Old 30 July 2017, 08:43   #1

Length: 3m +
Zodiac 340 FR vs 310s

I am soon gonna change my old Quicksilver 330 for one of the two.
Main reason besides being old and repaired now a few times is the WEIGHT since Quicksilver weights around 60kg (!)
I use boat few weeks per year in a house which is around 20 meters from the sea. Not far I know, but carrying down to the sea is not the easyest part, since I need to turn it around on a very narrow street.
I am goona use it with my Yamaha 15 2S, which is definitelly a keeper
And looking and comparing different SIBs, I come down to those 2 that can take 15 PS and still don't weight 2 much. 340FR only 36kg, and 310s 42kg, but being smaller and also quite narrower it might be even easier to carry.
Does someone have experience with both? Which do you think handles better in water?
I am leaning towards 310s, my only concern is that it might be a little small, since I am used to 330 now, but it might not be a huge difference (?)
Most of the time we are only 2 people in boat, but occasionally 3-4.
Old 30 July 2017, 09:29   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
At this size every few extra cm's are important so for the few occasions you will be 3-4 persons I'd get the 340.
Old 08 August 2017, 18:46   #3

Yeah I know, but for carrying around sideways - 310 would probably still be a better choice. My current 330 is just in between, I really hope 310 won't be too short:/

But my main interest was how to they handle on water? Which do you think handles better, cadet solid or inflatable acti-v one? By "handles" I mean sails through waves better
Old 12 August 2017, 23:02   #4

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by IseeU View Post
Yeah I know, but for carrying around sideways - 310 would probably still be a better choice. My current 330 is just in between, I really hope 310 won't be too short:/

But my main interest was how to they handle on water? Which do you think handles better, cadet solid or inflatable acti-v one? By "handles" I mean sails through waves better
A bigger boat will always be better on the water in terms of seaworthiness and dryness. Of course, for performance, the bigger boat may need a bigger engine, in which case you lose out on convenience and portability.

I have a Zodiac 310 Cadet and have taken it on the sea in calm-ish conditions with 2 adults and it was great.

A decent set of launch wheels will make a huge difference to handling it on shore. That and putting some thought into technique before moving it.

My previous boat was around 340 with fat tubes and I could carry it short distances solo. I am small, fairly skinny, and with very little upper body strength. It's all about finding the balance point.

Tags
zodiac