Old 16 March 2019, 08:06   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Would that be ok for the Honwave

In my ongoing quest for a road trailer that will dismantle to go in the caravan and then once put together at the camp site be used to tow the Honwave T38i without the engine attached. I have found this

https://www.boatsforsale.co.uk/boats...sale-2154.html

A bit on the short side but would it be ok

Dennis
Old 16 March 2019, 09:29   #2
RIBnet Supporter

I think you deserve one
Old 16 March 2019, 16:05   #3

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
Looks great. Contact them about weight specs as it may be ok with your outboard on too.
Old 16 March 2019, 16:29   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzago View Post
Looks great. Contact them about weight specs as it may be ok with your outboard on too.
With the outboard it is the issue with it hanging over that is the concern. I don't mind putting the outboard on and off.

Idea is to travel to say The lake District or Scotland with the caravan. Sib in car (LR Disco) and trailer in parts in the caravan. Then assemble trailer at caravan site, blow up sib, put on trailer and then use it for the week or however long.

Dennis
Old 16 March 2019, 18:01   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If you still have to build and deflate the boat once, and manhandle the engine on off the transom every day, as well as setting up the boat each time for safe/legal towing I’m not sure I see a huge advantage to lugging a trailer that you still need to assemble and disassemble each holiday. How often do you caravan away from the waters edge?
Old 16 March 2019, 21:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
If you still have to build and deflate the boat once, and manhandle the engine on off the transom every day, as well as setting up the boat each time for safe/legal towing I’m not sure I see a huge advantage to lugging a trailer that you still need to assemble and disassemble each holiday. How often do you caravan away from the waters edge?
You say setting up the boat for safe towing.... That means putting it on the trailer and putting a strap across. Do it regularly takes all of 3 - 4 mins.

No real lugging the trailer it would be in 4 pieces in the centre of the caravan.
Old 16 March 2019, 22:46   #7
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
You say setting up the boat for safe towing.... That means putting it on the trailer and putting a strap across. Do it regularly takes all of 3 - 4 mins
one strap? No light board? Unloading or tying down all the loose stuff (fuel tank, anchor, etc). Don’t forget the time reversing down the slip (maybe you are a master at that and get it right first time) and then finding a suitable space and parking a car. I recon it takes me at least 20 minutes from arriving at the top of slipway to being in the boat ready to go (and usually longer!) and the same at the other end before I am ready to go home. The air floor honwave guys on Scottish SIB meet-ups have been about the same including inflation time etc.

Quote:
No real lugging the trailer it would be in 4 pieces in the centre of the caravan.

How quickly do you think you can 1. Get it out the van, assembled and ready to use? 2. Disassembled and in the van (securely in a place where the better half isn’t going to object to the road dirt getting on the furniture). If not being stored in the van in between times moved in/out the van. I’m just sceptical that you actually have a meaningful overall time saving, but you seem to have made your mind up.
Old 16 March 2019, 23:18   #8

Town: UK
Boat name: Awesome !!!
Make: F-RIB 375(S)
Engine: Suzuki 9 / 15 & 20HP
Would that be ok for the Honwave

I do similar to what you're refering to..though I use a launch trailer
Having the frib on a fold away launch trailer makes life easy when away with the tent or caravan.
Arrive on site, set the trailer and boat up and that's me sorted for the week..
No good if you need to road travel tho [emoji51]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0770.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	128749  
Old 17 March 2019, 00:05   #9

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Quote:
Idea is to travel to say The lake District or Scotland with the caravan. Sib in car (LR Disco) and trailer in parts in the caravan. Then assemble trailer at caravan site, blow up sib, put on trailer and then use it for the week or however long.
I wonder if it would be a little on the light side and be unstable, bouncing at speed or on bumpy roads?

We carried ours on the car roof, assembled it once for the two weeks and had two outboard locks and a 10m 'Python' lock that fixed the boat onshore to some immovable object. I used a cover to keep it clean and hide the fact it was brand new and a desirable steal. Insured if the worst was to happen. I also registered and stencilled a C&RT registration number in 3" size digits on one of the tubes.

Even though it was 'ready-to-go' at the water's edge it was still a faff carrying all the loose stuff, car to boat, petrol tank etc.
Old 17 March 2019, 06:15   #10

Quote:
one strap? No light board? Unloading or tying down all the loose stuff (fuel tank, anchor, etc). Don’t forget the time reversing down the slip (maybe you are a master at that and get it right first time) and then finding a suitable space and parking a car. I recon it takes me at least 20 minutes from arriving at the top of slipway to being in the boat ready to go (and usually longer!) and the same at the other end before I am ready to go home. The air floor honwave guys on Scottish SIB meet-ups have been about the same including inflation time etc.

