Old 24 June 2015, 08:21   #21

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I need to correct that! I found another post on here I made last year and the figure was 5700 I think not 5200. Also forgot the rubber floor (pretty heavy stuff) at + 7.5kg.

I read a load of stuff on prop pitch and all the calcs to go through last night and Mercury's own prop calculator comes up with the same 9x9.

From what I understand I could go to a 10 pitch to increase top speed but that would lower pick up and bring me down to 5500.

Or maybe an 8 pitch to help pick up but that would lower top speed and raise RPM to 5900.

I want to raise top speed and pick up though which sadly I guess is unattainable in the same prop and the standard 9x9 is the compromise option?

I wonder if a stainless prop would offer any gains in this situation or going to a 4 blade which I gather lowers RPM by 100 or so due to the increased drag, although I guess SS props with thinner blades have less drag...?

Anyone?

I'll stick some links I found in below as they might be handy to anyone reading this topic in the future.

Choosing The Correct Propeller For Your Outboard | eBay

Understanding your Boat Propeller

Prop Basics, how propellers work

Understanding Propeller Pitch | Boating Magazine

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en-gb/...tor/#/step-one
Old 24 June 2015, 09:37   #22

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>From what I understand I could go to a 10 pitch to increase top speed but that would lower pick up and bring me down to 5500.

Now surely with a 10 (for example)... assuming your outfit/payload allows... you can either choose to allow it to still rev at 5700 with a higher speed... or keep to the same speed with lower revs???

If you are getting to 5700 on a 9 it seems a 10 may work for a better top end... only way to find out though is to spend and experiment!

My experience with other than Mercury own props has been poor... I sent a Solas one back as it ruined performance... different blade shape was obvious when held side by side... made a massive difference.

Stainless risk gearbox damage if you hit an object or rock as I understand it... which is why for sibbing in Scotland I'd not use one. Also I believe with stainless the pitch requirements change and it is very much trial and error so ideally you need to be able to borrow different props.
Old 24 June 2015, 11:24   #23

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Yep, stainless is a fortune anyway, pretty pointless probably on a little old 15 I guess.

I need to borrow a 8 and 10 pitch to try back to back to see the real world difference.
Old 24 June 2015, 11:47   #24

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Just a though. I've always had great service from Steel developments. How about seeing if they has a refurb in 8 or 10 pitch and asking if they would agree to take it back (assuming undamaged) for a handling fee if the pitch was found unsuitable??
Old 24 June 2015, 18:58   #25

Length: 10m +
Thanks for bringing this post back. You're right in that it has a lot of useful information and I had never seen it before.

I've been having a similar question as yours. I run a 20hp on a large boat with a little heavier load for our own reasons. I didn't have a tach so I don't know where we were at for WOT but we were able to do 14-16 mph with the standard Mercury 9.25x10 prop. Just by the sound of the engine I believe we have a lot of room to get up to the 5800-6100 range.

I got a tachometer which I just installed. Ran through a lot of various calcs and read as much as I could and settled on a 9 pitch prop. Bought a cheap aluminum Solas 9.25x9 prop to try out. I can see a big enough difference between the Mercury Black Max and the Solas that if it gives a decent improvement, I will buy a Mercury and keep the Solas as a backup.

Hoping to take it out this weekend and get some readings fully loaded.