Old 19 March 2018, 19:08   #21

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanOfZHT View Post
Serie 3636 might be a combination of Hypalon and PVC. Early Futura boats, from Zodiac's recreational division, played with PVC fabric for a few years before making a complete change to PVC (Strongan) fabrics. Milpro's Futura hulls (F/FC and HD) only used Hypalon (CSM) fabrics until recently.
About 8 years ago the US Navy (incl. USMC) rebid the supply contract and required polyurethane fabric, so today Zodiac Milpro offers the F470 in both "PU" or CSM. (BTW, Wing Infl. won the contract and today is the primary supplier of the current CRRC (combat rubber raiding craft).
It probably is a "hybrid" model, especially if he had to reglue the transom. PVC attachments on CSM/NEO tubes, on the transom, floor, d-rings, etc.

The bad news, is if he used polychloroprene glue to readhere it, his new transom is going to fall out in about a year because it's not compatible with the plasticizers in the PVC. Polyurethane adhesive must be used in conjunction with a halogenation primer.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 19:58   #22

Town: Alaska
Length: 4m +
Zodiac 470 first run problems

The floor is PVC and tubes are hypalon, I used 3m 5200 black to glue in the new transom. It is next to impossible to get the right hypalon glue because of the island in Alaska I am on not paying $100 in freight for a $100 boat. The original transom was rotten in the bottom.
Old 19 March 2018, 20:01   #23

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbacklash View Post
The floor is PVC and tubes are hypalon, I used 3m 5200 black to glue in the new transom. It is next to impossible to get the right hypalon glue because of the island in Alaska I am on not paying $100 in freight for a $100 boat.
3M 5200 is not plasticizer resistant. The oils in the material will attack it, causing the fixtures to de-bond.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 21:32   #24

Oh well if it fails it will be the first time I have seen it fail in a marine application. What will it fail on the pvc or hypalon?
Old 19 March 2018, 22:29   #25

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Zodiac 470 first run problems

Glueing. . . PVC and HYPERLON. Tubes are either pvc or HYPERLON, however almost all fittings such as oar mounts, the transom mount etc are ALL pvc. Pvc and HYPERLON glues are totally different and neither will glue either together however glue will stick to glue, so to glue pvc to HYPERLON you need to apply a layer of pvc glue to the pvc apply a layer of HYPERLON glue to the HYPERLON allow both to dry then glue both together with pvc glue thus you are glueing glue to glue. Fitting a new transom that is most likely either painted or varnished will only work by using pvc glue because HYPERLON glue is for HYPERLON material (rubber) only, the chemicals in paint and varnish are pvc based. To expand this rule of water, plastic and rubber based glues, Try to imagine a repair to a push bike inner tube with a repair patch glued by a pritt-stick or wood glue, it won't work! But wood glue will repair a wooden boat where pvc or rubber based glue would not!
Old 20 March 2018, 09:16   #26

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1 View Post
Glueing. . . PVC and HYPERLON. Tubes are either pvc or HYPERLON, however almost all fittings such as oar mounts, the transom mount etc are ALL pvc. Pvc and HYPERLON glues are totally different and neither will glue either together however glue will stick to glue, so to glue pvc to HYPERLON you need to apply a layer of pvc glue to the pvc apply a layer of HYPERLON glue to the HYPERLON allow both to dry then glue both together with pvc glue thus you are glueing glue to glue. Fitting a new transom that is most likely either painted or varnished will only work by using pvc glue because HYPERLON glue is for HYPERLON material (rubber) only, the chemicals in paint and varnish are pvc based. To expand this rule of water, plastic and rubber based glues, Try to imagine a repair to a push bike inner tube with a repair patch glued by a pritt-stick or wood glue, it won't work! But wood glue will repair a wooden boat where pvc or rubber based glue would not!

Is it the same glue for Hypalon as you use for HYPERLON ?[emoji848]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 12:13   #27

I love how he assumed it was glued to paint or varnish he must not have looked at the picture.

Tags
zodiac