Old 26 October 2009, 18:50   #1

Town: Gateshead
Boat name: Confirmative Jim
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Rude 35
Zodiac air pressure gauge

Good evening everyone. Does anyone have or know where I might find an original Zodiac air pressure gauge for my 1978 mkII? I know its probably a long shot. Do these gauges screw into the valve? Thanks in advance.

Adam
Old 26 October 2009, 20:56   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
No, this gauge does not screw into the valve, it's a push (to read) and pull gauge, does not have a reading needle as other brand gauges, the interior besel moves instead showing presure colors, fixel needle must be in middle green color. Contact a Zodiac dealer, no other gauge will fit, a little expensive though.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac Gauge.JPG
Views:	846
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	47153  
Old 28 October 2009, 09:57   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Adam,

I'm wondering if your Zodiac is near enough in age to mine to have the same Delrin valves like this...

If so here is my pressure gauge with its original pot...

And here it is screwed on...

It has a good seal to the valve so can be left on in running if you want... I don't though.

You can see the range in the green zone is 160-240mb which equates to 2.32-3.48psi. I find you have to think ahead a bit with the pressure as the boat cools when put in the water so the pressure drops a bit after first inflation on land.... worse of all if you drag it up a hot beach in 32degC and leave for a few hours it can go overpressure and I know two folks who have had seams split in this circumstance.

This supplier shows the different valve types and also have two pressure gauges for under £20... but as far as I can see they don't supply the old type like mine...

http://www.seamarknunn.com/acatalog/...lveSpares.html

My boat came with a gauge but it was seized so after looking for ages I managed to find another on Ebay for about £25.

David
Old 28 October 2009, 11:56   #4

Thanks for the response. I think my valves are the same delrin type as yours David, is that gauge the same as the one locozodiac posted up, a push in type? I think my only hope may be the dealer and they'll probably have my eyes out! Don't like the prospect of inflating without knowing the exact pressure though.

Adam
Old 28 October 2009, 12:52   #5

No that push in one is for a later type of valve I guess?? Mine has a thread in the back so it screws properly onto the valve in place of the cap.

Once you know the right pressure it is quite easy to judge by the sound when you flick the tube... bit like a fairly taught drum sound when at correct max pressure.

David
Old 28 October 2009, 16:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmiffy View Post
Thanks for the response. I think my valves are the same delrin type as yours David, is that gauge the same as the one locozodiac posted up, a push in type? I think my only hope may be the dealer and they'll probably have my eyes out! Don't like the prospect of inflating without knowing the exact pressure though.

Adam
Fenlander's Zodiac gauge is an old model, difficult to find, the yellow model is the new delrin flap gauge plastic version, what you can do, buy the spare gauge IB501038 only from the mentioned web page and make yourself a push/pull valve adapter to screw to gauge thread to fit Zodiac valve. If to make the adapter is a big issue, buy original zodiac gauge. We are presently changing all factory screw type halkey roberts valve adapters that comes screwed to our gauges for push/pull adapters that are far more easy & precise to read.

It's virtually impossible for anyone who has not inflated a sib with a gauge to 3.5 psi and has flexed cone ends so to hear tuned taught drum sound to achieve even near correct working presure in all sib chambers, this cavern method is being passed from siber to siber to siber, stop stupid experimentation inflation prcedures, go for a gauge, this issue is exact science if you want best engine /sib performance.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pressure Gauge.JPG
Views:	1758
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	47215   Click image for larger version

Name:	High Altitude.JPG
Views:	939
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	47216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gauges.JPG
Views:	788
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	47217  
Old 31 October 2009, 11:35   #7

Locozodiac.

I know you give good advice here so I'm OK with your critical comments but I'll explain more what I mean...

First it isn't that my gauge is an old one... it's the correct one for the boat... it's our boats that are old!

Second regarding tapping the boat and judging pressure from the noise. I agree fully that I would never operate an inflatable unless I had a gauge to check it was correctly inflated. I put the gauge on every day we use it and carry it when out in case I want to recheck in the day.

What I will say is having used the gauge to get it correct when you first start out the tapping/drum noise is a good indication of when the boat has gone much higher or lower in pressure (due to hot sun or cold water) so you know you do need to get the gauge out and check properly again.

No-one passed this advice onto me... I worked it out myself after the first few days using our Zodiac.

Adam,

If you did want to try and adapt a more modern gauge to fit I guess the only way to get something on the unique valve thread would be to buy a spare valve cap, drill a hole in it and work out some way of fixing the "incorrect" gauge in the hole.

What sort of pump do you have... the original Zodiac bellows?

