a 80kg 2m wide load but as yet no response.
Old 28 August 2014, 16:50   #8

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Zodiac Futura Mk3?

Quote:
I tried lifting 65kg (the weight of a 25hp 4 stroke) in the gym yesterday and there is no way I could handle that weight of outboard by myself. 20hp Suzuki 4-stroke it is.

I doubt you will be disappointed with the Suzuki. Got mine last year, and although too early to comment on long term reliability, so far has performed faultlessly. Good economy and instant starting thanks to EFI.
Although much smaller boats, we run ours on both 350 and 380 sibs and will do 24mph two up and 21mph two up towing a kneeboard.
At 44kg I can just manhandle it solo from trolley to transom but wouldn't fancy anything heavier. The new 25hp at 62kg is great but not really portable solo for me. At 18kg heavier the extra 5hp might not provide that much of a performance gain anyway - now the 30hp at the same weight may be a different story!😎
For regularly going 2-3 miles offshore I would go for the biggest boat I could manhandle/afford.
Old 29 August 2014, 02:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
I doubt you will be disappointed with the Suzuki. ... Good economy and instant starting thanks to EFI.
EFI on a 20hp? I should have bought a Suzuki!
Old 29 August 2014, 02:15   #10

Quote:
Maybe a stupid question, but I guess the Mk3 will be heavier when filled with air than the Mk2 due to the greater capacity of the tubes i.e. more than the 6kg advertised by Zodiac? Does that make much difference?
The air in the tubes won't add any weight, if that's what you're asking.

I think that putting the boat on top of a vehicle will be a hassle, but less of a hassle than assembling it / filling it with air. Maybe someone else can comment on that (assuming it hasn't already been addressed in another thread).
Old 29 August 2014, 05:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill View Post
The air in the tubes won't add any weight, if that's what you're asking.
Not enough to matter or even be noticeable as Bill says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill View Post
I think that putting the boat on top of a vehicle will be a hassle, but less of a hassle than assembling it / filling it with air. Maybe someone else can comment on that (assuming it hasn't already been addressed in another thread).
Bill try picking your boat up and lifting it over your head. I know I couldn't do it to mine, even with a second person, assuming the floor boards were in place. An MK3 really belongs on a trailer.

My 65lb kayak is about all I comfortably like to lift onto my roof racks, so a 200lb boat is definitely out.
Old 08 November 2014, 15:32   #12
mrr

Make: XS ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: mercury F 150hp
Quote:
Seriously considering buying a Zodiac Futura Mk 3 with inflatable deck and either a 20hp (44kg) or 25hp (62kg) Suzuki outboard.

Questions I have are:
1. How does the Futura mk3 compare to something like the smaller and less expensive Bombard Aerotec 380 in terms of sea worthiness/ride?
2. Does the additional 40cm on the Futura mk3 over the mk2 give you any benefit in terms of sea worthiness in this type of boat? The Mk3 is only 6kg heavier so other than price what is the disadvantge?
Did you end up buying the Mk3?
Which outboard? the 20hp or the 25hp suzuki?
I am in the same position, considering a 30 hp (70 kg)evinrude against the 25hp suzuki (63kg). The 20 hp is probably not strong enough for less than perfect sea conditions. Putting a 25hp/30/hp on an outboard trolly might be the way to handle such a heavy engine. What is your experience so far?
Old 08 November 2014, 16:28   #13

I opted for a mk2 as thought a 20hp would be more suited to it. Also slightly smaller and lighter so easier to handle. I ordered the boat from Ron Hale marine and paid deposit in early Sept, but as yet no boat. Apparently none in stock and the Zodiac factory needed to manufacture the inflatable decks. Going to chase up next week and if no joy will probably ask for deposit back and go back to the drawing board!
Old 11 November 2014, 14:35   #14

Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr View Post
I am in the same position, considering a 30 hp (70 kg)evinrude against the 25hp suzuki (63kg). The 20 hp is probably not strong enough for less than perfect sea conditions. Putting a 25hp/30/hp on an outboard trolly might be the way to handle such a heavy engine. What is your experience so far?
Not sure if I can help. Was debating between a 20 or 25hp. Chose the 20hp manual start 4-stroke Mercury because I found a great deal on a newer model and the lesser weight/size. Although I'm able to pick it up myself, it is cumbersome and I can easily see dropping it or damaging something. I built a mobile stand which helped a lot. My wife helps and even though it's not heavy for two, it's still awkward and I worry some times of sitting it down too hard or dropping it. I'm glad we didn't get the 25hp. It will have to be seriously lacking in power for us to consider anything bigger.
Old 11 November 2014, 15:45   #15

McBain, did they offer any kind of launching wheels for the MKII? No need for an outboard trolley if you can set the outboard on the boat and use it as a trolley with launching wheels.
Old 11 November 2014, 20:13   #16

Yes they offered Zodiac Futura launching wheels. They are also on back order! Just been told the boat arrived at their shop today and hopefully the launch wheels will be down in about 2 weeks so should have the whole lot in time for Christmas! Shame the weather is so rubbish now though!
Old 30 December 2014, 21:03   #17
mrr

Make: XS ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: mercury F 150hp
furura MK2 and 20 HP performance

Quote:
should have the whole lot in time for Christmas! Shame the weather is so rubbish now though!
Could you keep me updated on your experience with the futura mk2 and your 20 hp mercury? Is that enough HP for going 3 miles offshore? Does the futura plane easily with the 20 hp and 2 people? How does the setup perform with 4 people? Do you know your top-speed? Thanks a lot!
Old 05 January 2015, 20:04   #18

Hi, got the boat now. Seems extremely sturdy and well built. High pressure deck is quite hard to fit. Will probably take an hour to setup including transom wheels and outboard. Wheels are genuine zodiac but don't fold up, you just need to detach them completely. That may be difficult. I was surprised that inflation tubes and hull only inflate to about 0.3 bar. Deck inflates to 0.8 bar. Got an electric pump which is easier.

Boat seems pretty light to move about with wheels on in drive. Will not be so easy with outboard and fuel and anchor and soft sand!

Next move is to get outboard and decide whether I need a trailer and if so box or launch. Ideally would inflate each time out, but realize that will get quickly tedious.

No hurry at moment as weather is rubbish. Keeping my eye out for 25hp 2 stroke but rare and think new 20hp 4 stroke will be much more reliable. Powerful enough? Will keep you posted.
Old 06 January 2015, 11:42   #19

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Engine: Parsun 15hp
Hi McBain
I am pleased you got your boat and wheels sorted but I am confused about the time you estimate it will take to get ready. If the air floor is left in the boat when you deflate, a good pump such as a Bravo should pump the complete boat up at the set pressures in about 10mins. These pumps will also deflate the entire boat in even less time.

Phil
Old 06 January 2015, 17:16   #20

You will get the boat assembly down to a science eventually.

Getting a trailer or not should determine the size of the outboard. Having recommended horse power is a good thing, but that means heavy. Since you have an airfloor stick with a light motor and keep the boat foldable.