Old 15 November 2015, 16:37   #1
Town: Melbourne
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25hp Merc
Zodiac Classic 4.2 Front Bow Digging into Hull

Hi all

I recently purchased a 2005 Zodiac Classic and noticed something under the front bow panel was digging in to the hull material (wearing it out). I pulled it all apart to clean / repaint the floor and found that the front section had been installed upside down (i.e. the little star sticker thing was facing down) because of this the aluminum groove that the second bow section slots into was sticking out by about 2mm.

I reinforced the two worn out bits with some PVC patches and adhesive and painted the floor panels with some kiwigrip and put the whole thing back together (surprisingly difficult). I inflated it enough to put back onto the trailer and low and behold the front bow section is STILL digging into the hull.

Any idea what is going wrong? Its almost like the two front bow sections are dipping in the middle. Just want to take it out on the water

blackers_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2015, 11:51   #2
Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp ETEC
First step would be to confirm that tubes and keel are all inflated to proper pressure.

cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 05:13   #3
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
I wonder if there is a chance this has been fitted with a replacement or incorrect board?

A photo would help loads to understand the problem.
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 08:05   #4
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 100hp
If there is movement of the boards, either the floorboard grip is not correct, or the tubeset is underinflated.

Floorboard grip is dictated by the distance between the transom and the bow joint. If you measure the tube fully inflated, then measure the floorboards outside the boat, the floorboards should be about 15mm longer than the boat inside measurement. If it is equal to, or shorter than, likely, one of the joints has stretched or it is beginning to unglue and lose tension.

If it is underinflation, simply top the boat off to the recommend 240 millibar. This must be done after the boat has sat in the water, and the cool water has cooled the air charge inside the tubes.
Gluing geek since 2007
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote