Old 13 September 2011, 13:02   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Zodiac Classic/Touring S

Anyone here currently using a Zodiac Classic from the past 10yrs? I think they were called a Touring S then renamed Classic in the mid 2000s.

I'm meaning the later PVC ones like this...

http://inflatableboats.com/images/zo...classic-hd.JPG

... not the older hypalon types.
Old 13 September 2011, 13:48   #2

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
I have a MK2C classic which is 1 year old, cant fault it, much prefer it to the Bombard aerotec I had before, only thing I prefered about the Bombard is it is faster to inflate.
Old 13 September 2011, 15:22   #3

Really interesting... I looked at your past posts to see if there was a photo of your Classic and see you had a Honwave with 15hp and very quickly replaced with a Bombard 380 and now it seems the Classic?

How did the build quality vary from Honda to Aerotec and the Classic? Do you use the 15 or 25hp with the Classic?
Old 13 September 2011, 16:15   #4

The deal for the Honwave never happened, but after looking at them I prefered the build quality of the Bombard so probably a blessing in disguise I think.
I would say the build quality of the Classic is slightly better than the Bombard, I got the classic with the metal floorboards so it is also around 35 kg heavier than the Bombard.
I used the 15hp on the Bombard, it was ok but not a patch on the 25hp, but when I am loading and unloading the 25hp in and out of the car thats when I wish I still had the 15hp.
I have only ever used the 25hp on the classic and it goes really well, I was also up the West coast of Scotland with the Classic and launched at Kyle of Lochalsh and done a bit of touring around to Plockton and down passed Kylerhea, it blew up a bit but the classic handled it no problem.
Old 14 September 2011, 07:02   #5

Thanks... there is a dealer with some wicked autumn prices on the Classic at the moment hence my question. How do you get on with floorboards when assembling daily? I've had a very old Zodiac with wooden floorboards and these were no trouble but I've heard the alloy channel stringers are harder?

Did you buy some of the very expensive Zodiac rail system seats? Seems there was one included standard a couple of years ago but now you don't get one at all.

I wonder why you preferred the Classic overall to the Bombard?
Old 14 September 2011, 21:01   #6

I wouldn't even try and inflate and deflate it daily, far too much of a pain, the metal floorboards and metal stringers are not the easiest to put in, I have an indespension trailer I use with it.
The only time I deflate it is when I take the caravan away and the Zodiac at the same time, but then it will only be inflated and deflated once as the sites I use are next to water.
I didnt bother with the seats as I think they take up too much space, I use waterproof cusions made to measure.
I prefer the Classic as its better built and I dont trust the airdecks, I had to get a new floor under warrenty after the boat had been out once as there were a few leaks coming from the rear corner.
Saying that though if I had no choice but to inflate and deflate everyday it would be an airdeck for sure.
Old 14 September 2011, 22:04   #7

>>>I had to get a new floor under warrenty after the boat had been out once as there were a few leaks coming from the rear corner.

Was that the Bombard?

Regarding the daily assembly it does seem from previous threads I'm one of the few people who really doesn't mind doing this even with a hard floor. If it's what it takes to get me out on the water then so be it.

Just found my supposed "wicked deal" was a mistake and by the time I've added at least one seat to a Classic I'd have to chip in £800 to the refund cheque I already have for the Fastroller. I'm really not sure if I can see the Mk.I Classic being worth three Honwaves T35 given they have very similar dimensions and I'm sure would perform in a similar way.

Food for thought.