Old 31 August 2011, 10:14   #1

Town: wodonga
Boat name: rammbo
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: johnson 35 2 stroke
zodiac futura 1997 m2 keel

Just wondering if any futura owners hav packed out in between the aluminium floor and floormaterial just behind the bottom of the transum ,on mine the bottom of the transum hangs down about 40 mm which must b causing drag .also do i pump the keel up rock hard?
Old 31 August 2011, 14:47   #2

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
I haven't done anything at that spot. The transom does extend lower than the aluminum floor, but the inflated keel tube helps keep the floor material relatively at the same plane as the transom lower edge. Might induce some drag, but with the speed tubes and all of the air and turbulent water flowing under the boat it doesn't appear to be a significant issue, I think?

I pump up my keel tube as hard as I can with my foot pump.

Since I beach launch a lot I do take the time to flush out the speed tube casing when I can. The speed tubes will last longer if you keep sand and small rocks out of the casing.

Old 31 August 2011, 22:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelson View Post
I haven't done anything at that spot. The transom does extend lower than the aluminum floor, but the inflated keel tube helps keep the floor material relatively at the same plane as the transom lower edge. Might induce some drag, but with the speed tubes and all of the air and turbulent water flowing under the boat it doesn't appear to be a significant issue, I think?

I pump up my keel tube as hard as I can with my foot pump.

Since I beach launch a lot I do take the time to flush out the speed tube casing when I can. The speed tubes will last longer if you keep sand and small rocks out of the casing.

i run a 10x15 prop on mine does that sound ok for a 35.
Old 02 September 2011, 15:23   #4

I have a Nissan 40 d three cylinder on my on my futura. I run with a four bladed adjustable composite prop from Pro pulse. It is 10 3/8" and I have it set at a pitch of 16 for water starts. I adjust it to less pitch for normal cruising. Hard to say what exactly you will find the best, it depends on the outboard and the load you are carrying. Ideally, you would run up to WOT and check your rpm. Your rpm at WOT should be in the range specified by the manufacturer of the ouboard for proper performance. I increase my pitch to get a good hole shot but my top speed suffers a bit.
Old 02 September 2011, 20:23   #5

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I just installed a Tiny Tach to be able to get an RPM reading. Hoping to get my prop situation dialed in, although often the boat is heavily loaded. I have never used and adjustable prop so I will take a look at one. Probably just going to replace mine with another aluminum one though since they are cheap.
Old 14 September 2011, 03:03   #6

Ok i hav solved all my keel and handling probs the dope who owned the boat before me didnt fit the alum floor correctly he didnt slot it in at the transum he put it on top and this caused all sorts of weird boat behavior.
Old 15 January 2012, 18:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammbo
Ok i hav solved all my keel and handling probs the dope who owned the boat before me didnt fit the alum floor correctly he didnt slot it in at the transum he put it on top and this caused all sorts of weird boat behavior.
I think I might have the same problem as mine sits on top I didn't realise it slots in.

If you have any other good advice it would be more than welcome as i now own the same rib here is my email if you have any more advice mrjcollins46524@gmail.com

Many thanks

Jay
Old 15 January 2012, 19:43   #8

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Tell me about this Tiny Tach....any pics?
Old 15 January 2012, 20:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p
Tell me about this Tiny Tach....any pics?
Hi haven't any pics but I know he has sat it on top because there are 2 screws holding it to the transom

Amongst other nasty things which has been done that I'm trying to get sorted.

If I say speed tubes I'm sure you'll guess the rest .......... Cringe cringe cringe

Some people

Cheers mister p but if you have any other info concerning zodiac futura I would appreciate it

Or maybe how I cam improve my trailer as it don't seem right for that rib

Cheers

Jay
Old 16 January 2012, 06:49   #10

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
You can google Tiny Tach. It is just a small tachometer/hour meter. They work okay. I mounted mine on the tiller handle with double stick tape. Probably going to make an angled mount for it at some point since I always sit on the starboard side. Pretty basic device.
Old 17 January 2012, 04:37   #11

Town: oregon
Length: 3m +
Engine: M40C
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelson View Post
I have a Nissan 40 d three cylinder on my on my futura. I run with a four bladed adjustable composite prop from Pro pulse. It is 10 3/8" and I have it set at a pitch of 16 for water starts. I adjust it to less pitch for normal cruising. Hard to say what exactly you will find the best, it depends on the outboard and the load you are carrying. Ideally, you would run up to WOT and check your rpm. Your rpm at WOT should be in the range specified by the manufacturer of the ouboard for proper performance. I increase my pitch to get a good hole shot but my top speed suffers a bit.
How long have you used the pro pulse? How do you like it?
Old 17 January 2012, 15:06   #12

I have had the pro pulse prop for years (I'm guessing 4 maybe 5). The best part was that it made it easy to change pitch and find the right pitch for my set up. I did not have access to enough fixed pitch props to swap them in and out and find my ideal pitch. The OEM prop that came with the outboard was not right for use with my inflatable. I do think the four bladed prop gives me a better hole shot. The plastic blades do break off if you hit something hard which protects your lower unit components. That is also the big down side. If I'm running in areas that have shallow depths and obstructions I'll pop my old three blade metal prop on as it will withstand more abuse (a good idea in estuaries in Mexico). I also have to be careful drifting while fishing in narrow rock slots at places like lake powell. Bumping into the sides while the motor is off could still damage the plastic prop blades. I carry a few extra blades and they aren't hard to change out. The prop will run at lower speeds with just two blades (ya live, you learn and once was enough). All said I like the product for my normal bay and ocean runs, really prefer it for towing wakeboarders and hydrofoilers, appreciated that the pitch could be adjusted as my boat set up and load changed, but it might not be the best choice if you are going to be scrubbing the bottom under power. I have had no problem beaching, but I haven't forgot to tilt up my outboard yet