Old 18 March 2019, 19:25   #21

Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
In my ongoing quest for a road trailer that will dismantle to go in the caravan and then once put together at the camp site be used to tow the Honwave T38i without the engine attached. I have found this

https://www.boatsforsale.co.uk/boats...sale-2154.html

A bit on the short side but would it be ok

Dennis
Sorry to sound negative but, have you also considered the additional payload the trailer would add to the caravan?
I know it's a 'lightweight' trailer but still probably weigh 50kgs or so. With all the kit people take in caravans these days most caravanners are already very close or over the limit (without usually realising it).
With motor mover and extra gas cylinder I definitely wouldn't have the spare payload in mine to take on the extra weight.
Old 18 March 2019, 22:50   #22

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy JC View Post
With all the kit people take in caravans these days most caravanners are already very close or over the limit (without usually realising it).
With motor mover and extra gas cylinder I definitely wouldn't have the spare payload in mine to take on the extra weight.
Correct. My twin axle has a MTPLM of 1700kgs and when I took it EMPTY to the the local weighbridge it was nearly on the limit. I do have quad motor movers though.

All the heavy stuff, awning, boat, engine etc had to go in/on the car. Springs were highly compressed especially with the hitch load!
Old 19 March 2019, 06:19   #23

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy JC View Post
Sorry to sound negative but, have you also considered the additional payload the trailer would add to the caravan?
I know it's a 'lightweight' trailer but still probably weigh 50kgs or so. With all the kit people take in caravans these days most caravanners are already very close or over the limit (without usually realising it).
No issue here as it is only a 2 berth and no motor movers etc and the Disco can tow 3500kg
Old 19 March 2019, 06:53   #24

Quote:
No issue here as it is only a 2 berth and no motor movers etc and the Disco can tow 3500kg
Yes with capability like this why even bother getting it weighed? No need to worry about DVSA spot checks or fixed penalty fines and license points, who ever got pulled over anyway?
Pesky laws enforced by jobsworths with nothing better to do, take your MTPLM plate off to make it harder for them.
https://ntta.co.uk/law/law/identification-plates
Old 19 March 2019, 08:05   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Yes with capability like this why even bother getting it weighed? No need to worry about DVSA spot checks or fixed penalty fines and license points, who ever got pulled over anyway?
Pesky laws enforced by jobsworths with nothing better to do, take your MTPLM plate off to make it harder for them.
https://ntta.co.uk/law/law/identification-plates
Are you suggesting that I weigh my set up that I know is much much lower than 3500kg. The Swift Caravan site says around 1400kg do you honestly think one could multiply this by 2.5 with ones stuff. If you do then I have no interest in such nonsense and wasting peoples time on such a weighing folly
Old 19 March 2019, 08:16   #26

Quote:
Are you suggesting that I weigh my set up that I know is much much lower than 3500kg. The Swift Caravan site says around 1400kg do you honestly think one could multiply this by 2.5 with ones stuff. If you do then I have no interest in such nonsense and wasting peoples time on such a weighing folly
It's not about what your Disco can safely tow, it's about not being over the plated trailer weight and what the police or DVSA would do about it if you are. Opinon doesn't count in the eyes of the law, officially you need to ensure 1400kg is not exceeded.

Even if no prosecution they would prevent your ongoing journey.
Old 19 March 2019, 08:19   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Remarkable number of insults. I feel I should report this post but no point as Poly is Admin..... Priceles
feel free - post reports go to the whole admin team.

Quote:
Instead I will just confine my reading to those posts that actually answered the questions askedgive the answers I want
I’ve fixed that for you!
Old 19 March 2019, 08:47   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
feel free - post reports go to the whole admin team.

I’ve fixed that for you!

remarkable Perhaps you should research how a member of a forum admin team should behave
Old 19 March 2019, 08:48   #29

Quote:
It's not about what your Disco can safely tow, it's about not being over the plated trailer weight and what the police or DVSA would do about it if you are. Opinon doesn't count in the eyes of the law, officially you need to ensure 1400kg is not exceeded.

Even if no prosecution they would prevent your ongoing journey.
You are going off on a tangent to the intention of this thread into areas that are not relevant considering the small extra weight being added
Old 19 March 2019, 09:11   #30

Quote:
remarkable Perhaps you should research how a member of a forum admin team should behave
Comparing many other forums they seem to be very easy going which makes for a great community. Not trying to suck it up here just being factual.

