Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 August 2012, 19:38   #1
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: New Jersey
Make: Amphibian 249
Length: 7m +
Engine: twin 250hp Yamaha
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 177
Zodiac fc470 intercommunication valve not sealing off chambers

Hi all,

I just picked up an fc470 and I am having trouble figuring out the ic valve settings. I have researched it plenty, however I cannot figure out the problem. My whole boat inflates and deflates through any single valve, no matter how I have the others set. If I have all of the other valves at 6 o'clock (supposed to be sealed off) they will not leak air out of themselves, but will still allow air to pass between all chambers freely. Am I missing something, could all the valves need rebuilding, or could the internal baffles be bad??

Not that it matters for this problem, but one of the valves is frozen in the "fill" position and I plan on lubricating it soon. All of the others rotate fine, and when at the 6 o'clock position, they seal off and don't let air out.


Thanks
Sean
__________________

__________________
95gstnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2012, 22:20   #2
Member
 
Lincoln Charlie's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Ellenton, FL
Boat name: FC-470
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: 55h Johnson Enforcer
MMSI: 338118943
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 53
Send a message via AIM to Lincoln Charlie
Yes, 12 O'clock is all valves communicating i.e.; able to fill entire boat from any single valve. 6 O'clock is all valves independent of each other. However they can be changed when taken apart & reassembled so it's important to ensure they are in the correct position when reassembling. That may be the problem with yours. I actually had one upside down when I bought mine. It was easily remedied.
__________________

__________________
"The FC-470 can be used for over-the-horizon transportation, inserting lightly armed raiding parties or reconnaissance teams onto beaches, piers, offshore facilities and larger vessels."
Lincoln Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2013, 02:50   #3
Member
 
Troy's Avatar
 
Country: Australia
Boat name: SEAL
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Steyr 260Hp
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Charlie View Post
Yes, 12 O'clock is all valves communicating i.e.; able to fill entire boat from any single valve. 6 O'clock is all valves independent of each other. However they can be changed when taken apart & reassembled so it's important to ensure they are in the correct position when reassembling. That may be the problem with yours. I actually had one upside down when I bought mine. It was easily remedied.
Hi, I'm struggling with my Mk4 valves. Do you have a reference site that might help?
Thanks,
Troy
__________________
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 13:51   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 131
Zodiac FC470 IC Valves

Hi there,
There may be a slightly more worrying source. If the zodiac is ex military they are / were usually filled up from a scuba cylinder / rapid inflate system. If the the IC valves are in the isolated chambers position and the rapid inflate cylinder is used to blow up the boat it can burst the chamber baffles. The boat will fill and operate fine until you get a leak then it becomes a problem.

I used to check them by blowing up the boat and removing one valve while turning the isolation bezel. if its working you should be able to hear and feel as one chamber is sealed off.

Hope that is of some use

Pete
__________________
sinkingpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 14:02   #5
Member
 
Lincoln Charlie's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Ellenton, FL
Boat name: FC-470
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: 55h Johnson Enforcer
MMSI: 338118943
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 53
Send a message via AIM to Lincoln Charlie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
Hi, I'm struggling with my Mk4 valves. Do you have a reference site that might help?
Thanks,
Troy

Unfortunately no, there isn't any available support I know of. I would put all valves at 12 o'clock (the isolated position) then hand/foot pump each one. If you notice a chamber next to it inflating turn the valve you're inflating to six o'clock to see if that isolates it. If so it's merely upside down. You can unscrew the valve and use a socket to take it apart and reassemble in the correct position. Go through the whole boat like this until they're all correct.
__________________
"The FC-470 can be used for over-the-horizon transportation, inserting lightly armed raiding parties or reconnaissance teams onto beaches, piers, offshore facilities and larger vessels."
Lincoln Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 14:03   #6
Member
 
Lincoln Charlie's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Ellenton, FL
Boat name: FC-470
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: 55h Johnson Enforcer
MMSI: 338118943
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 53
Send a message via AIM to Lincoln Charlie
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkingpete View Post
Hi there,
There may be a slightly more worrying source. If the zodiac is ex military they are / were usually filled up from a scuba cylinder / rapid inflate system. If the the IC valves are in the isolated chambers position and the rapid inflate cylinder is used to blow up the boat it can burst the chamber baffles. The boat will fill and operate fine until you get a leak then it becomes a problem.

I used to check them by blowing up the boat and removing one valve while turning the isolation bezel. if its working you should be able to hear and feel as one chamber is sealed off.

Hope that is of some use

Pete
Absolutely correct. It is imperative to confirm correct IC valve positioning and function prior to utilizing any sort of rapid inflation system.
__________________

__________________
"The FC-470 can be used for over-the-horizon transportation, inserting lightly armed raiding parties or reconnaissance teams onto beaches, piers, offshore facilities and larger vessels."
Lincoln Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.