Town: Cardigan
Boat name: Poor Life Choices
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50HP Tohatsu 2 Strok
MMSI: 235085232
Zapcat Parts

Me again.

Usually google provides but this time i cant find anything.
I'm looking for certain things to fit to my boat but cant find anything online so hopefully someone is in the know.

First bit, the engine isn't a locking bracket so the engine doesn't stay down in reverse, guessing that's a weight saving thing but looking through the rules it must be fitted with a bungee tie down system that allows it to raise level with the highjackers, just wondering if anyone had any advice on rigging one of those? I wouldn't want to use something too strong in case of running aground and causing damage to the hull where the tie down's attached or to the engine skeg that looks like its already been welded back on once.
(image 1)

Second is a steering damper, mines not fitted with ones and the rules seemed pretty clear that you needed one, probably on safety grounds which may be a concern, though i don't plan on racing so remaining within rules isn't a priority but, if a steering damper is required for safety then i at least want to look into it!

Finally it's floorboards, are they readily available or is it a make it yourself from marine Ply jobbie, think mine are quite waterlogged, i'm pulling the padded floor up soon so will have a look at those at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	117004  
Old 09 November 2016, 19:10   #2

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
You want the engine to be able to tilt - in the tilt position on the lever if it's present. But you should run strong bungees around the leg. Putting them around the transom and leg is an easy way to do it. Should be photos in my thundercat thread on here, means if you hit anything in the water there's some give in the engine to stop breaking things. You want them quite tight, so that when you drop off the throttle suddenly the engine doesn't kick up.

You don't neccessarily need to run a steering damper, if it feels fine without one it probably is. If you need one you would know about it! Generally they're required when running if rough conditions, they help prevent the tiller snatching as the prop bites when re-entering. You can get all sorts of expensive ones, hydraulic are the most pricey and are good for long-haul racing. Friction dampers are cheaper and are used for surf racing, although either kind will do for general use. A cheap option which is favoured even amongst some of the fastest boats is to use a Mercedes steering damper, they're about £18 on ebay. Can't mind the part no. but it's from a 1980's Merc, although really any damper would do.

For the floor you can do it as cheaply or expensive as you like. Marine ply is fine, you'll want to waterproof them with something. I had some custom composite boards made up for mine, then I cut them to size and gel coated the cut sides. Waterlogging is a big problem, you realise it once you feel the weight differential between old and new boards!
They also start to flex a lot more than you want, especially around the corners.
Old 10 November 2016, 16:24   #3

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Think the dampers off a Mercedes 100
Old 10 November 2016, 18:27   #4

Town: Cardigan
Boat name: Poor Life Choices
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50HP Tohatsu 2 Strok
MMSI: 235085232
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm going to find out if this fits!?

Ordered some new coils and some electrical crimping stuff, not done any wiring before so this should be fun connecting all that up together!