Old 18 July 2018, 07:37   #1

Town: Huddersfield
Boat name: Ellphie
Make: Zodiac Futura
Length: 4m +
Engine: OB 30hp 2St
Zodiac futura mk II engine size

Hello all, earlier this summer bought my first boat.... a Zodiac Futura Mark 2 Fast roller with a 30hp Yamaha 2 stroke. It is great fun, fast and I love it!!
My question is:
We have kneeboarded with no problems at all, but trying to wakeboard, it just about got me out of the water (2 others in the boat) - does anyone have any thoughts or experience on whether it would make a difference to move up to 40hp or 50hp (max for Mark II Futura).
I deflate the board and stick the engine in the boot of my car. I can manhandle the 30hp by myself (just)
What would the weight penalty be? and would this (as no centre console only tiller) be adverse to the general boat handling.

Any advise appreciated....
Thanks
Old 18 July 2018, 08:21   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I used to have a Yamaha 25hp 2-stroke (model 25D) on a Zodiac MK IICGT. It shares the same block as the 30hp and I did the same as you and built the boat on a slip. I also had Yamaha 40hp (probably one of the best engines ever produced), but it's a different beast altogether. 3-cylinder and a fair bit heavier at 72kg. That was on a Zodiac 7-man Pro RIB, so trailered.

I've seen people manual handle 40hp engines before, but I wouldn't recommend. It would be possible to get a Yamaha 40hp (model 40V) with tiller (it's a substantial tiller by the way) compared to the 25hp. The 40hp was autolube, manual start and tilt. If you do move up, then think about a bunked trailer instead of building.

Yamaha 50hp, in 2-stroke guise, it shares the same block as the 40hp. Model 50G, favoured by commercial fisherman and nigh impossible to source second hand.
Old 18 July 2018, 09:40   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
spartacus is right the 40 is a lump unless you do it with a sack barrow, the gurnard on here uses one for his 25 mariner he's got it down to a fine art the only lifting is when he puts it down on the floor and reverse putting it back in, it rests in the boot so he's not lifting/lowering the whole engine
Old 18 July 2018, 12:41   #4

Town: kansas city
You gotta ask yourself, is the juice worth the squeeze? I have a zodiac mk2 with a 40hp johnson, and i use my ceiling mounted winch to lift it off. I couldn't imagine manhandling it, even with a buddy.

If you want to go the route of getting a trailer and leaving the motor semi-permanently attached, then jump up to a 40/50hp.

But if you plan on inflating/deflating before each time, i would stick with your 30hp.
Old 18 July 2018, 22:47   #5

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
4meter Avon w/30hp

I owned an 1985 Avon Spitfire 13’ with a 30 hp. We had a sm surfboard with bindings attached. It worked with driver only.
Now that I’ve owned many different boats I know the power produced by getting a smaller pitch prop.
Now I have a mk2 aluminum floor. When I got it I bought a used 40 hp 4 stroke. It was a disappointment. Now I have an etec 60 hp. Same engine as etec 40,50, 60hp. Just different software. I love it now. But I build it at home using an hoist to put the boat on the trailer and then engine on.
The trailer folds up for storage.
Old 19 July 2018, 16:24   #6

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
You could try a prop with less pitch, will give faster acceleration with lower top speed, or even a stainless prop which will help all round
Old 19 July 2018, 16:42   #7

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflhat View Post
You could try a prop with less pitch, will give faster acceleration with lower top speed, or even a stainless prop which will help all round
Roflhat is right. A prop change is the cheapest change to improve hole shot. I recommend buying a used aluminum prop perhaps 4 pitch lower. If your lucky it will do the trick. If still not right you will have the info on what size is right. Then flip the wrong prop on eBay.
I found a ProPulse adjustable pitch prop that has 7 different pitch options. It works and is a 4 blade. 4 blades are slower but tend to get you on plane a bit faster.
I change to the lower pitch when the toy pulling starts but still do the run down river with the higher pitch prop.
My ProPulse prop (new) was $99. Usd on eBay a great way to try different pitches.
Old 20 July 2018, 13:34   #8

Town: Huddersfield
Boat name: Ellphie
Make: Zodiac Futura
Engine: OB 30hp 2St
Thanks for the advise. I will look at some other props and see if that makes a difference.
Towing / trailering is not straight forward as we pop the boat in the caravan and bought the SIB so we were not taking 2 cars.

May have some questions on pitch etc of the props later - but will do some reading first!

Cheers
Old 20 July 2018, 13:59   #9

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
talk to steel developments they will advise on a suitable prop for boarding a stainless prop will give 5% more on its own they told me worth a call

Tags
zodiac