Quote:
You are going off on a tangent to the intention of this thread into areas that are not relevant considering the small extra weight being added
It's all your other stuff adding up that's the problem and 50kg is not insignificant compared to your allowed payload, probably 30%. Good job you have a Disco to carry the heavy items. Suprised you don't have a bigger van.
Old 19 March 2019, 10:06   #31
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
There is a whole facebook group for people who don't like how this forum is moderated (which is ironic, because we are, and always have been very light touch especially compared to facebook groups!). Feel free to sign up - but keep going like this and don't be surprised if the Whinging clause in the site rules gets invoked!

Quote:
He's really not. Most caravans have a surprisingly (to me) small "payload", ie. the difference between the weight of the Van as provided and its maximum laden weight. I don't know the details for your van (but you as the driver should) but on small vans it is not uncommon for there only to be c. 100 kg for all your clothes, food, crockery etc. Don't forget to check if the gas cylinder, water/waste tank, etc were included in the "unladen" weight number. The capacity of your disco will be largely irrelevant.
Old 19 March 2019, 19:20   #32

Town: Peterborough
Make: Honwave T38
Engine: Suzuki 6hp
Old 19 March 2019, 21:07   #33
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
Yer, I bought a family size pack

When a member gets arsey on here and starts bad mouthing the members and mods, I usually glance over their previous posts in their user profile here and then google their username. It's amazing how many douchebags use the same username across multiple platforms. Generally they're as douchey elsewhere as they are here...

Old 20 March 2019, 06:18   #34

Quote:
Comparing many other forums they seem to be very easy going which makes for a great community. Not trying to suck it up here just being factual.

It's all your other stuff adding up that's the problem and 50kg is not insignificant compared to your allowed payload, probably 30%. Good job you have a Disco to carry the heavy items. Suprised you don't have a bigger van.
You seem to be thinking that just because one person takes along the kitchen sink everyone does. That is not the case with me and also there are only two of us
Old 20 March 2019, 07:59   #35

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
You seem to be thinking that just because one person takes along the kitchen sink everyone does. That is not the case with me and also there are only two of us
Its not an unrealistic assumption that you will likely be overweight the trailer takes 80kg of a likely 150kg 160kg allowance for a 2 berth van which leaves 70 kg for two peoples clothes, cooking equipment, gas, food,drinks, bedding etc you will easily exceed the vans payload
Old 21 March 2019, 14:51   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Its not an unrealistic assumption that you will likely be overweight the trailer takes 80kg of a likely 150kg 160kg allowance for a 2 berth van which leaves 70 kg for two peoples clothes, cooking equipment, gas, food,drinks, bedding etc you will easily exceed the vans payload
But not in anyway related to the actual question asked back in the original post
Old 21 March 2019, 15:08   #37

Bigplumbs did you ever find a suitable bunk trailer you could use? Obviously you can't use the roller one you originally found.

The idea could still be viable if you dismantle it and put it on roof bars.
Old 21 March 2019, 15:21   #38

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
But not in anyway related to the actual question asked back in the original post
I'd say it answers your question exactly.
Albeit in a roundabout fashion loosely translated it goes like this:-
No its not suitable its too heavy for your purpose!
Old 21 March 2019, 19:50   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I'd say it answers your question exactly.
Albeit in a roundabout fashion loosely translated it goes like this:-
No its not suitable its too heavy for your purpose!

But it isn't too heavy
Old 21 March 2019, 19:51   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
There is a whole facebook group for people who don't like how this forum is moderated (which is ironic, because we are, and always have been very light touch especially compared to facebook groups!). Feel free to sign up - but keep going like this and don't be surprised if the Whinging clause in the site rules gets invoked!

He's really not. Most caravans have a surprisingly (to me) small "payload", ie. the difference between the weight of the Van as provided and its maximum laden weight. I don't know the details for your van (but you as the driver should) but on small vans it is not uncommon for there only to be c. 100 kg for all your clothes, food, crockery etc. Don't forget to check if the gas cylinder, water/waste tank, etc were included in the "unladen" weight number. The capacity of your disco will be largely irrelevant.
Nope you don't know the details of my Van but I do