How quickly do you think you can 1. Get it out the van, assembled and ready to use? 2. Disassembled and in the van (securely in a place where the better half isn’t going to object to the road dirt getting on the furniture). If not being stored in the van in between times moved in/out the van. I’m just sceptical that you actually have a meaningful overall time saving, but you seem to have made your mind up.
You seem to think I have just fallen out of the tree. I have trailer boated for many years and carried out the process many times. When you say all the kit, we take one bag and the fuel tank

You don't know my better half. you seem to have stereotyped women assuming they all worry about a little mess. Perhaps a couple of bags over the wheels might help here The time to take it out of the van and assemble is not relevant as that would be done in a non stressed environment at ones leisure at the camp site on arrival
Old 17 March 2019, 06:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
I do similar to what you're refering to..though I use a launch trailer
Having the frib on a fold away launch trailer makes life easy when away with the tent or caravan.
Arrive on site, set the trailer and boat up and that's me sorted for the week..
No good if you need to road travel tho [emoji51]
Just my plan but with the small road trailer mentioned at the top of this thread.

How does it work for you. Poly seems to think the sky is falling and it is a living hell leading to divorce and a foul Caravan
Old 17 March 2019, 06:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
I wonder if it would be a little on the light side and be unstable, bouncing at speed or on bumpy roads?

We carried ours on the car roof, assembled it once for the two weeks and had two outboard locks and a 10m 'Python' lock that fixed the boat onshore to some immovable object. I used a cover to keep it clean and hide the fact it was brand new and a desirable steal. Insured if the worst was to happen. I also registered and stencilled a C&RT registration number in 3" size digits on one of the tubes.

Even though it was 'ready-to-go' at the water's edge it was still a faff carrying all the loose stuff, car to boat, petrol tank etc.

Some useful information there. Trailer boating is always a faff but blowing up and deflating every day at the waters edge is I think a lot of faff, my system would reduce this considerably.

Putting the trailer together and disassembling it is not the issue as an extra I think finding a place to park the car and extra trailer each time might be
Old 17 March 2019, 07:51   #13

Quote:
Some useful information there. Trailer boating is always a faff but blowing up and deflating every day at the waters edge is I think a lot of faff
Didn't blow it up every day. Just once per holiday and stored it securely near the waterside. No need to find trailer parking then. Trailers have to pay the same exhorbitant rate as for a car space and need protection against theft and you worry it doesn't get vandalised. In Biggy's case it could be disassembled, his quick release wheels have a number of other uses.

The trailer you are looking at is designed for a lightweight rigid hull such as a sailing boat, I think you would need solid bunks not rollers.
Old 17 March 2019, 09:55   #14

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
If it’s an air deck and you have a Landrover, why not just get a roof rack instead of a trailer?
Old 17 March 2019, 12:43   #15

Length: 5m +
That is one idea I have thought about recently but has anyone experience of it? Is it practical or does it result in damage to the boat and your back?!
Old 17 March 2019, 14:14   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Poly seems to think the sky is falling and it is a living hell leading to divorce and a foul Caravan
No, I just think you’ve ignored all the downsides for minimal actual benefit. But if you want to take a trailer apart and put dirty wheels, greasy hitch and salty metal inside your living space go for it. I have no doubt your spouse must already be remarkably tolerant.

Quote:
trailer boating is always a faff but blowing up and deflating every day at the waters edge is I think a lot of faff, my system would reduce this considerably.
Why not just pick a site where you can launch without disassembly every day?

Quote:
You seem to think I have just fallen out of the tree.
it would explain a lot

Quote:
You don't know my better half. you seem to have stereotyped women assuming they all worry about a little mess. Perhaps a couple of bags over the wheels might help here
no i didn’t assume your partner was a woman at all, just that they must be the better half of the partnership! IME it doesn’t really matter the gender of the parties involved - if you trample grot through a cramped living space you are going to hear about it for a while.

Quote:
The time to take it out of the van and assemble is not relevant as that would be done in a non stressed environment at ones leisure at the camp site on arrival
In Scotland or the lakes you will probably either be doing this in the rain or whilst being eaten by midges.
Old 18 March 2019, 07:01   #17

Quote:
No, I just think you’ve ignored all the downsides for minimal actual benefit. But if you want to take a trailer apart and put dirty wheels, greasy hitch and salty metal inside your living space go for it. I have no doubt your spouse must already be remarkably tolerant.

Why not just pick a site where you can launch without disassembly every day?

it would explain a lot

no i didn’t assume your partner was a woman at all, just that they must be the better half of the partnership! IME it doesn’t really matter the gender of the parties involved - if you trample grot through a cramped living space you are going to hear about it for a while.

In Scotland or the lakes you will probably either be doing this in the rain or whilst being eaten by midges.
Remarkable number of insults. I feel I should report this post but no point as Poly is Admin..... Priceles

Instead I will just confine my reading to those posts that actually answered the questions asked
Old 18 March 2019, 07:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
If it’s an air deck and you have a Landrover, why not just get a roof rack instead of a trailer?
I have both a Discovery 2 and 3 and these are very high and I think would be difficult to get a Honwave T38I on and off
Old 18 March 2019, 07:44   #19

Quote:
I have both a Discovery 2 and 3 and these are very high and I think would be difficult to get a Honwave T38I on and off
I have a system that got it on the roof of my S-Max and after that an Audi Q7 single handed. This was in the packed deflated state though which doesn't help you so I won't elaborate.

btw, sorry but Poly seems to have made some valid points I think he genuinely tried to help. Why else post? Your answer was funny.
Old 18 March 2019, 10:28   #20

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
possability?