David
Old 31 October 2009, 13:49   #8

Hi David

The pump is a Bravo 10. Ive just found and inline gauge for this on ebay for £15:

http://wap.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItem...0gauge&emvcc=0

Hopefully this may prove an easy fix!

Adam
Old 31 October 2009, 15:21   #9

Hola David,

Don't get me wrong, by old model I'm not saying won't work out, as long it's a well calibrated pressure gauge be my guest, have not seen one as yours locally, my second sib was a Zodiac 310 and came with the yellow gauge and starting to use lots of gauges with different sib sizes since. Personally think that is a must have issue, there are a lot of Ribnetters who think different and that's their issue, The point is, if you have not use one to experiment it's benefits, don't recommend not to use one specially if you are a newby, begin sibbing correctly. You'll have best sib/engine performance, transom will hold longer on tubes, floors will suffer less stress, specially aluminum ones, so does seams and glued parts.

The drum like issue won't work on thicker fabrics, at 3.5 psi will hardly bend end cones, can work well work on thin standard pvc or hypalon fabrics if you previously have gauged the sib at correct working pressure to test/compare.

Zodiac delrin valves are very sensible releasing air, will have my doubts if placing any gauge brand different on Zodiac's spare top cap will read, the rubber pin is very soft and will bend while pushing that gauge agains it. If it will be too much trouble buying a spare top cap and a gauge that finally won't work as expected, buy the original one, will save you time, money and frustration.

The tube drum inflation issue have heard it in many countries, even down here, those same local sibbers were surprised on how well their sib/engines performed after having taken out my guage for a correct re inflation procedure. It has worked correctly for you bacause have previoulsly inflated your sib with a gauge and that's a good start. Was criticizing the guys that recommends drum like inflation procedures, but have not used a gauge ever to compare pressure vrs noise.

The ideal would be to set a country/environment pattern, as an example, local parameters, winter (14º) sib is inflated to 3.5 psi, will lose about 1/4 psi, in summer (25º) to 3.0 psi, in plain sun will give 3.5/3.8 psi with sib always on water. The morning inflation is done in a shaded garage and sib is not re checked while in use, after day's use, goes to it's garage with same left pressure and it's re checked again on next outting. Ideal, don't go under 3.0 psi or over 4.00 psi. New sibs are tested at 4/5 psi at the factory for 24 hours so working for some hours at 4.00 momentaryly is no big danger to sib. This data will probably work only fine down here, so make a test pattern according to your environment and water temperature as I'm not the weather man to give precise world advise.

Bravo 10 pump, if it's the model that comes attached with a guage, it's useless, the gauge will only read while inflating with extreme needle hesitation, you need a pump that reads while air valve is kept open by hose adapter to achieve a exact psi reading, buy a spare hand gauge.

Happy Sibbing
Old 31 October 2009, 15:25   #10

Adam,

Yes that will be good for sorting the inflation pressure. It is useful if you could ever find one to get an original gauge for carrying with you for a quick recheck in the middle of the day without faffing about with the pump.

Locozodiac,

Thanks... I think we are working along the same idea... just putting it differently.

David
Old 31 October 2009, 15:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Adam,

Locozodiac, Thanks... I think we are working along the same idea... just putting it differently.

David
David, you are welcome, nice to see you are a big pressure gauge fan, as myself, it's the only way to go/sib right.

Happy Sibbing
Old 02 November 2009, 11:37   #12

Thanks for the responses. In the short term I have gone for the Bravo inline gauge until I find an original Zodiac unit. Hopefully this will allow me to get reasonably accurate reading, its got to be more accurate than guessing. Still haven't been out on new sib, first opportunity was Sunday and it blew a bloody gale!
Old 02 November 2009, 20:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmiffy View Post
In the short term I have gone for the Bravo inline gauge until I find an original Zodiac unit. Hopefully this will allow me to get reasonably accurate reading, its got to be more accurate than guessing.
If reading your gauge attached to pump is not that accurate while pumping downward, remove the gauge from upper pump, drill a hole on spare valve cap that matches intake valve thread diameter, screw cap on valve, down screw the gauge untill you have a good reading, cracy glue the thread on that position on both sides of cap.

One problem you might encounter, the valve pin is much thinner than gauge hole entrance, so there will be no pin valve activation, if remember correctly, the original gauge adapter has a cone type entrance that slight pushes the valve pin when pushed.

Have removed my Bravo 10 gauge and made a Halkey Roberts valve adapter with flexible car hose, this valve has a thick central spring pin easy to push, now have a simple & precise easy to read inside & outside sib gauge. Seal the hole If removing gauge from pump.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bravo 10  Gauge.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	47313